Seagate HDD problem

PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Barracuda 7200.11 500gb</div>So hum.. just so you know if you have that specific hard drive and you've bought it before 2009 it will fail in any moment now on a boot up. Maybe not today, maybe just in a couple months.

To avoid this, you have to update the firmware. Go to the seagate's website for that.

It happened to me and I wouldn't like that to happen to other people as it already did for a lot. I wasn't aware of that issue and now I will probably lose a Lot of valuable files as this was my main storage disk.

There are some ways that can be tried to recover the data, and I certainly will try them.

Just passing the word.

PS. I also lost all progress of my NS2 map which was about 75% done. I'm so mad right now !

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Like a guy in my compsci class said: Real men don't make backups. They just cry when all their data disappear.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Ya well.. I'll become a sissy if that is it and buy 3 external 1 TB drive and backup my stuff thrice damn it !

Well, my brother had this problem too, along with so many people it seems, and I have a slight chance to get my data back, it might just be the controller that burned up. It can be replaced.

Anyways. I'll hope for the best.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    We lost the HDD where we had all the data from the movie we recorded. About 500gig worth of data....
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    I prefer to first backup all my data on two 1TB external USB drives. Each month these drives are selectively backed up onto large underground magnetic tape drives inside of an abandoned nuclear bunker. Twice annually the binary data from these drives are laser engraved into a secluded mountain-side in canada so that our childrens childrens children can enjoy my downloaded music collection.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    lol Xyth, yea I've thought of that but too time consuming.

Anyways, the purpose of this post was just to warn people that sooner or later this is going to happen to everyone that has this exact drive bought before January 2009 if they didn't upgrade the firmware.