Outdoor Lighting / Commander View / Culling

SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
edited January 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Addressing outdoor lighting, interior light bleed and commander view.</div>I have a concern to raise about level design for areas with outside views..
See <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/videos/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/videos/</a> - Videocast 5 : Engine Preview, Stop @ 1:58.

I have a similar setup to that corridoor, Problem is that you have to build the exteroir walls on the celing also to stop the Enviroment light pouring though the back of the interior walls.
This solves the problem with the corridoor being lit by the enviroment thus only comming in through the windows and not everywhere.
Problem is then the commander view is blocked by these exterior walls.

In NS1 we had the skybox and the need to seal the level, so light never poured through the back of walls in the HL1 Engine from outdoor scenes.
So, What is there going to be implimented for the blocking of light comming through celings without blocking commander view.

1) Will there be a "Block Light" texture?
or
2) Sky box

Also, will the be a "Commander Culling Plane" we can place to tell the engine not to draw things above it so planes & props dont visualy or physicly block commander actions.
It is important to know as soon as possible because this strongly effects the design of the geometry... How the celings are made and if the outside area is made as a room with skybox textures.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Hrr light going through the back of polygons would seem to cause more problems than it solves.

By default I would want faces to block light unless otherwise specified, there are situations where you might want to send light through a brush but it should be on a per light/brush basis as it is in max and xsi.