Playlist Generator based on Song Analysis

Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
edited January 2010 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Does anyone know if a free one exists somewhere?</div>I'm looking for a playlist generator that will generate a playlist based on what "mood" I'm in. Heavy metal is generally loud/busy, folk is generally quiet/peaceful, standard rock is somewhere in the middle along with electronica/techno/etc. If I'm feeling down, I may be inclined to listen to some slower music or just music that is quieter. When I'm happier, I'm more inclined to listen to electronica or faster/louder music. I've seen a playlist generator before that analyzed songs based on the average frequencies in the song, etc. but that was a long time ago.

I would prefer either a standalone application that saves the playlists generated as some sort of format (that I can later convert) or an application that uses the same format that Zune does (or has the ability to export at least). Google searches have brought up results for either theoretical implementations of such an application, or plugins for other media applications. I would prefer if it the playlist generator wasn't part of another media player either.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Edit: I'm on Windows XP.

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited January 2010
    I listen to almost all my music online these days so I can't help much. Most online create-your-own radio station sites will let you create various radio stations to suit your moods, but that won't really help you make playlists out of the songs you already own.

You mentioned Zune. The latest software actually has this pretty much built in. You can pick an artist or artists and the "smart DJ" will create a mix for you from your songs based on similar stuff.

<a href="http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/zunesoftware/smartdj.htm" target="_blank">http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersgui...are/smartdj.htm</a>

I'm glad you posted, almost forgot to spend my 10 free song credits this month =p
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    Smart DJ and Autoplaylists only use the Artist, Album, Genre, etc. to generate the playlists, which isn't that helpful if you're looking for something more specific to each song. Thanks though and I'm glad I reminded you :D
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I typically use stuff like Pandora and Slacker Radio to generate playlists based on song types/genre/feel. And they typically have fairly solid pre-made ones so you don't have to fiddle with making your own, just start with their base one and tweak as you need.

Beyond that, i.e. analyzing it ad-hoc, I personally haven't heard of anything. Anyone else more musically awesome than me?
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    If you want a specific genre depending on your mood wouldn't the logical flow lead you to make playlist entirely of that genre? All media players provide a system with which to do that...
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    "Genre" is very broad. "Rock" music can be slow, hard, soft, just really loud, mostly composed of screaming. Electronica is even more complicated. A song that sounds like Trance but ends up being Hard House. Genres don't really convey a mood, they describe a type of music. If I want to listen to soft/gloomy music, that playlist can be comprised of trance, house, rock, pop, etc.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    A fullerene is any molecule composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube. Spherical fullerenes are also called buckyballs, and cylindrical ones are called carbon nanotubes or buckytubes. Fullerenes are similar in structure to graphite, which is composed of stacked graphene sheets of linked hexagonal rings; but they may also contain pentagonal (or sometimes heptagonal) rings.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Winamp has a HUGE selection of internet radio stations that work pretty good. Its what I've used for years :)