Bots and AI

Oyster ManOyster Man Join Date: 2009-12-21 Member: 69745Members
Dear Unknown Worlds,

I was curios if you were going to impliment bots and or AI players in Natural Selection 2. I do not know what other people think of this, but I personally like the idea.
One of the things that I like very much about Counter Strike: Source is that you can play it alone or online. In either case you can use bots. While bots aren't the smartest players, they can still be fun.
Thank you for your time.

-Oyster Man.

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well the Idea is certainly not bad in a few ways, but as everyone now would say: The Dev's have likely no time for this "non core feature".

I think the Bot-Tech comes from the Modding Community, like Ns1.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Indeed, bots with bot waypoints will probably come from a community effort. You've already have alien bot populated training servers for NS1 :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    It would be nice, however, if NS2 provided a built-in framework for bots. That way, it would be easier to determine if a server has bots, what bot commands are available, etc.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    There will already be some AI framework in place; for example, pathfinding for glowies and builder bots. Modders certainly wouldn't need to start from scratch to make their own bots to play against.
  • Oyster ManOyster Man Join Date: 2009-12-21 Member: 69745Members
    edited December 2009
    Well, maybe they could put it in an addon or a patch after the release maybe, or as you said, the modding community can help.
    I just always liked the CS:S bots.
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    edited December 2009
    Bot's should be implemented deffinatly!
    Ok so yes it will be difficualt but it should be implimented but! along with bot's there should be very, very smart AI, not fake to smart but good enough to look and act a whole lot better than BF2 AI since, they can't climb ladders and are kinda dumb but when they go smart they go to smart and preform shots very very far away with very good precision.
    So yes to bots, yes to better AI, yes to AI not being like BF2(if they need navmesh then auto navmesh should be made but AI should be smart enough not to need one, hopefully). Thanks for your time, God bless.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    Bots? For a game which I assume will be multiplayer-only? Why on earth would you want that?

They don't just represent a one-time development effort, they're something that needs more development QA every time you change a map or game mechanics.

Support for navigation meshes and certain engine-based bot support, sure, but anything more than that prior to, say, version "1.04" is horrid feature creep.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1745172:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:28 AM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Dec 30 2009, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bots? For a game which I assume will be multiplayer-only? Why on earth would you want that?

They don't just represent a one-time development effort, they're something that needs more development QA every time you change a map or game mechanics.

Support for navigation meshes and certain engine-based bot support, sure, but anything more than that prior to, say, version "1.04" is horrid feature creep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There will already be "bot code" in the game anyways. Welderbot and the M.A.S.C., so all would it take is a clever "modder" to transform the code into Marinebot A.I. and pathing for the Kharaa.

I have no doubt you'll see some form of bots in this game, it would just be better if the DEVs actually put some rudimentary code in place as a starting point, then having the community do it from scratch.

Marine A.I. (not commander) is easier than Alien A.I. due to how the Marines move and how all 5 alien classes play differently. Sure Jetpack Marines have some special code to make them work, but that is a much smaller task than Lerk and Skulk movement. And depending if the Fade gets his movement abilities back, that is another custom thing you have to take into account.

Oh ya, Glowies will have A.I. as well, who are controlled by the Alien Hivemind(Commander) if I am not mistaken.

Trust me, bots will be in this game, it is just the matter if Charlie wants to put the "official stamp" on them.

Also I doubt someone will be able to make a good Commander A.I., for the simple fact that RTS GAMES HAVE NO GOOD A.I. IN THE FIRST PLACE; unless Starcraft 2 has some GODLY A.I. that Jesus himself made... I doubt it.

So yeah, that pretty much sums up the A.I. botcode issue.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    Personally my largest problem with NS is the time it takes to check each server that claims to have players to see if it really has players or is just running bots. If there could be something in-built or planned to indicate proper player numbers as well as or instead of the total including bots that'd be a good thing in my view.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745334:date=Jan 1 2010, 03:15 AM:name=SwampRat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SwampRat @ Jan 1 2010, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally my largest problem with NS is the time it takes to check each server that claims to have players to see if it really has players or is just running bots. If there could be something in-built or planned to indicate proper player numbers as well as or instead of the total including bots that'd be a good thing in my view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    FYI: right-clicking on the broswer sort-headers, then filtering by "Bots" helps a lot.
  • ArianolArianol Join Date: 2010-01-02 Member: 69856Members
    The bots I've used in NS1 are okay for filler, but not for whole teams. The marines just simply did not listen to their commander and were horrible at following orders (worse so than most noob players). And while the aliens dominated early on, by end-game they were unorganized and almost useless for offensive strikes.

Yea, I think we can wait for the modding community to do this.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745450:date=Jan 2 2010, 08:17 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 2 2010, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FYI: right-clicking on the broswer sort-headers, then filtering by "Bots" helps a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahhh, excellent, thank you. That's what you get for not clicking on things I guess. Ta
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745690:date=Jan 4 2010, 12:49 PM:name=Arianol)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arianol @ Jan 4 2010, 12:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The bots I've used in NS1 are okay for filler, but not for whole teams. The marines just simply did not listen to their commander and were horrible at following orders (worse so than most noob players). And while the aliens dominated early on, by end-game they were unorganized and almost useless for offensive strikes.

Yea, I think we can wait for the modding community to do this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Using bots as filler is just idiotic.