Giving away map ideas for real mappers to fill out?

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Any mapper out there looking to work on other works?</div>Howdy, I've been messing around with the editor and have done a fairly complicated level that I think could be pretty fun, but I cannot possibly do all of the polishing/filling in, I just don't have the experience or time. Would any mapper out there like to work on other's basic map concepts?

Specialization in the map making process might produce some more interesting designs.

Thoughts?

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    how about a community map?
    someone does the overview and then you get a whole bunch of people to do each room and hallway seperately (of course they need to line up lol)

there are heaps of people that would love to be involved in making a map but most don't have the time to make a full sized map - yet can easily contribute to a small room or a hallway etc
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745806:date=Jan 5 2010, 03:14 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jan 5 2010, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about a community map?
    someone does the overview and then you get a whole bunch of people to do each room and hallway seperately (of course they need to line up lol)

there are heaps of people that would love to be involved in making a map but most don't have the time to make a full sized map - yet can easily contribute to a small room or a hallway etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is there an easy way to export modules at this point? I am not up to date on that sort of thing with the editor. The difficult part is, of course, combining iterations... I should think that unless someone comes up with an NS map version control service perhaps one person should do it.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    The editor doesn't have the the functionality yet to properly build a "community" map.

It would be nice though.

Map layout would have to be really explicit. Stating specific comments about corridors, ceiling types, vent sizes, etc.
  • ozbirdboyozbirdboy Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61827Confirm Email
    I like the sounds of this.

Like Pipi mentioned you would need to lay the groundwork first with the dimensions and stuff; after that just let everyone create their own room and then join them at the end. Would be interesting to see a variety of different design styles throughout one level.
    <!--quoteo(post=1745825:date=Jan 5 2010, 06:19 PM:name=Kalopsia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalopsia @ Jan 5 2010, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the sounds of this.

Like Pipi mentioned you would need to lay the groundwork first with the dimensions and stuff; after that just let everyone create their own room and then join them at the end. Would be interesting to see a variety of different design styles throughout one level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    its too much at this point, no way should we be doing anything like that. At this point the best bet is to give the map to one person, have them do stuff until they are done or whatever, and then give the update to the next person.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    1. make the entire map layout in spark so that rooms and corridors are the maximum size they can be before they overlap each other.
    2. put in all the door ways/vent systems where you want them and to the size you want them.
    3. name each room/corridor and have a layout showing the names so people have an idea of where the room/corridor fits into the map
    4. break the map down and save each corridor and room in a seperate file.
    5. post all files up here and let people work their magic.
    6. put it together like lego
    <!--quoteo(post=1745844:date=Jan 5 2010, 11:10 PM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 5 2010, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. make the entire map layout in spark so that rooms and corridors are the maximum size they can be before they overlap each other.
    2. put in all the door ways/vent systems where you want them and to the size you want them.
    3. name each room/corridor and have a layout showing the names so people have an idea of where the room/corridor fits into the map
    6. put it together like lego<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    4 is not going to happen, unfortunately.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745847:date=Jan 5 2010, 11:40 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Jan 5 2010, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4 is not going to happen, unfortunately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why not? You can run multiple instances of the editor and copy/paste from one to another.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745844:date=Jan 6 2010, 02:10 PM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 6 2010, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. make the entire map layout in spark so that rooms and corridors are the maximum size they can be before they overlap each other.
    6. put it together like lego<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sounds good to me - count me in for a hallway or room if anyone wants to take this baby off the ground :)
    edited January 2010
    Hehe, yep I'll probably be there too for a room or a corridor .. or both since you need a little consistency when making a map, sometimes the corridors around a room will have to fit in both geometry and style the room its connecting to.
  • WaffleSpoonWaffleSpoon Join Date: 2002-01-30 Member: 133Members
    Fun idea, however I know what would drive me crazy ^^

I am one of those LDs who have to have everything well organized and thematically correct. But it does sound like a fun challenge, and using layers it shouldn't be too hard to separate each room yet still keeping everything in the same file and simply add a timeline of allowed work before the file has to be shipped on to the next person.

Aka, player 1 has from monday the X to sunday the Y and is alloted to work on layer X-Y. He/She hides all other layers and designs everything within that "room". When sunday arrives, the file is saved as is and sent on to the next person.

The obvious problems that occur though are things like map load from excessive detailing, thematically being "funky", weird lighting, the poor soul who has to betatest and fix potential "leaks" etc.

It's a little bit like that game you (atleast I .p) used to play in school, where someone drew a shape on a napkin, folded it at the bottom of the picture and then let the next person draw something using the little piece he/she saw of the previous picture, folds and hands it on to the next one. For hilarity, it'd be well worth it ^^

Thinking about the negative aspects aren't as fun as thinking about the positive ones <;
    I think Loey had the best idea.

Someone make a specific layout in 16 or more grid size and places vents and doors entrances and exits, make a very bulk shape of the map and then seperates the rooms and corridors and different files so people can work simultaneously on their own with separated files and know that they cannot exceed a certain point and must fit the doors and vents that appears in their section.