Gun Scopes / Point of Veiw

2»

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1749693:date=Jan 29 2010, 11:05 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 29 2010, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm saying that NS ###### 2 will look outdated, and be disappointing in this area to those that expect said features, if it doesn't have said features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Disappointing to you maybe.

As well as being disappointing to me if the game played like every other slow mainstream fps.

In a game where you die faster than your boots can hit the floor, I'd rather not move like a tank.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749693:date=Jan 29 2010, 05:05 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 29 2010, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm saying that NS ###### 2 will look outdated, and be disappointing in this area to those that expect said features, if it doesn't have said features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

outdated because it isn't like MW2? Because EVERY other game these days uses ionsights amirite?

And what I was saying is that by your previous comment, you're basically admitting you want NS2 to be another streamlined like-every-other-game game. "IF IT ISN'T LIKE MW2 AND EVERY OTHER GAME OUT THERE THEN ITS GONNA SUCK."
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    I agree with everyone who said that maps would not be large enough for scopes/iron sights to be very useful.

But, if iron sights are added, I wonder what would be added to the aliens to balance out the teams.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    edited January 2010
    I think everyone is getting way too upset about this issue. If they add iron sights, the game won't immediately slow to a crawl and become terrible. And like-wise, if there aren't iron sights, it will still be still be fun and tactical.

I mainly play counter-strike so I am really comfortable without iron sights. However, after playing tons of Killing Floor, I realize that they can actually be pretty sweet. I love movement controls in games, and the ability to move my gun for better aim is just really satisfying to me. Feels like you are controlling the weapon more, and games are about control.

Also, I feel the game wouldn't be slowed down much from iron sights because it's not like you can't move while looking down the barrel of the gun, and you can definitely still kill things from hip shooting. Even if it caused the marines to slow down a bit I think that might actually help the teams be more asymmetrical. Aliens are supposed to be the quick reckless ones I assumed.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749837:date=Jan 30 2010, 07:05 PM:name=Norton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Norton @ Jan 30 2010, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I feel the game wouldn't be slowed down much from iron sights because it's not like you can't move while looking down the barrel of the gun, and you can definitely still kill things from hip shooting. Even if it caused the marines to slow down a bit I think that might actually help the teams be more asymmetrical. Aliens are supposed to be the quick reckless ones I assumed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You almost always move at walking or near-walking pace when using ionsights. Good luck with that when 2 or 3 skulks drop down next to you when you enter a room.

Also, I think its a bad assumption to make, and moving in the wrong direction, to say that marines are supposed to be *slow.*
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749837:date=Jan 30 2010, 07:05 PM:name=Norton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Norton @ Jan 30 2010, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I feel the game wouldn't be slowed down much from iron sights because it's not like you can't move while looking down the barrel of the gun, and you can definitely still kill things from hip shooting. Even if it caused the marines to slow down a bit I think that might actually help the teams be more asymmetrical. Aliens are supposed to be the quick reckless ones I assumed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a difference between the main design pillars and asymmetry. NS has both.

Res system: Both teams use the same res, but with different res model.

The RTS elements: Both teams have RTS elements, but aliens are more individualistic on their approach.

Combat: Both teams have the arcadey fighting system, but marines are ranged and aliens melee based.

I'd consider the <b>arcadey</b> fighting system the key design pillar while the asymmetry comes from the melee vs ranged. I know the division is rather blunt and biased towards the NS1 style gameplay, but that's how I see and also like it.