How clever can we make textures?

PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Discussing the possibilities.</div>So I was wondering whilst making the control in my map...
Its full of empty black monitors.
I was wondering just how clever could we be with textures.

Obveously eventually I hope to have transparency so we can have windows and other such items.
But what about animated textures?
This is certainly possible in other games and although mind boggling I have attempted a few times.

But what about something more?
Would it be possible to have a "Camera" within the map which then relayed its image to a texture?
Like a security screen?
What about looping short video clips?

Im not asking this to be done or suggesting it.
Im just wondering if within the engine it would be possible?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744438:date=Dec 20 2009, 05:51 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Dec 20 2009, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I was wondering whilst making the control in my map...
    Its full of empty black monitors.
    I was wondering just how clever could we be with textures.

Obveously eventually I hope to have transparency so we can have windows and other such items.
    But what about animated textures?
    This is certainly possible in other games and although mind boggling I have attempted a few times.

But what about something more?
    Would it be possible to have a "Camera" within the map which then relayed its image to a texture?
    Like a security screen?
    What about looping short video clips?

Im not asking this to be done or suggesting it.
    Im just wondering if within the engine it would be possible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Animated textures are probable because you need them for a lot of things, and render targets are also possible I suppose, depends if they're coded in.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited December 2009
    We'll positively be able to have flash objects drawn on textures (I.e. computer screens), transparency of course, no idea about the rest.

Hopefully the scripting system will interface with textures somehow.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    if the animated ones are flash, it should be able to interface with them with scripts, and then pretty much anything you want is possible, although you might need a bitmap data source for that camera thingy, but hell, would be funny to see yourself on a webcam in the ready room, hud section or even on the models of players as a sort of hologram overlay :D (I dunno how much of flash is implemented in the texture rendering, but by default flash can do that very easily ;))
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I wouldn't expect flash as a texture. Flash has nightmarish things it would bring into the game engine, it's like running hundreds of mini games within a full game at the same time, very very hard on performance.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744570:date=Dec 22 2009, 05:11 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 22 2009, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't expect flash as a texture.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But flash textures have already been confirmed.
    They are just not implemented yet (or maybe the files are just missing), that's why all monitors are black.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What about (partially) reflective textures?
    Will it be possible to do a reflection map?
    <!--quoteo(post=1744570:date=Dec 22 2009, 07:11 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 22 2009, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't expect flash as a texture. Flash has nightmarish things it would bring into the game engine, it's like running hundreds of mini games within a full game at the same time, very very hard on performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's been officially confirmed (I'd link to the devblog, but it's nightmare to search). Considering Flash 10 is GPU-accelerated, it shouldn't be much of an issue.. Say, I think Dawn of War 2 does that already.

<!--quoteo(post=1744614:date=Dec 22 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 22 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about (partially) reflective textures?
    Will it be possible to do a reflection map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd really like to know that, too. Maybe we'll have cubemaps or something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744614:date=Dec 22 2009, 09:17 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 22 2009, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about (partially) reflective textures?
    Will it be possible to do a reflection map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    do you mean light reflective or mirror reflective, as in you can see geometry and models reflected in it? the first one yes (specular map in the anatomy of a scene post), second one would probably be hard to do.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744619:date=Dec 22 2009, 03:47 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Dec 22 2009, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do you mean light reflective or mirror reflective, as in you can see geometry and models reflected in it? the first one yes (specular map in the anatomy of a scene post), second one would probably be hard to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mirror reflective = BAD.
    How many of you put water true reflection on games?
    Well thats no where near perfect reflection.

If you wanted mirror reflection it would make game spec requirements go through the roof!
    <!--quoteo(post=1744640:date=Dec 22 2009, 02:16 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Dec 22 2009, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mirror reflective = BAD.
    How many of you put water true reflection on games?
    Well thats no where near perfect reflection.

If you wanted mirror reflection it would make game spec requirements go through the roof!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think hl1 could actually do it, I remember watching myself in some toilet i dropped into from some vents ;) but then again it didnt have that much to render anyway ;)
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1744649:date=Dec 22 2009, 04:41 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Dec 22 2009, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think hl1 could actually do it, I remember watching myself in some toilet i dropped into from some vents ;) but then again it didnt have that much to render anyway ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HEHE! I think it was a hack, not a proper reflective texture. What they do is create a window with a mirrored room behind it, and put a new model of yourself walking around mirroring your actions: gives the same effect of a mirror with less constraint on the engine than an actual mirror texture. Thats why there would only be things like this in small areas.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1744649:date=Dec 22 2009, 10:41 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Dec 22 2009, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think hl1 could actually do it, I remember watching myself in some toilet i dropped into from some vents ;) but then again it didnt have that much to render anyway ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Duke Nukem 3D has it (well it is just sprites so not that hard to do :P)

Realtime lighting, highpoly models and effects times 2 due to reflection hurts cute puppies!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    As long as users can disable performance sapping features on slow computers, I don't see any reason not to include them. I don't mind hurting a few cute puppies (aka baby skulks) to get high quality graphics.
    Really...
    Noes...
    World reflective surfaces = BAD...

Render a room with a table and chair in maya, and a mirror...

1 hour...
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1744600:date=Dec 22 2009, 02:31 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Dec 22 2009, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But flash textures have already been confirmed.
    They are just not implemented yet (or maybe the files are just missing), that's why all monitors are black.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flash textures are implemented, they just don't show up in the editor yet. Those monitors have animated screens in the game though. They'll also show up in the Viewer application we included with the last patch.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1744741:date=Dec 23 2009, 07:20 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 23 2009, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flash textures are implemented, they just don't show up in the editor yet. Those monitors have animated screens in the game though. They'll also show up in the Viewer application we included with the last patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is this Flash 10?
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744741:date=Dec 23 2009, 11:20 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 23 2009, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flash textures are implemented, they just don't show up in the editor yet. Those monitors have animated screens in the game though. They'll also show up in the Viewer application we included with the last patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Error: (FlashTexture) failed to load ui/generic_terminalscreen_04.swf"

The Swf files were not included with the update or whenever the patch came out, so I can't see them. Is this intended or overlooked?
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744731:date=Dec 23 2009, 10:30 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Dec 23 2009, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really...
    Noes...
    World reflective surfaces = BAD...

Render a room with a table and chair in maya, and a mirror...

1 hour...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Either one is crap; your computer or maya..

lol !
    Alright, I'm pleasantly surprised and astonished a little then.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744757:date=Dec 23 2009, 08:32 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Dec 23 2009, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Either one is crap; your computer or maya..

lol !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really it just depends how many reflections you want to follow in ray tracking.
    1 = quick but everything that reflects or is transparent is white.
    100 looks amazing but your computer dies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744655:date=Dec 22 2009, 05:21 PM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Dec 22 2009, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HEHE! I think it was a hack, not a proper reflective texture. What they do is create a window with a mirrored room behind it, and put a new model of yourself walking around mirroring your actions: gives the same effect of a mirror with less constraint on the engine than an actual mirror texture. Thats why there would only be things like this in small areas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's all a mirrored texture does as well. It just allows for the possibility of other geometry in the same space as the mirrored geometry. You only see the mirror geometry when looking through the mirror portal (it's surface).

It can be expensive because of the geometry duplication, especially if mirrors are dynamic (the mirrored surface can shift position), and it's a little dangerous, because if you have multiple reflectivity (a scene where one mirror can be seen from another mirror) you start to look at exponential geometry duplication, and there's really no way of making a GPU like that.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    When you have this kind of behavior, you generally have a max refraction value in the Engine, to be sure not entering an infinite one.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745233:date=Dec 31 2009, 02:08 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 31 2009, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's all a mirrored texture does as well. It just allows for the possibility of other geometry in the same space as the mirrored geometry. You only see the mirror geometry when looking through the mirror portal (it's surface).

It can be expensive because of the geometry duplication, especially if mirrors are dynamic (the mirrored surface can shift position), and it's a little dangerous, because if you have multiple reflectivity (a scene where one mirror can be seen from another mirror) you start to look at exponential geometry duplication, and there's really no way of making a GPU like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know about 3D game engines.. but a "mirror" in a 3D rendering program isn't simply duplicating geometry.. hehe.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745245:date=Dec 31 2009, 09:49 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Dec 31 2009, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about 3D game engines.. but a "mirror" in a 3D rendering program isn't simply duplicating geometry.. hehe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats where ray tracing comes in :)

it can do infinite mirrors without increase load on the pc too much
    edited December 2009
    exept once you add reflexion, transparency, lot of differents lights...
    Raytracing Isnt really performant. But the final image is the best.
    And its not infinite, nothing is. It just a specified number, which increase the performances exponentially like antialiasing does.
  • crodecrode Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7876Members
    Some of you make no sense at all. Where are you people getting your info?
    It takes nearly no time for maya to render a reflection. Water does reflection yes.

The question was
    "What about (partially) reflective textures? Will it be possible to do a reflection map? "

Well I can see it being put into the game easily enough. It would need a 8bit of texture (256 greyscale) and would take form as a alpha channel much like transparency. Probably what will happen is there can only be a reflection or a transparency but not both. Or located in a separate texture maybe. There is also a "lit" texture somewhere there too I assume, I have not looked into it yet.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited January 2010
    First i like to use my camera as a texture machine by using real materials and may be enhanced by photshop etc.

1. I prefer textures which are really 3D and which have much more options/functions to make different textures
    Point sizes, lines, curve functions, colour spectrusm bla bla. Please look at LightWave texture models for details.
    There are some good examples.

2. Also a "quad texture" option would be nice which makes texture to symetric 4 combined textures.

<!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->
    e.g.

AB
    CD

is a texture which has no symetry and quad texture may be automaticaly converted by editor to :

AB | BA
    CD | DC
    ----------
    CD | DC
    AB | BA
    <!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

This is usefull for non symetric textures.

3. Combined texture models with functions would be nice. In example you have air and cloud models. Those clouds moves on
    main air texure. Random Velocity and acceleration, shot/touch based , time depended texures on texure.
    i.e. stars on darkness, bugs on floor, bubles in water, moving green gases in red gas

4. Physically affected textures: Burned corner, heated point (which is like done by a weapon used in HL1 but much more thermodynamic), touched (e.g water nearby player goes white while players moves in), crapped, oxidation etc.

5. On the other hand mirror is simple. Think mirror as a 2nd camera which looks from the otherside to the point normal to the player. Then put image on it which can be on it. Quake4 had mirror and HL2 had Magnifier.
    <!--quoteo(post=1745404:date=Jan 2 2010, 04:58 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jan 2 2010, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3. Combined texture models with functions would be nice. In example you have air and cloud models. Those clouds moves on
    main air texure. Random Velocity and acceleration, shot/touch based , time depended texures on texure.
    i.e. stars on darkness, bugs on floor, bubles in water, moving green gases in red gas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Absolutely, that'd be awesome. Quake 3 had a very extensive shader functionality, that was pretty rad... You couldn't do the details like making gamestate affect them directly, but that'd also open up a ton of possibilities.

I suppose what it comes down to is: is such functionality planned to be part of the game itself?

<!--quoteo(post=1745404:date=Jan 2 2010, 04:58 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jan 2 2010, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. Physically affected textures: Burned corner, heated point (which is like done by a weapon used in HL1 but much more thermodynamic), touched (e.g water nearby player goes white while players moves in), crapped, oxidation etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That'd be decals. I don't think it's possible for any modern engine to omit them.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745298:date=Dec 31 2009, 07:55 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Dec 31 2009, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And its not infinite, nothing is. It just a specified number, which increase the performances exponentially like antialiasing does.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In real world theory, it is impossible
    In a crappy rendering simulation, it could be if the computer didn't run out of memory first
    if the camera is perpendicular to two parallel mirrors, and the camera has no body to stop it...
    i'm not speaking of the real world, i'm speaking about the simulation.
    the memory has an end, and is linked to the number of reflexion you will try to calculate.

i'm telling this , because i've done a "raytracer" in the past, and that's how we had to proceed.