Caprica, The TV Series

Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Battlestar Galactica before BSG!</div>So I suppose that a number of you have enjoyed the new Battlestar Galactica series. That series being over, a spinoff called Caprica was created. The pilot was aired yesterday on the SciFi Channel in the US.

Caprica is focused on life in the Colonies (well, Caprica actually) before the Cylon Wars.

Anyway, for those who have loved BSG, check this out. For those who haven't seen BSG, it is accessible without watching BSG.
For those who have already watched the pilot; what did you think about it?

Comments

• HAMMER22HAMMER22 Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17476Members
    I actually quite enjoyed it, their take on a future society seemed pretty interesting if quite conservative. As for the story it looks good but with the whole setting being before both cylon wars there won't be any space battles which is a major disappointment as I liked the grittyness of BSG's battles. :(

Also I didn't like the end at all <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>The girl becoming the first cylon prototype and doing the whole, omg I'm a machine and "Daddy" thing. Meh, didn't resonate with me at all. Also the fact the Dad made the other guys daughter come back to life too seemed a bit much, I got the impression the girl (argh what are the names) took a long time to perfect her copy.</span>

Overall not bad, might watch it but I'll definitely give it a few episodes more.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I watched it, it was OK, I'll probably watch more of it. I actually just started watching BSG, I'm only a few episodes in, so watching the two shows simultaneously could either be interesting or confusing, we'll see.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1748812:date=Jan 23 2010, 02:48 PM:name=HAMMER22)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HAMMER22 @ Jan 23 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I didn't like the end at all <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>The girl becoming the first cylon prototype and doing the whole, omg I'm a machine and "Daddy" thing. Meh, didn't resonate with me at all. Also the fact the Dad made the other guys daughter come back to life too seemed a bit much, I got the impression the girl (argh what are the names) took a long time to perfect her copy.</span><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I thought that actually explained a lot of stuff about the original series. For example, <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>the fact that the Cylons worship one god in BSG, or the fact that they want to become human so much. It also explains why they are so good at making 'fake' humans act so much like real humans. It seemed cliched plot-wise, but explained a lot about how the Cylons were in BSG which I found very cool</span>. I'll watch it and see how it goes.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Is this aired version any different to the sneak release like a year ago?
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I bought the entire series of BSG on DVD but it turned out it only went halfway through the final season.

Can someone use the spoiler text and tell me how the show finished off please :s
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>you seriously don't wanna know sherpa, it's bad</span>
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sherpa, I am going to assume a few things about where you finished off. Stolen from wikipedia:

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>In the final episodes, a resurrected Kara Thrace leads the surviving humans and Cylons to a new planet which is clearly the Earth of present-day humanity, with the first colonists landing in Africa. Adama names their new home planet Earth, as a tribute to the "real" Earth of legend which had been originally sought by the survivors. The original Earth was revealed to have been a different planet entirely, one which, like Kobol, had become an uninhabitable wasteland as a consequence of a war waged by its own Cylon creations thousands of years before. The new Earth is found to be already inhabited by humans who are genetically compatible with the humans from the Galactica and the rest of the fleet, but who possess only the most meager beginnings of civilization. Human beings had apparently naturally evolved on both Earth and Kobol, the original home world of the twelve colonies. The surviving humans and humanoid Cylons decide to live on the new planet and discard all technology, destroying all of their spaceships by flying them into the Sun. Kara Thrace, apparently an "angel" since her purportedly fatal crash on the "Earth" of legend, disappears. The surviving Cylon Centurions are given possession of the remaining Cylon basestar and proceed to jump away from Earth, never to be heard from again.

The series finale concludes with an epilogue set "150,000 years later" in present day Times Square, as two "angels," in the form of Caprica Six and Gaius Baltar, muse on the origin and fate of present-day humankind, and on whether or not the cycle of violence between human and machine will repeat yet again. It is revealed that all present-day humans on Earth are descended from the half-human, half-Cylon girl named Hera, who lived out the remainder of her life in Africa 150,000 years ago, contemporaneous with Mitochondrial Eve. Consequently, the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is a myth of origin for modern Homo Sapiens, taking place in our collective pre-historic past rather than future history.</span>
    Thank you Comprox!

And that's a terrible ending for a good series :(
    probably would have been worse if you'd watched it for yourself; also there's plot missing from it since I believe mid season 4 is <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'> before the gaeta coup d'etat // sam becoming a ship control computer thing (lol) // rescuing hera from Cavil</span>
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Yeah, comprox's description is all pretty much in the very last episode IIRC
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2010
    Meh, I still can't get over the fact they took away Starbucks didly and replaced it with a hooha! That and the disturbing lack of their real arch nemesis the Cylons, instead of these human Cylons (har har) in the new BG. This Caprica has real Cylons, or so I hear/read?

I'll be over there with the nostalgia peeps :P
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There was a battlestar galactica remake? What kind of mental trauma could have wiped such a thing from my memory?
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the show was good upto the 4th season then totally fell apart like a house of bricks. One big WTF.
    Bryan Singer is gonna make his own BSG movie tho for the big screen, with some of the actors from the classic 70's BSG.
    Caprica was an instant turn off for me, sad acting for a pilot.
    tbh I think alarm bells should ring when they start using Bob Dylan songs as plot themes <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>(and don't start going on about biblical connections ;p)</span>