Battlefield Heroes Modifies Item Prices

lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
edited December 2009 in Discussions
Article: <a href="http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12/ea-restructures-battlefied-heroes-pricing-fans-enraged.ars" target="_blank">http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12...ans-enraged.ars</a>

To summarize (though I urge you to read the article): The for-cash currency has been made more valuable (through slashed prices) while the earned-through-play currency has been devalued (through increased prices). You can still play the game for free, but you most likely won't be able to buy any items other than the ones you are given by default, giving players willing to pay for them a very clear edge.

Now the obvious lines of argument here are:<ul><li>obvious cash grab</li><li>it's their game and you could and still can play it for free</li><li>they heavily implied they wouldn't do this and they broke their word</li><li>they said they wouldn't turn the game pay-to-play and they kept to that.</li></ul>However, I'd like to set those aside for the moment (I'm sure we'll get to them eventually anyway) to ask different questions: Why'd they do this? Because they can? Too high freeloader:payer ratio? Is the game not generating enough revenue? Is this move a consequence of the game's reception(good? bad?), or did they plan to get people to play first and then up the fee?
Speculation and argumentation please!

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    there is a good post on their forum some where that basically says:
    Well, we screwed up, aren't making any/enough money, and don't want to get fired, so cash weapons it is, sorry.

Right, here it is:
    <a href="http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=88636&pid=939699#pid939699" target="_blank">http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/sho...39699#pid939699</a>

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Reading through the thread is wonderfully funny.

hehehehehe

Seriously, it is worth reading, or at least searching through for posts by GameofDeath.
    He basically has tirades against Ben Cousins for being a rich junkie. It took me a page or 2 too find out that there is a Ben Cousins who plays Aussie Football :P

Still, funny as hell.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    wow.... that thread is full of lol
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    This is what happens when you give your accounting department more power than your developers. Pretty terrible move on their part, and I'm betting it loses them more money in the long run. The smarter thing to do would have been to keep the current model as is and instead slowly phase in newer, shinier guns and tools and funny hats and vanity pets etc. while calculatedly increasing the cost for the newer items. Then you avoid the sudden shock of what is quite clearly a blatant cash grab by someone who has a 3rd grade concept of the laws of supply and demand.

All the arguments the developers have posted seem to boil down to 'What you thought it would be free forever? We have to feed our families!' To which the obvious response is to vote with your money and go to a game that isn't suddenly going to jack up its prices in order for you to keep playing the same game you're used to. (Laughing while their children starve is optional, and may make you evil.)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It seems that some of the outrage here is actually justified. They very specifically said things like "we won't sell better guns for real money," yet that is precisely what they are doing now. I wish I could see what the player numbers are like now compared to before this change.

(Formerly) paying customers seem to view this as a particular slap in the face. They paid money to customise their avatars, and now they will have to pay further just to stay competitive.

I also wonder what those who pay for the new guns to continue playing will think. The non-paying players will gradually filter out due to the disadvantage they have, lowering overall player numbers. Will the game stay interesting for those who remain, or will it turn into a ghost town?
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    In a gaming world where you have something like Team Fortress 2 which, last I checked, was selling for something like 5 bucks and has remained (arguably) balanced and very fun for a long time, something like this just doesn't fly. TF2 has had regular updates full of real content, new weapons, new fun but not game-changing cosmetic items, and a plethora of maps (mostly community but some in-house) and hasn't charged more for any of this. The price has consistently dropped. Now sure, this is Valve, clearly a very well-liked game studio that isn't in danger of losing their revenue stream any time soon. But they got to be the Valve of today by not being like these guys. They realized a long time ago that you can't put a price tag on good will. Treat your audience with respect, invest in some fun freebies for them from time to time, and they will jump at the chance to stuff money in your pocket on the next product you ship. And that's exactly the opposite of the sort of short-term, 'screw the players, we want cash now' attitude these guys are radiating.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    It was always pretty obvious that eventually new stuff would be added that cost more money, or that prices would go up, or *something* to increase the money coming in would be changed.

The way they've done it is pretty stupid, though. You used to be able to rent a gun using the in-game (free) currency for an entire month for fairly cheap (I can't remember what the price was tbh but I managed to buy two of them after about a week's worth of very casual play). Now it's 150vp for a single day. You earn 10 or so vp per match, if you *win* it. So... yeah. And that's one of the weaker guns. The new super gun I just noticed after logging in for the first time in forever is 450vp for a single day.

Add in to that the fact that bandages (the only way to regain health in the game without a friendly soldier who happens to be standing nearby, and they put out fire) are now 120vp for 10 uses (last time I played you bought them in batches of 50 and they were used up pretty quick) and it's essentially impossible to play the game without spending money. Which probably means an awful lot of people aren't going to play the game any more.

Also I just noticed when logging in that I was forced to "associate a real life gender with this account," which is pretty odd. Maybe they're seeing if it's worth creating female avatars or something.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    I played Battlefield Heroes in beta and thought it was obnoxious and boring and DICE has already annoyed me with their revenue strategies on past titles so I have no intention of paying for any of their games.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The smarter thing to do would have been to keep the current model as is and instead slowly phase in newer, shinier guns and tools and funny hats and vanity pets etc. while calculatedly increasing the cost for the newer items.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You would never make it as an executive at EA, that plan requires doing actual work and investing in the long term success of the product.