Graphic death animations

SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
I've done my best to research and see if this has been answered, and aside from Cory saying there will be scripted and physics based deaths, I have a question for the team.

As we all know, the HL engine had no way to properly do good death animations, let alone graphic ones. I personally feel NS has a pretty hostile environment between the Frontiersman and Kharaa, and I think back then there was no real way to do justice aside from the disgusting yet awesome Devour screen for properly reflecting the intensity of conflict.

Games like Soldier of Fortune kind of started a binge of physics and location visible damage in an effort to increase the intensity and atmosphere of the game, and I would like to know the NS2 direction on this front for Marine and Alien death, albiet alien death being quite a bit easier to work with. I personally feel that the Kharaa have quite a few brutal tools at their disposal. The Fade has giant blades for hands, the piercing spines from the Lerk, the Skulks bite, and the list could go on with older things such as the acid rocket or the Onos horn gore.

Do you guys plan on adding graphic player death animations such as limb removal, spine impaling, and torso separation into the game? (I'm not suggesting some super elaborate SoF style, simply some scripted scenes that involve *gasp* real human blood) My biggest, true fear about NS2 has always been maintaining it's fantastic atmosphere, and poor death animations that seen unrealistic really kill it in my opinion.

Can any devs shed some light on your game plan for this aspect of the game?

Comments

• Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    Seriously? you'd literally have to bend over backwards not to trip over the many topics posted here and in I&S discussing this, in fact there's an active one right now: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108585" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=108585</a>

Cory has already stated numerous times that death animations will be a mixture of rigged animation + physics ragdoll and it's practically been mainstay knowledge since DAY 1 that NS, including NS2, will not feature a "horror" element, no dismemberment, no gore - but that's enough of me repeating myself for one day.