So how big should we be making NS2 maps?

FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
I remember them saying NS2 maps will be a lot smaller than the originals, so how big should our potential NS2 maps be on a whole?

In Hammer or Unreal I'd just load up a few existing maps and zoom out on the orthographic views, make a rough note of length and width to get an idea, but no such look here yet (:

Comments

• derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    if you make an imba epic upadupa mega but large map, i will play it :P

its it turns to big maps, because they are much more epic and better to play then small ones... make big maps, if the game dosent feel right with big maps, ###### it...
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I remember the devs (I think) saying something about making big rooms and less hallways. With every room having a feature or point of recognition.

here it is at AusNS <a href="http://www.ausns2.com/ns2-megalist/gameplay" target="_blank">http://www.ausns2.com/ns2-megalist/gameplay</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maps are much denser. 6-10 rooms, each with a landmark to help players know where they are.

* But this does not mean maps will necessarily be smaller<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    + with a rough outline comparison with ns_eclipse.
  • muffinsmuffins Join Date: 2004-05-12 Member: 28638Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    Because of all the talk of ns_ mode not being default, I would assume to make them a good chunk smaller.

I don't know what the gameplay mode is yet exactly, but ns_ maps were huge so it can really only go down from there.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    It doesn't seem like you can make them that big. A few long corridors with props/lights starts to stutter on my quad core pretty quickly.

I'm not sure there are any visportals etc, so it seems like they're relying on some LOD system to do everything. Could be an issue...
  • tdltdl Join Date: 2008-05-22 Member: 64306Members
    I always thought of the big maps as one of the bigger advantages of NS1. For me they definitely added to the lost-in-some-space-station atmosphere of the game, and developing a certain knowledge of the place was one of the things which kept NS1 attractive for a long time.
  • GenovaGenova Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58795Members, NS2 Playtester
    I agree, the thing i liked the most in the first ns maps was their sizes. It really felt like a long arm wrestling.
    If they were smaller, it would end up faster because of the power of the advantages you gain.

Let me explain, in the first NS, when you win a fight, you know it's not over and you'll have to win a lot of fights to beat the opposite team. And each advantages you take increases your chances to win. But it wont be enough.
    If in NS2 they do "a lot smaller" maps, each advantages will be deadly.

for instance, wining a fight to control one rez spot when there are 15 in the map is good but not enough, but if there are only 3... it's a decisive win
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Reading through the blog entry about the Power Grid design can give you some important tips on layout.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a>
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1740837:date=Nov 27 2009, 02:39 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CoolCookieCooks @ Nov 27 2009, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reading through the blog entry about the Power Grid design can give you some important tips on layout.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome, thanks for that link.

Looking at the provided map, it's actually pretty similar to the idea I had for layout except the centre would have more area to it.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1740803:date=Nov 27 2009, 02:46 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stardog @ Nov 27 2009, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't seem like you can make them that big. A few long corridors with props/lights starts to stutter on my quad core pretty quickly.

I'm not sure there are any visportals etc, so it seems like they're relying on some LOD system to do everything. Could be an issue...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> The occlusion culling isn't in the editor yet, so it's normal, it'll be optimized, this is a pre-alpha, the game does have it.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a feeling that maps will end up being just as big as in NS1.

With the addition of Tech Points, there are now TWO types of 'gameplay landmarks'. In NS1, RTs were the landmarks; Hive rooms and MS were always RT locations as well.

It seems like the new format will not have as many RTs, not 10ish but rather 6-8. In addition to these though, there will be about 4-6 tech points. So that makes 10-14 gameplay landmark rooms. Sure they may be closer to each other, but that's still a lot of rooms to separate out... plus rooms are now apparently bigger.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    There are also other good questions here:

How hive rooms should be?
    How long corridors should be?
    How much max. light should be used in a map? (for the mid range cpu & gpu)
    How much max. liquids should be used in a map? (for the mid range cpu & gpu) Or any objects affects Physics engine, btw CPU & GPU load
    How should we design res rooms for better defend and attack?
    How should we design powergrid rooms ?
    How long should be min and max. Hive to Hive, Hive to Base ways. ( Also time )

bla bla ...
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1740944:date=Nov 27 2009, 12:52 PM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yimmasabi @ Nov 27 2009, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are also other good questions here:

How hive rooms should be?
    How long corridors should be?
    How much max. light should be used in a map? (for the mid range cpu & gpu)
    How much max. liquids should be used in a map? (for the mid range cpu & gpu) Or any objects affects Physics engine, btw CPU & GPU load
    How should we design res rooms for better defend and attack?
    How should we design powergrid rooms ?
    How long should be min and max. Hive to Hive, Hive to Base ways. ( Also time )

bla bla ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When we know, you will know. As the editor and game are still being worked on, none of this has been finalized. Don't worry about making full maps just yet, the editor is still in alpha and not ready for it now. That time will come and information will be released so you guys can make maps.
    <!--quoteo(post=1740949:date=Nov 27 2009, 07:00 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Comprox @ Nov 27 2009, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When we know, you will know. As the editor and game are still being worked on, none of this has been finalized. Don't worry about making full maps just yet, the editor is still in alpha and not ready for it now. That time will come and information will be released so you guys can make maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I that case I guess it's modular room time and working on our geometry + lighting skills. It'll actually force me to sketch things out while I wait instead of just going from my mind, but that can't be a bad thing.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    The first we need onos & skulk sizes !
  • dedgeckodedgecko Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69511Members
    Well we've got 3 door sizes, I would assume that the onos would be able to fit through the two bigger sizes at a minimum.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    what I suggest is dont start working on ur maps just yet as the editor is still in alpha, there will be more stuff and fixes added to it and btw i have a quad core when i tried making a hive room with 2 corridors it started lagging.
    if I where u I would make a big chunk of rooms, corridors, hive rooms, marine start seperetly and when time is right u can use them copy/paste ;)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Make me a big map... and don't forget to add some restrooms!! Their was only a handful of NS1 maps with toilets... one being that stargate incarnate.

Hmm stargate!!!, and digsiege!!!, and supersiege_005!!! to epic for words :P

To bad i can't find anything but classic maps running on the current top ns servers...

And for gods sake add some fun rides to your readyroom! :P
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1741120:date=Nov 28 2009, 05:30 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rammaj @ Nov 28 2009, 05:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what I suggest is dont start working on ur maps just yet as the editor is still in alpha, there will be more stuff and fixes added to it and btw i have a quad core when i tried making a hive room with 2 corridors it started lagging.
    if I where u I would make a big chunk of rooms, corridors, hive rooms, marine start seperetly and when time is right u can use them copy/paste ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

having finised map in pre-alpha tool with no game sounds very pointless, but under the time we wait for the game or a playable alpha/beta (if there is one) would give good practis to make awesome maps.
  • BobpobloBobpoblo Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7011Members
    I think we need to know more information about the game’s standard unit sizes etc. before we know how big the maps should be. Honestly, I don’t think you can make a serious map at the moment without knowing the character dimensions. Of course we are testing the pre alpha mapping program for them and that’s all good.

To map correctly, we need to know the following information for EACH player class:
    • The maximum height, in units, an object can be while still allowing the player to walk over it, Crouched & Standing.
    • The minimum distance, in units, that can be between the ground and an object while still allowing the player to pass underneath, Crouched & Standing.
    • The minimum size, in units, that can be between two objects while still allowing the player to pass between them, Width &Height.
    • The maximum slope angle, in degrees from the horizontal, that the player can scale. Anything steeper than this is un-climbable. Gradient: 45° ???
    • Eyelevel Height
    • The maximum height, in units, an object can be while still allowing the player to jump on top of it.
    • The maximum distance, in units, that can be between two objects of the same height, while still allowing the player to jump from one object to the other.

Once we have these unit values, we can really start to look at design seriously. But for now, keep up the pre alpha testing and get in all the quality bug reports you can to help them out!
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Presumably, the only reason the editor is out is so that you can learn how to use it, not so that you can make maps, per se.

The odds of making even a remotely playable map with Spark at this point in time is slim to none :) Even the luckiest map would need massive overhauls once the actual game is available. My suggestion is to build individual rooms in separate files so you can glue stuff together later.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    thats also the way i see it. this is a alpha test of the editor. that way bugs can be found, and they can test the basics of the engine on many computers and fix hardware specific problems (like that lightning bug).

So yes, perfect thing to do right now is to create a nice collection of rooms and hallways, so that later on everything can be glued together
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    yeah that is exactly what i said before, work on making hallways, rooms etc than keep expermenting and changing after a time u will find that u have a collection that is ready to be glued into the map ur making.
    I say wait for the tools to be ready then u will find that more stuff has been added more props, entities, visual stuff ( fire,smoke,sounds,maybe DI ).
    Come on guys....
    You really don't need all of these things to make a layout. You don't even need lights or props.
    The only thing you need is walls and floor. You have the player start to see the size, and you know the onos wont be very different than the first one, so make your corridor larger enough and it will be okay.

And I dont agree with you, dont start doing art'ed rooms. You'll be disapointed once you'll have to modify your rooms to match the gameplay, and you'll waste time and work.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    No smaller than eclipse, no bigger than origin.
    <!--quoteo(post=1741673:date=Nov 30 2009, 09:53 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dux @ Nov 30 2009, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No smaller than eclipse, no bigger than origin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, looking at top view layouts of those two maps right now and getting a good idea for size :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1741673:date=Nov 30 2009, 09:53 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dux @ Nov 30 2009, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No smaller than eclipse, no bigger than origin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds good actually, but will the lenght be the same? or since there should be less corridors, we can quicker reach the opposite camp?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1741672:date=Nov 30 2009, 03:49 AM:name=Genova)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Genova @ Nov 30 2009, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I dont agree with you, dont start doing art'ed rooms. You'll be disapointed once you'll have to modify your rooms to match the gameplay, and you'll waste time and work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree, even if you end up having to trash or redo stuff, you will get good experience with the editor, and you can start refining the visual feel you want your map to eventually have.
    <!--quoteo(post=1741705:date=Nov 30 2009, 02:16 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monopolowa @ Nov 30 2009, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree, even if you end up having to trash or redo stuff, you will get good experience with the editor, and you can start refining the visual feel you want your map to eventually have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh ! Absolutely. If you want to play with the editor or do a styleguide... yes.
    But doing multiple rooms in separate levels and put them together and hope it will work as fine as saying it, is utopian.

Well... you might get ###### lucky or had a genius touch and have it work perfectly. But I wouldn't count on that :)