Development Blog Update - Spark Engine Questions and Answers #1

13»

Comments

• iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750500:date=Feb 3 2010, 03:31 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 3 2010, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, good job not starting a flamewar by insulting the opposition...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, I don't want to insult or anything like that. I was just curious of why such a creative and dynamic company would make a game that utilizes a closed API of which only main advantage over OpenGL is that it's widely in use due to general misinformation? From what I've read, OpenGL is superior in virtually every other thing. But I guess it's a reasonable excuse if they're making it mainly for Windows and XBox and if they're already familiar with DirectX rather than OpenGL.
  • Nima_Nima_ Join Date: 2007-08-30 Member: 62083Members
    "As an alternative to doing it ourselves, we've considered "open sourcing" or publishing the low-level APIs for the pieces that are Windows specific and inviting community members to contribute their own implementation."

Great idea! Personally I wouldn't bother working on it, but I am sure plenty of nix/mac people will.

You guys are really forward thinking, I wish the rest of the games industry wasn't so retarded.
  • SpaaTTeLiSpaaTTeLi Join Date: 2008-07-17 Member: 64646Members
    edited February 2010
    I had to dig up my Unknownworlds forum account just for this :P Have been reading the news quite often althought.

I think you could replace steam with some kind of browser ran server list/friends service. Even if you wouldnt have internet connection and would like to play LAN games I dont think its that big of a hassle to connect through the console or you could save the HTML (or etc) clientto your computer? Might happen that you guys wont have to do this by yourselves because Game-monitor and other(?) sites/programs will propably add NS2 to the find able games.

But I didnt think you answered if we'd get a console version? Would be awesome if you could play with the same key PS3 and PC versions of the game. With console version you should have an icon which shows that your playing with a pad so you wouldnt get burned alive for sucking so bad ;)

E: clearing the post up just a bit...
    E2: Too late :), all thease have been told already. Oh well...
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750454:date=Feb 3 2010, 07:29 AM:name=booiiing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (booiiing @ Feb 3 2010, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe you could use <a href="http://www.linuxgames.com/xqf/index.shtml" target="_blank">XQF</a> as a server-browser on linux?
    the project seem quite dead, but it is actually stable and useable and maybe adding a new game to it will be less effort than providing your own server-browser?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be enough for me to buy NS and play it on Linux.
    The project may be more or less dead, but it's GPL licensed so the code can always be picked up and modified.
  • KlischeepunkKlischeepunk Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68627Members
    thanks for these Q&A's

I'd be pleased to see a Linux Port in a Post-Release. I don't care if you guys do all the work or OS it for the comm, but I guess the com can do this job, so why hold all the work back for yourself :)
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1750410:date=Feb 3 2010, 12:46 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Feb 3 2010, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yay, a Max post! I'm sure the one or two Mac and Linux gamers will be pleased by the cross-platform talk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We are much more than you think. Thanks for supporting or trying to support OSX. Good work.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1750868:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:41 AM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonserniJohtaja @ Feb 5 2010, 07:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, I don't want to insult or anything like that. I was just curious of why such a creative and dynamic company would make a game that utilizes a closed API of which only main advantage over OpenGL is that it's widely in use due to general misinformation? From what I've read, OpenGL is superior in virtually every other thing. But I guess it's a reasonable excuse if they're making it mainly for Windows and XBox and if they're already familiar with DirectX rather than OpenGL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OpenGL should be the only way. It would be nice also to have OpenCL support too!!
    <!--quoteo(post=1750534:date=Feb 3 2010, 06:16 PM:name=Enrico)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enrico @ Feb 3 2010, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is interesting that you consider opening your backend interfaces, but do not even bother to answer your emails/PMs when people offer you guys to do the Linx/Mac/OpenGL-port for basically free... This would enable you to release the game for these platforms maybe together with the Windows-game and get you more publicity...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it is not hard to find someone who want to help porting the game on OSX or Linux for free/little.
  • EnricoEnrico Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70010Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1752415:date=Feb 11 2010, 11:31 AM:name=ikir)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ikir @ Feb 11 2010, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it is not hard to find someone who want to help porting the game on OSX or Linux for free/little.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is simple, but UW does not care really (see above).
  • m3atwadm3atwad Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70075Members
    devs-
    you guys are doing a great job.
    i'm stoked about this game. natural selection has always been one of those games that, to me, really stands out for its originality. there's just nothing else like it.
    keep up the good work!
    :)