Alien attribute customization

NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
<div class="IPBDescription">current status?</div>A while back Charlie showed us a schematic of how Alien players (or was it just the commander?) could choose different upgrades paths (or was it back a forth?) for each lifeform. For example sacrificing speed for strength for armor. Y'all remember that? Sorry, I can't find the link. I was wondering what is the latest news about this upgrade system (UWE feel free to chime in) also how are players feeling about it? ideas? and predictions?

I'm really not sure what to predict except for the fact that it probably has seen several changes since that shown design draft.

As far as ideas and hopes go. I really hope that the upgrade system decisions are shared between the commander and the players (much like with the marines).

For example the alien commander could decide what species to spent credits on to make it stronger for the whole team (have more upgrade points) but then players can have a free choice of how to distribute the points for their own instance.

For example the base lerk could have:

Lerk (20/40)

Whatever 5/10
Attack 5/10
Speed 5/10
Defense 5/10

Where the commander can upgrade the total from 20/40 to 25/40 and so on.
Then players could distribute the points individually going attack heavy and defense heavy according to their on skill.*

*There should also be a limit on how many points one is able to deviate from center on each skill so at the beginning of the game you don't get skulks with extreme abilities (spuer speed or super armor).

I don't have a solid system to suggest but I hope at least you all get the idea, like it, and run with it.

Comments

• PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    What was wrong with the NS1 alien upgrade system, or something revolving around that? Sitting around balancing and throwing around skillpoints seems overcomplicated and silly to me...Also reminds me in a very bad way of Xmenu. gross.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    The HL zombie mod BrainBread pulled this off decently, but for NS it's much too RPG-ish and tedious. It's also approaching the "no hidden modifiers" rule.
  • CrazyFarmerCrazyFarmer Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70306Members
    I too think it would be too tedious to have, besides it just wouldn't be on par with the abilities of NS1

I mean think about the cloaking onos
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749016:date=Jan 24 2010, 07:31 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Jan 24 2010, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What was wrong with the NS1 alien upgrade system, or something revolving around that? Sitting around balancing and throwing around skillpoints seems overcomplicated and silly to me...Also reminds me in a very bad way of Xmenu. gross.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The NS1 system sucked. It made your respawn times longer with the tedious upgrade clicking and gestation periods. I'd like to just spawn with upgrades. Or at least or let you choose your upgrades while dead and respawning.

When you're continually suiciding as a skulk to rush somewhere important in the late game, upgrade times really suck.

As for the suggestion in the first post, that sounds pretty good, actually. I like the trade off system. Sometimes you'd want Maximum Armor and sometimes you'd want Maximum Speed. And if the NS2 Developers plug in the Crysis robot-suit voices when someone picks an extreme upgrade spread, I will die a happy nerd.
  • CrazyFarmerCrazyFarmer Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70306Members
    Then they could favor something like a "loadout" where you choose your abilities before spawning instead.

It seriously is similar to those horrible plugins in NS that seem to be in all those combat servers. (Not that I go on these) I'd rather see a set of unique abilities than something like this
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749154:date=Jan 25 2010, 05:04 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Jan 25 2010, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS1 system sucked. It made your respawn times longer with the tedious upgrade clicking and gestation periods. I'd like to just spawn with upgrades. Or at least or let you choose your upgrades while dead and respawning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dunno, it's a direct parallel to marines having to wait for comm drop + ammo load. although phasetech does offset this a bit.
    I'd be interested to see how saved "loadouts" play out.

edit: and this really should be in I&S
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749154:date=Jan 25 2010, 11:04 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Jan 25 2010, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS1 system sucked. It made your respawn times longer with the tedious upgrade clicking and gestation periods. I'd like to just spawn with upgrades. Or at least or let you choose your upgrades while dead and respawning.

When you're continually suiciding as a skulk to rush somewhere important in the late game, upgrade times really suck.

As for the suggestion in the first post, that sounds pretty good, actually. I like the trade off system. Sometimes you'd want Maximum Armor and sometimes you'd want Maximum Speed. And if the NS2 Developers plug in the Crysis robot-suit voices when someone picks an extreme upgrade spread, I will die a happy nerd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, its much better to sit around throwing numbers about thinking "hmmmm, now do I want 8 or 9 points to speed...well if I did that, how about 4 points to armor? No...then I can't do 5 points to attack...hmmmmm..."

It just seems too tedious for NS. Even MORESO than the "repetetive gestating on every spawn."
  • ClinkClink Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67728Members
    I dig the idea, but I hafta agree with the over complication responses.

Allow alien commanders to individually upgrade celerity, speed of cloaking, etc.

Would spice up gameplay and give incentives for players to try different "builds." To top it off it would help speed up the wrapping up of a game.