The Spark/NS2 Lua API

UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
Greetings, strange people. I've been thinking about NS2 mapping and modding a fair bit over the last few months - particularly in regards to scripted map features - and am wondering if there is any code and/or documentation available concerning the Lua APIs for Spark and/or the NS2 game code. I, and most likely others as well, have several ideas for gameplay-affecting map features that are (hopefully) interesting but not gimmicky, and would like to begin development as soon as possible; but without any details about the APIs, the limitations of "map-side" scripting are unknown, and writing code for them is impossible. Therefore I ask: Do the extra strange people comprising the development team have any resources that they can share with the community at this time? And if not, when might they be ready?

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2010
    At the moment there are no Resources, Documentations or Test builds with Lua, i'm sorry.
    But I believe there working on it and we get the first glimpse with the Alpha Release "soon".

Thats all I know. Maybe Comprox, the Moderator will have an accurate answer.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749654:date=Jan 29 2010, 07:28 PM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Jan 29 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment there are no Resources, Documentations or Test builds with Lua, i'm sorry.
    But I believe there working on it and we get the first glimpse with the Alpha Release "soon".

Thats all I know. Maybe Comprox, the Moderator will have an accurate answer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, I know that none have been released yet - that's why I'm asking the developers if they're ready to provide some, or when they think they might be if they aren't.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    The best clue we have right now is a recent blog post announcing that Alpha is "coming soon".
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1749658:date=Jan 29 2010, 12:46 AM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Jan 29 2010, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, I know that none have been released yet - that's why I'm asking the developers if they're ready to provide some, or when they think they might be if they aren't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not yet, although we have been working on documentation of the scripting API recently.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749699:date=Jan 29 2010, 08:22 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 29 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not yet, although we have been working on documentation of the scripting API recently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Working with undocumented features is just excruciating (I'm looking at you, GMod).
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I hope we'll be getting a full documentation of the network protocol too.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749699:date=Jan 30 2010, 04:22 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 30 2010, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not yet, although we have been working on documentation of the scripting API recently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most excellent. I look forward to reading it.

On a related note: Which variant of Decoda licence is included with NS2? And for those of us who have preordered, is that licence already active?
  • LuaPineappleLuaPineapple Join Date: 2008-10-25 Member: 65296Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1749701:date=Jan 29 2010, 12:50 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Jan 29 2010, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you, thank you, thank you. Working with undocumented features is just excruciating (I'm looking at you, GMod).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that's if they even work. Which they often don't due to bitrot.

I'm really interested in the API for NS2, hopefully it'll be evenly polished.
    Not crashing every time you do something slightly out of the ordinary will be nice too.

Any heads up that we should know of regarding NWing issues?