Nexus One (the Google phone)

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
edited December 2009 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">too good to be true?</div><a href="http://www.androidguys.com/2009/12/14/reuters-nexus-one-available-directly-through-google-website-january-5/" target="_blank">http://www.androidguys.com/2009/12/14/reut...site-january-5/</a>

So if I am to believe what I've been hearing, Google is coming out with a new phone in less than 2 weeks, as good as or better than any other smart phone on the market, for $99. If you buy just a data plan from your favorite carrier, you get unlimited free voice and texting from Google.

So, $99 for an awesome smart phone, and like $40 a month for infinite data, voice, texting. Yeah, sounds way too good to be true, but it wouldn't be the first time Google has completely changed the way the world works. I will be sad if this is for real and I just bought a new phone and locked myself into 2 more years with Verizon =o

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I'm not too sure about those plans, but it doesn't really matter since whatever plans are available in the US and UK will likely be different to whatever's available in AUS. I'm only interested in the hardware, which is fairly beefyawesome. I'll probably buy one outright, with or without a plan.

--Scythe--
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Like half of Google's cool stuff, it will take 5 years to reach Canada, sigh :(
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744978:date=Dec 27 2009, 09:17 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Dec 27 2009, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like half of Google's cool stuff, it will take 5 years to reach Canada, sigh :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if it's an unlocked phone, does that mean you could just import it to use up there with a plan of your choosing? or not so much?
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->• Yeah, it's $530 unsubsidized. Google's not going to be selling the phone at cost, like so many people considered. They're not going to save us from the "making money off of hardware" culture we've got right now, so this is basically just another Android handset, albeit a really good one
    • If you want it subsidized, you'll have to sign up for a 2 year mandatory contract and pay $180 for the phone
    • There's only one rate plan: $39.99 Even More + Text + Web for $79.99 total
    • Existing customers cannot keep their plan if they want a subsidized phone; they have to change to the one plan, and this only applies to accounts with one single line
    • If that doesn't fly with you, you have to buy the $530 unlocked version—this actually might save you money over two years if you already have a cheap plan
    • Family plans, Flexpay, SmartAccess and KidConnect subscribers must buy the phone unlocked and unsubsidized for $530
    • You can only buy five Nexus One phones per Google account
    • There is language in the agreement of shipping outside the US
    • Google will sell it at google.com/phone, which explains what they were doing with that page a few weeks ago
    • Google will still call it the Nexus One apparently, and not the Google Phone
    • If you cancel your plan before 120 days, you have to pay the subsidy difference between what you paid and the unsubsidized price, so $350 in this case. Or you can return the phone to Google. You also authorize them to charge this directly to your credit card.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://gizmodo.com/5436673/rumor-nexus-one-will-be-530-unlocked-180-with-t+mobile" target="_blank">Source</a>.

I'm not sure what they mean by that "shipping outside the US" bit.

--Scythe--
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Pretty exciting. Just one more step towards world domination I suppose. Not that I'm complaining.
    Ill be waiting for the Nexus 2 though, since at this rate it should be as powerful as the PS3 by that time.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    Damnit. Now I want one. And I'm only a year into my iPhone 3G.
    <!--quoteo(post=1745855:date=Jan 6 2010, 03:48 PM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Jan 6 2010, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Damnit. Now I want one. And I'm only a year into my iPhone 3G.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BUY. CONSUME. DISPOSE OF OLD, PURCHASE NEW.

--Scythe--

P.S. Poops, seems google aren't shipping to Aus right away. I might have to wait a while. I'd like NextG talkies, but the american N1 can't do that.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Good timing for me, I'm eligible for a free upgrade with Verizon today but will have to take a closer look at this.

Already priced an iPhone though and can't afford it...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745862:date=Jan 6 2010, 07:45 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 6 2010, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BUY. CONSUME. DISPOSE OF OLD, PURCHASE NEW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I was Tyler, I would punch you now.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm currently shopping for a new phone, and I genuinely can't decide between this, the 3GS or another similar handset. I'm not feeling the love for Android right now though, it has those same polish issues to me that most of the Linux GUIs have, for example. It just feels 'strange'.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Just bought the LG enV Touch, and it's plenty of phone for me.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Blah! There's basically two carriers around here that are worth anything: AT&T and US Cellular. I'm with US Cellular and would rather not switch, because they've got really great coverage, but they're CDMA. Seems this Nexus One loves GSM and nothing else. :(
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    After reading up on network compatibility in the US. It's pretty sad. I possibly considering switching providers when verizon support came out. But apparently that'll be a special version of the phone that only works for verizon. Lame.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There's a lot going for the android phone, but honestly, I'd wait for the second iteration of the design, especially if you already have a smart phone.

I'm looking at what problems an Android would solve for me that my current iphone 3g can't do, and there's nothing that would justify spending money on. There are somet hings that the iphone does bettter - namely ipod functionality.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited January 2010
    but who needs to own music when you can stream it from Grooveshark to your Android phone for free? =D that's what I do anyway. If I had a collection of thousands of iTunes songs I'd probably go with an iPhone still.

The most exciting sounding thing about the Nexus One for me is the voice-to-text feature... so I could just talk into my phone to post on forums!

I wonder if/when my Droid will be upgraded to Android 2.1... then I wouldn't even need a new phone for that feature.