Team starts and tech points

PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
<div class="IPBDescription">question to UWE</div>Hey

I was wondering if the fixed marine or alien start will act as tech point in the case that one of the team loses their original command station or hive but still have others in the map. The opposing team would take control of the enemy starting point and build a command station or hive.

It's just that if it is possible, we would have to make the necessary space in our maps to accomodate both hive and command station in the team starting position as well as other tech points.

Thanks.

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The map will act how it is designed. If you do not provide a hive build area in a room, the hive cannot be built there. However, that is an interesting idea, will probably happen in some custom maps.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745032:date=Dec 28 2009, 09:47 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 28 2009, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. If you do not provide a hive build area in a room, the hive cannot be built there..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but, there are different entities for Hives, Command Station and Tech points, that are to be other hives or command stations, right?

So, if you put the command station entity in marine start.. I'm guessing that now it cannot be anything but a command station.

Or, they could put a property on tech points entity that says "marine start" or "alien start" and there would be only tech points in the map.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    With hives tho, does this apply? Didn't Charlie/Flayra say something about not retaining the same hive location system as in NS1? Or maybe he was referring to just no strictly specified locations for hives. (IE only 3 locations) Either way, I suppose this is a good question. But I think it may be a bit early to do more than make test maps atm.
    From what I've read, both marine start and alien start are now fixed locations.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745103:date=Dec 29 2009, 03:32 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Dec 29 2009, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From what I've read, both marine start and alien start are now fixed locations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->My understanding is that each teams start will be fixed and that there will be several tech nodes (I think around 4 or 6) where both teams can fight over and expand to.

The question as it stand is whether or not the starting locations for each team can be taken over by the other team. My guess is that you can decide for yourself as marine technodes and alien technodes are likely going to be separate entities that you should setup in each room.

The end question here is what is going to be the standard mapping guideline for this. I would assume/hope that the standard is for M.S. and A.S. locations to be conquerable, thus making games more dynamic by allowing more possibilities. However, I would suggest that each team's "Start" should have a layout that favors the team that start's there owning said location.
    <!--quoteo(post=1745211:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:43 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Dec 30 2009, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My understanding is that each teams start will be fixed and that there will be several tech nodes (I think around 4 or 6) where both teams can fight over and expand to.

The question as it stand is whether or not the starting locations for each team can be taken over by the other team. My guess is that you can decide for yourself as marine technodes and alien technodes are likely going to be separate entities that you should setup in each room.

The end question here is what is going to be the standard mapping guideline for this. I would assume/hope that the standard is for M.S. and A.S. locations to be conquerable, thus making games more dynamic by allowing more possibilities. However, I would suggest that each team's "Start" should have a layout that favors the team that start's there owning said location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that is exactly what I am asking myself.

Although, they did mention that the techpoint entity (tech point hole or something in the editor that is some sort of big green trapeze) is supposed to fit both a hive or a command station. I assume that this entity will define the position of a hive or a command station in a tech point room.

And the you have the command station entity which is a gray box for now, and the hive entity as well which is a box I suppose, I do not remember.

So as for now, I must understand that the techpoints are disputable but the team starts aren't.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I had thought that each Tech point entity would look for the nearest Hive and Command Console entities, and then be associated with those, so the mappers would determine the position of either structure when built.

So say you have a big cylinder with all 3 entities in it - the map will tell both teams that "here is a tech point" at the location of the tech point entity, and then when an alien tries to build a hive, that hive is spawned at the nearest hive entity. Ideally in the same room...
    Same for marines and their CC, natch.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    First off, the current plan is to have fixed starting positions, yes. There is still some debate over whether the spawn points will be available for the other team to build on. You will be able to destroy them, but they are still deciding if you can build on it once it is destroyed. The team is leaning one way, but testing will see what works best.

The rest of the tech points are totally open for both teams to build on. The tech points will be clearly labelled and only support either the marine or aliens at any one time. There is nothing that differentiates them as far as who can build on them.