FPS Issue - Lighting?

JesusCJesusC Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14996Members
Hi, I could not find any similar previous threads to this specific issue, so here it goes.

I installed NS again just recently after a long hiatus, and I find that my FPS takes a giant hit during certain situations: most of them revolving around lighting. When looking directly at a phase gate, my frames drop from a steady 60.0 (intentionally capped) to a flat 15.0. Additional phase gates cause additional loss of frames! The lighting in certain rooms, and if I get too far away from a wall that I am shining a flash light on also causes a drop in frames. The more objects being lit up by said light source also seems to cause steep drop in frames (eg: a pack of marines around a glowing phase gate). This is pretty depressing as I am now running the game on a (relatively) modern machine, and back in the day my GF 4 used to max the game out without a sweat.

Any input on what might be causing the issue and if there some console commands to remedy it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Current set up:
Opteron 165, 2.1ghz
GeForce 7800 GT
2GB memory
Windows XP x64

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2009
    It is a sad fact that goldSRC (hl1 engine) does not take advantage of the new technologies. It is just the engine that is using its maximum performance, so a new more powerful computer will not have much, if any impact on the FPS.

The things that are more important are the settings you use to run the game. I think (if my memory serves me right), D3D is less stable when it comes to FPS issues then openGL, for instance... But I've also heard people say that this is the opposite of what works for them... (Software mode is not supported)

Might also want to check a few network settings, as they also have an impact on fps. My settings on a 1Mbit/0.2Mbit up cable connection are:
    rate 25000
    cl_updaterate 20
    cl_cmdrate 30

You can check these in the console.

I'm not certain about this one, but I've had a case that when using antiscoptric filtering (in your videocard control panel), decreasing the performance drasticly when set to 8x or higher. I think it is best to leave everything in the "use application settings" for NS.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Do you have a big Flatscreen ?
    Thats the reason why I have FPS Issues ^^
  • JesusCJesusC Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14996Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744000:date=Dec 16 2009, 10:19 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 16 2009, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a sad fact that goldSRC (hl1 engine) does not take advantage of the new technologies. It is just the engine that is using its maximum performance, so a new more powerful computer will not have much, if any impact on the FPS.

The things that are more important are the settings you use to run the game. I think (if my memory serves me right), D3D is less stable when it comes to FPS issues then openGL, for instance... But I've also heard people say that this is the opposite of what works for them... (Software mode is not supported)

Might also want to check a few network settings, as they also have an impact on fps. My settings on a 1Mbit/0.2Mbit up cable connection are:
    rate 25000
    cl_updaterate 20
    cl_cmdrate 30

You can check these in the console.

I'm not certain about this one, but I've had a case that when using antiscoptric filtering (in your videocard control panel), decreasing the performance drasticly when set to 8x or higher. I think it is best to leave everything in the "use application settings" for NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the input. I ended up switching from OpenGL (where my frames were jumping anywhere from 5~100+) to D3D where it stays at a constant 40. Not the ideal solution, but it works consistently.

<!--quoteo(post=1744109:date=Dec 17 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Dec 17 2009, 09:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you have a big Flatscreen ?
    Thats the reason why I have FPS Issues ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, a regular (19") flatscreen.