Economic Harassment Idea

xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
In NS1, we are all well aware that RT's take out a good chunk of time to kill. The current economic system needs to be reformed in order for a more RTS oriented gameplay. Keeping the game fast pace so that new players would be able to do some damage instead of just sit around holding down the mouse button waiting for the RT to go down.

We all know that RT's in NS1 cost 15 res.

But if we have the RT cost 10 res and have a maximum of 5 that cost 1 res each totaling 15 res.

Based on the NS1 system,
Resource towers cost 10 minerals. Every 8 second intervals per 1 rt would yield one resource.

But when you construct additional addons, every 1 addon would decrease the time it would take for that 1 rt to mine resources.
For example, an rt with 5 addons would yield one resource every 3 seconds. 8-5=3. An RT with 2 addons would yield one resource every 6 seconds. 8-2=6. And so forth.

For Marines, the addons will placed by the commander for marines to build individually one by one. Construction takes only a short amount of time.
For Aliens, the addons will be dropped by gorges around the resource tower.

For marines to destroy alien addons, they must be knifed to avoid unbalanced potshots to be taken at addons. RT's can still be shot down.
For aliens to destroy marine addons, they are simply just bitten off.

The rt itself would have its same large hp but the addons would have small hp to allow for individuals to harass the opposing team's economy easier. It would be a constant battle to keep harassing economy and a constant struggle to keep rebuilding the economy. If the opposing team really wants to control that nozzle and use it for their own, then the team would have to shoot down/bite down the rt itself just like in classic NS1.

The term addon used here could be replaced by whatever name sounds fit to each race. Idk.
Drone for aliens?
Miners for marines?

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Imho this idea sounds good for an RTS, but you have to consider that the fieldunits are real players in ns.
    This adds even more overall gametime to the tasks building and destroying structures, which is considered boring by some players.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753398:date=Feb 16 2010, 08:22 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 16 2010, 08:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imho this idea sounds good for an RTS, but you have to consider that the fieldunits are real players in ns.
    This adds even more overall gametime to the tasks building and destroying structures, which is considered boring by some players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Weld-bots building etc

Anyway, it's a good idea in general. Someone else suggested what I think is essentially the same concept only a lot easier on the devs to implement in that if you damage an RT it begins to slow down its resource income. Of course, it isn't exactly the same and a little less nuanced in that you start off with max income from that RT, and it isnt a choice. Overall xmaine's idea is superior.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    If you can locate and bite off an "addon" there's really no excuse not to stay and take down the entire RT unless you're under heavy fire, in which case an RT shouldn't be your focus.

I do agree though that the res game in NS is a chore, both in building and more so destroying. But I think it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to RTS.

I think some of your idea can be salvaged in that it would be nice to have a lower starting cost for RTs that can then later be upgraded in the field to produce higher benefits/yield. But this is largely a parallel to electrify.
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    I see this more as an upgrade that could also be built over time, like electrifying or advanced turret factory. It takes 60 seconds and costs as much as the RT. So, there's more incentive to protect the RTs because there's more invested in them.

As for ways to destroy an RT faster, I don't like them. If a single skulk could go around the map and quickly destroy RTs, then electrify would be more useless and every rt would require a turret farm. A stronger RT encourages teamwork among the aliens so that a single skulk isn't there forever. It's also a good incentive to get adrenaline.

I don't think it would be such a good idea to destroy add-ons separately. It seems a bit redundant and it would be easier to just increase the overall hp of the RT. That would also make it harder to destroy... another incentive to upgrade them.

Otherwise, it's a good idea. You aren't limited to the number of resource nozzles. This could definitely help if your team has less RTs and the enemy team hasn't upgraded theirs. I also like the idea that the efficiency of a damaged RT is lowered.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2010
    This is an ok idea.

Its in Supreme Commander and provides incencitives for commander to upgrade tactically defensible nodes. There's a bit of a drawback, because it provides incencitives to sit on nodes aswell and not capture extra nodes. However it also provides incencitives for aliens not to ignore PG's and work together to take them down. Sometimes marines are on defense but bad aliens still cannot get the PG's down, meaning this kind of upgrade would give marines some benefit for holding a PG near a RT for long.

Just call it LvL X RT imo.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753400:date=Feb 16 2010, 09:42 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 16 2010, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you can locate and bite off an "addon" there's really no excuse not to stay and take down the entire RT unless you're under heavy fire, in which case an RT shouldn't be your focus.

I do agree though that the res game in NS is a chore, both in building and more so destroying. But I think it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to RTS.

I think some of your idea can be salvaged in that it would be nice to have a lower starting cost for RTs that can then later be upgraded in the field to produce higher benefits/yield. But this is largely a parallel to electrify.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You probably don't know what an RTS is.

Thats like saying when you do a reaver drop or a 2fac fast vulture rush harassment in starcraft, theres no excuse not to stay and take out the enemy command center/nexus/hatchery.

The addon idea is like destroying peons in starcraft. Every peon destroyed slightly puts the team at an advantage.
    edited February 2010
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    This should be in the game imo
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    A different idea for the alien node:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108865&view=findpost&p=1752892" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....t&p=1752892</a>

I'm still not sure, if I like this idea for marine res towers and its effects, but for aliens it might be useful. Considering that marines have mobile sieges now and can attack node-only rooms with it, while on their way pressuring the next tech-room, I think it might be good to make alien res nodes a little stronger, but give marines the ability to "disable" them as long as they hold the area.
    So marines need to put more effort into taking over a node-room, but less effort than aliens into disabling the income from a node-room.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753607:date=Feb 17 2010, 11:13 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 17 2010, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A different idea for the alien node:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108865&view=findpost&p=1752892" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....t&p=1752892</a>

I'm still not sure, if I like this idea for marine res towers and its effects, but for aliens it might be useful. Considering that marines have mobile sieges now and can attack node-only rooms with it, while on their way pressuring the next tech-room, I think it might be good to make alien res nodes a little stronger, but give marines the ability to "disable" them as long as they hold the area.
    So marines need to put more effort into taking over a node-room, but less effort than aliens into disabling the income from a node-room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems a little complicated. The thing is that all the marines have to do is take potshots at a resource tower from afar to effectively do damage to the alien economy.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I'd really like an idea like this implement into the game.

The idea that RT's have more states than simply there or not there adds depth.

-I like both the addon idea and the lvls idea maybe could be that each race get one implementation. asymetry win!

-Having a small reward for a hit an run attack would definetely be good. However it should be posible for the commanders to bring their RT back to full capacity over time without the need for marines or gorges. Like the marines need to do the initial build and then the commander does the addon upgrades (over time).

-I like the idea that an RT which is held for a long time becomes increasingly more productive and an increasinly more delicious target.

-The idea that a damage RT works slower goes hand in hand with that idea they have about the power grid failing (ligths flashing off and back on).

details need to be worked on, But I trust that if UWE works on this concept (which has been heavily discussed before) they would be able to come up with a really fun and balanced mechanic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753596:date=Feb 17 2010, 04:21 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 17 2010, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You probably don't know what an RTS is.
    Thats like saying when you do a reaver drop or a 2fac fast vulture rush harassment in starcraft, theres no excuse not to stay and take out the enemy command center/nexus/hatchery.
    The addon idea is like destroying peons in starcraft. Every peon destroyed slightly puts the team at an advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You probably don't know what NS is, since that's what I was referring to, not SC. To fix your broken analogy, it's about as useful as going in to 'harass' their MF addons.

In short: Having RTs reduce in efficiency with greater damage - yes. Confusing the player with having to destroy addons instead of the main structure - no.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Best system imo is % res generation based on health of node.

Simple.

Works.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753939:date=Feb 19 2010, 12:16 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 19 2010, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Best system imo is % res generation based on health of node.

Simple.

Works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All marines have to do is take potshots at the RT from afar to reduce the efficiency of the alien economic system.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    That's easily solved by the map maker, and imo could add a nice spin to different areas. Kind of like naturals with ledges or room behind the minerals etc in SC.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753947:date=Feb 19 2010, 12:52 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 19 2010, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All marines have to do is take potshots at the RT from afar to reduce the efficiency of the alien economic system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like a piece of cake, just as it is now. No, wait...

Aliens are more than capable of hurting marines that are stuck in one position. I can't see why that would change in NS2, especially now that they've got the alien commander to give them even more approaches.

In general I can see MG dealing 1/2 or even 1/4 damage to alien structures if there's a problem with the economy. However, I don't like rules that contradict the basic rules of the game (ie. "You can shoot buildings to hurt them") or rules that lock you to one approach to the situation (ie. "Only your knife deals damage to this kind of buildings").
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753947:date=Feb 18 2010, 06:52 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 18 2010, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All marines have to do is take potshots at the RT from afar to reduce the efficiency of the alien economic system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just like what they do now if they don't want to walk into the OC around the corner. Comm, drop ammo and let's spam LMGs and GLs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753947:date=Feb 18 2010, 07:52 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 18 2010, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All marines have to do is take potshots at the RT from afar to reduce the efficiency of the alien economic system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and are we forgetting alien structures will most likely heal themselves as in NS1?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    i remember reading this idea. I'd like it a little better if the expansion slots were predetermined by the mapper as opposed to having every node give up to 5 slots. This would encourage expanding and reward map control as the only nodes with 5 expansions would be those in the center / outside of the team's base and natural expansion.

But this or damaged RT's giving less resources would be a great improvement over NS1.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    How about giving mappers ability to set addon positions near the node? At that point one node could for example have 2 easily defendable and one challenging addon position. Another could have just 2 safe ones and no 3rd one at all. Such system could add some map specific build orders.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2010
    Node-specific addons is a good idea.

Besides adding variety to maps it allows for a simple and viable balancing tool. Instead of having to rework a map's entire structure and layout, mappers have the option of adding or removing available addons to nodes to alter that area's strategic importance. Incentives for teams to push outwards would be maintained by placing less importance on nearby nodes but this is up to the mapper's discretion. A natural progression would be for relocations to become more viable and useful. Additionally, by making it so that a resource tower has stages of development, it reduces the stagnation of a particular area. Currently in NS, if a resource tower is a sizeable distance away, there is little reason to venture towards it unless there is intent to destroy it. What this means is that area becomes relatively static compared to other areas of the map. Multi-stage resource towers go some ways to fixing this. As a general rule, information gathering would become more important and responsive styles of play would be encouraged which is a good thing! When a particular tactic or development illicits a response, dynamic strategy is born.

It's worth noting that the addon or levelUP idea need not apply to both teams. Potentially, scouting areas far away is too much to ask of marines for example. It's also possible that if aliens are, indeed, given a similar system, they could benefit to a different extent to compensate for unforeseen consequences.

If it is decided that resource nodes should be homogenously designed then I advise that returns should be diminishing in order to maintain incentives to play aggressively rather than reduce the game to sitting on their behinds. Perhaps they should be diminishing anyway.