If you or your wife or mom and dad were having a baby, and the doctor tells you that the baby will b

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
edited December 2009 in Discussions
<div class="IPBDescription">to get an abortion and start over, or will you be ok with that?</div>Doesn't it take a brave woman to go with her faith and have the baby despite knowing it will be mentally handicaped? What would you do in such a situation?

And to those of you that don't like or despise Sarah Palin, I think the choice she made of having the baby shows just what kind of loving person she is.

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    HOLY CRAP, Obamanism is back from vacation..

..and he brought even larger thread titles.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Well, at least he doesn't come up with totally idiotic topics. He just comes up with a lot of them.

Me? If my mom and dad were having a baby, its their choice. If me and my hypothetical wife were having a baby, it would depend on whether the abortion would have any negative lasting effects. I don't really know much about any physical side effects. But if there isn't, then I'd say go for the abortion. Of course, it would also depend on what the wife wants.

Being atheist helps a lot.

To Obamanism, why do you create so many threads? Especially in a gaming forum? Or do you do this in every kind of forum? You intrigue me.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1745118:date=Dec 30 2009, 04:54 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Dec 30 2009, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't it take a brave woman to go with her faith and have the baby despite knowing it will be mentally handicaped?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think having it is an easier choice than not having it, or vice versa. For me and a theoretical wife, I'd advocate abortion but relent if she disagreed strongly.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I'm mentally handicaped and I'm glad my parents decided to keep me ! EN^W$57wM%$7w57 :DD
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745118:date=Dec 30 2009, 04:54 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Dec 30 2009, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And to those of you that don't like or despise Sarah Palin, I think the choice she made of having the baby shows just what kind of loving person she is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What, her mother was named Sarah as well?
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Just hit the reset button and give it another go. But I don't really want children.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    It depends, as is often the case in such discussions, on whether you think human life is somehow inherently special. If you don't hold such a belief, then you could choose to terminate the fetus in order to spare it from a difficult life, and this is also a perfectly loving choice.
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    What if the doctor said "There's a 60% chance your child will be homosexual"? [apparently, the G-word is not allowed on this forum]
    That'd really put those religious fundamentalists in a double bind.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You should answer your own question first.

I also don't see what faith has to do with it, unless you are suggesting that some people make the decision for superstitious reasons and not based on the facts at hand.
  • GrayDuckGrayDuck Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16134Members, Constellation
    I'll start by saying that I am not a spiritual person. That said, I do believe that everything happens for a reason. I am lucky to have two healthy kids. Had I been informed that one of them would be handicapped - I wouldn't be thrilled, and I would realize that my life would drastically change, but the thought of abortion wouldn't cross my mind.

And to answer the other 'homosexual' question - who cares! I'd love my son or daughter regardless of their sexual preferences. It breaks my heart to know that that's not a universal feeling among parents.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745118:date=Dec 30 2009, 03:54 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Dec 30 2009, 03:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't it take a brave woman to go with her faith and have the baby despite knowing it will be mentally handicaped?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What does the "bravery" of the woman have to do with anything? It's not her life.

Unless of course you mean she's all brave and heroic for taking on the horrible, horrible burden of a mentally handicapped child. Is that what you mean? Because that seems pretty horrible in itself.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2010
    Third option! Eugenics!

Seriously this is why we have technology, to make it so people don't have to suffer needlessly, to make perfect people free of disease and being ugly or thick, unless they particularly want to be.

Edit: And they can also fly.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745735:date=Jan 4 2010, 05:25 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jan 4 2010, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745735"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does the "bravery" of the woman have to do with anything? It's not her life.

Unless of course you mean she's all brave and heroic for taking on the horrible, horrible burden of a mentally handicapped child. Is that what you mean? Because that seems pretty horrible in itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, it is kinda is.
    Raising a severely mentally handicapped child is a HUGE strain on parents.

I'm personally not answering the question as I don't really feel like fueling the troll/market research bot.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745889:date=Jan 6 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Jan 6 2010, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, it is kinda is.
    Raising a severely mentally handicapped child is a HUGE strain on parents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know it is, what I'm saying is that the decision shouldn't be made on the basis of the parents wanting to be seen as brave, or scared of being seen as cowards.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    If my hypothetical wife was to spawn a mentally handicapped child I would have no choice but to make myself a widower.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    No I wouldn't be okay with that.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Are you trying to tell us that you are the son?