Presentation in school

korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2009 in NS2 E-Team
Hi all,

in school this year is all about the presentation itself. So we can choose our topic very free.

It's an IT-class, only some of them even know what Natural Selection is.

Presentation length: 15 minutes (yes, that's not much time).

Now I want to discuss what topics matter.

I thought about informing about NaturalSelection(1) first, say some words about Unknown Worlds and for an exciting end: Some insights in NS2.

What do you think about it?

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You should introduce UWE, say some words bout NS 1 and then cut straight to NS2 and focus on that.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    edited November 2009
    Show how UWE and Ns(2) evolved over the years, how they managed to get funding and so on.... and maybe mention decoda ? since its an it-class :D
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    What is the specific topic you're supposed to talk about? Or can you talk about anything you want?
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    I actually did a presentation of UWE/NS/NS2 some 2 years back. I told them about UWE in general, briefly about Decoda and Zen of Sudoku, showed 2 shots of Zen of Sudoku and a shot of the famous Armoury Lua-script and, of course, about NS1 and NS2 and showed the official NS 3.0 trailer and the Dynamic Infestation video. It lasted around 10 minutes like it was supposed to and went quite well. I still have the .ppt. At this point I might say with a sense of humour: follow my lead.
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1740518:date=Nov 26 2009, 04:29 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BadMouth @ Nov 26 2009, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the specific topic you're supposed to talk about? Or can you talk about anything you want?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can talk about anything i want. Just have to fix the exact topic on this Sunday, 29.11. 6 pm CET
    I'm going to phrase it "Entwicklung von Natural Selection" what means "growth of natural selection", so i can talk about unknown worlds too and concentrate on natural selection.

<!--quoteo(post=1740768:date=Nov 27 2009, 10:14 AM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KonserniJohtaja @ Nov 27 2009, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually did a presentation of UWE/NS/NS2 some 2 years back. (...) I still have the .ppt. At this point I might say with a sense of humour: follow my lead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, maybe you can send me the ppt-file. I don't think i'll use it one-to-one [at least i have to translate it ;)] but maybe it gives some inspiration. I'll send you my e-mail address through the forum-messanger.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    Sent. I hope it helps you out.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Evolution von Natural Selection" would fit better and is a play on itself, imo.
    But many people find my sense of humor a bit lacking, so use with care.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I'm curious how you're going to tie NS and UWE into an IT focused course.

Are you going to talk about the game? The engine? The design system? Gameplay/balance/features/etc.? Power/faults of community?
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there was a nice video some time back posted on twitter (i think), where a sponsor talked about the game (and the development of UWE) in his talk. Might be very helpful, but not able to find it though. :( Anyone else got the link?
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1740812:date=Nov 27 2009, 02:27 PM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KonserniJohtaja @ Nov 27 2009, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sent. I hope it helps you out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you.

<!--quoteo(post=1740846:date=Nov 27 2009, 04:31 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobB @ Nov 27 2009, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Evolution von Natural Selection" would fit better and is a play on itself, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hehe, yea, sounds good, but I don't have the heart to do that, it sound's a bit too freaky at this presentation-environment =)

<!--quoteo(post=1740894:date=Nov 27 2009, 06:21 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spellman23 @ Nov 27 2009, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm curious how you're going to tie NS and UWE into an IT focused course.

Are you going to talk about the game? The engine? The design system? Gameplay/balance/features/etc.? Power/faults of community?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can presentate about everything i want. So I'm going to talk, what interests most. I just talked about NS some days ago with some classmates. Some of them had no idea what kind of game it is, but were very interested on that. So I'll talk about the game. For the teacher the topic doesn't matter. Like you can read above: It's all about presentation itself.
    Engine and design system would be interesting stuff too, but I have no idea about that and they no idea about what it is...

<!--quoteo(post=1741210:date=Nov 28 2009, 01:22 PM:name=trinity.ns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trinity.ns @ Nov 28 2009, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there was a nice video some time back posted on twitter (i think), where a sponsor talked about the game (and the development of UWE) in his talk. Might be very helpful, but not able to find it though. :( Anyone else got the link?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds really interesting! I'm going to google it next week/month/year. If someone knows a link I wound be happy about it.
    Thanks for that hint trinity.ns

<!--coloro:#999999--><span style="color:#999999"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><Edit note: Some spelling-mistakes corrected ;)><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    thats why i couldn't find it. it was a blog update:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/game_investment_talk" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...investment_talk</a>

the NS2 Press Kit might be interesting for you as well

cheers
    trin
    edited November 2009
    Okey, thank you very much trinity.

Seker asked me about the age of the class: 17 to 28 years, average may be 23.

I definitely decided to take "developement" instead of "evolution". "Developement" causes a neutral feeling, but I think "evolution" will cause a negative one. I had no better idea. It's fixed now.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Kool.

Well, make sure if you're using Powerpoint to follow these basic rules:
    1) Don't read slides word for word. Leave gaps to fill in with your talky.
    2) One-line bullet points are friends unless you're quoting something
    3) Transitions typically are stupid

One concept I'd hit on would be how polarizing the experience seems to be on people. Some think the RTS/FPS is the second coming. Others see it as too complex, I just wanna shooty stuff. Then there's the whole argument about forced teamwork versus individual skill versus noob friendly.

Basically, I doubt you'll have a shortage of topics you can cover. Just pick the best and hone in on them.

Good Luck!
    @spellman: 1) to 3) is clear and i can follow you but
    <!--quoteo(post=1741643:date=Nov 30 2009, 07:42 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spellman23 @ Nov 30 2009, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...)
    how polarizing the experience seems to be on people. (Some think the RTS/FPS is the second coming. Others see it as too complex,) I just wanna shooty stuff. Then there's the whole argument about forced teamwork versus individual skill versus noob friendly.
    (...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    - I'm no native speaker and have troubles to understand what you mean. Maybe you can explain what you mean in some other words =)

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->[15 years school, 11 years english and you can't understand any phrases...]<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    edited December 2009
    (...)
    how polarizing the experience seems to be on people. (Some think the RTS/FPS is the second coming. Others see it as too complex,) I just wanna shooty stuff. Then there's the whole argument about forced teamwork versus individual skill versus noob friendly.
    (...)

die Erfahrung scheint die Leute zu polarisieren. (Einige denken das RTS/FPS im (zweitem) kommen ist. Andere sehen es als ZU Komplex,) Ich will Sachen abschießen.
    Dann ist da noch der Streitpunkt über das gezwungene Teamspiel gegenüber individual skill gegenüber "noob" freundlichkeit.

Naja nicht perfekt übersetzt aber immerhin ^^
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1742068:date=Dec 2 2009, 02:34 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seker @ Dec 2 2009, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...)
    (...)

die Erfahrung scheint die Leute zu polarisieren. (Einige denken das RTS/FPS im (zweitem) kommen ist. Andere sehen es als ZU Komplex,) Ich will Sachen abschießen.
    Dann ist da noch der Streitpunkt über das gezwungene Teamspiel gegenüber individual skill gegenüber "noob" freundlichkeit.
    Naja nicht perfekt übersetzt aber immerhin ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okey, thats the same translation like I understand it. But i have troubles with understanding what he want's to say that way. ^^

Well, whatever, here are the newest facts:

Presentation is after 22ths of January 2010. Handout is an imperative.
    Sounds like lot of time, but not for me...
    Er sagt quasi die "Erfahrung" teilt die Leute. Manche denken RTS/FPS ist im kommen andere sehen es als zu komplex, die wollen ja eh nur Ballern (Counter Strike).
    <!--quoteo(post=1742472:date=Dec 5 2009, 01:26 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seker @ Dec 5 2009, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er sagt quasi die "Erfahrung" teilt die Leute. Manche denken RTS/FPS ist im kommen andere sehen es als zu komplex, die wollen ja eh nur Ballern (Counter Strike).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, okey, i see.. Yea, thats right...
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Show us what you got :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1742512:date=Dec 5 2009, 07:41 AM:name=korvo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(korvo @ Dec 5 2009, 07:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, okey, i see.. Yea, thats right...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kurz und knapp, die einen findens doof die andern nicht.

Vielleicht hilft dir ja das so weiter ^^

Yeah show us what you got.
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1743147:date=Dec 9 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seker @ Dec 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kurz und knapp, die einen findens doof die andern nicht.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Let's talk english - Online, the world is one team, talking in one language that everyone can understand everything.
    Especially here - at the forum of the american company, we are supporting...
    I'm sure that playing Natural Selection 2 online will be for free, but since you have to pay for playing e.g. WoW - or what I've heared about the new Bnet, what SC2 and D3 will use, I have to play save:

Can someone confirm me, that Unknown Worlds Entertainment not only seems to be cool, but is cool and won't ask for any money for playing online? Well, I'm very sure that they are not that malicious, but I need some facts for the presentation. Is there an official statement or something I can go back to?
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748571:date=Jan 22 2010, 09:58 AM:name=korvo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korvo @ Jan 22 2010, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure that playing Natural Selection 2 online will be for free, but since you have to pay for playing e.g. WoW - or what I've heared about the new Bnet, what SC2 and D3 will use, I have to play save:

Can someone confirm me, that Unknown Worlds Entertainment not only seems to be cool, but is cool and won't ask for any money for playing online? Well, I'm very sure that they are not that malicious, but I need some facts for the presentation. Is there an official statement or something I can go back to?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's pretty safe to say that it will be free to play online since the game is about online gaming only. Considering facts like they are an indie company and they've sold a good lot of pre-orders already and they didn't mentioned it before.

I doubt they'd do that anyways, they would have to deal with mass refunds and maybe worse in the case that they would make this decision so don't worry.

Good school presentation subject I have to say ;)
    The online system is backed by steamworks, and those games are mostly free to play on line.
    Someone has nice screenshots of a self-made map, what I can use?
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    You can use mine if you like them, or you could ask Braw, he's done great work.

Look in the screenshots thread.
    edited February 2010
    Ah, I haven't seen the forest for the trees, <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108129" target="_blank">there</a> is the thread :D

Well, it's done since approximately 3 months now.

There was an enormous interest in class, so it was easy going. I'm very satisfied with the result and it was a very good mark.

I still have the power-point-presentation-file(s): Just contact me through pm (private forum message) if you have a use for it...