Rescource Towering Act as phase in beacons

brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
edited November 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Health & Ammo packs; Coupled with phase suit suggestion</div>I've never liked the idea of commanders being able to phase in health and ammo across the map inherently. It lacks tact, so I suggest Health Pack and Ammo Pack phasing be limited to withing proximity areas around built Marine Resource Towers and built Armories.

What?.. that would cut down on rouge marines you say?..

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    It would also cut down possible strategies and make commanding rather dull sometimes. It wouldn't work on NS1 at least. The effect on NS2 is still debatable, but I don't like the idea of limiting the commander's area of control too much. It's already difficult enough to make it accessible for new players while still keeping the more experienced comms interested.
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736462:date=Nov 5 2009, 11:49 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Nov 5 2009, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would also cut down possible strategies and make commanding rather dull sometimes. It wouldn't work on NS1 at least. The effect on NS2 is still debatable, but I don't like the idea of limiting the commander's area of control too much. It's already difficult enough to make it accessible for new players while still keeping the more experienced comms interested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't cut down on strategies in any way.. just support. This is for Meds and Ammo, not PGs or structures.

Marines can still go rouge... though, in all likelihood it would cut down on that.. it would result in groups of marines pushing out together. Lerk spores & OCs would become more inhibiting, but if anything that would require a strategy in the form of an armory drop, as I said it would allow health and ammo support, to deal with those scenarios. It forces the comm to be more cunning and alert, and forces the players to be more reserved and deliberate.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    It would turn the game into a huge grindfest. Marines die pretty much within 30s max without med/ammo support from the comm, why would they leave their already fortified areas if theyre just going to die? Say hello to public TF2 push map gameplay converted over to NS2 for me if this is implemented.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    But then how would I ammospam a marine who is desperately calling for health?
    <!--quoteo(post=1736470:date=Nov 6 2009, 07:12 AM:name=brcaswell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brcaswell @ Nov 6 2009, 07:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't cut down on strategies in any way.. just support. This is for Meds and Ammo, not PGs or structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can't for example push any aliens nodes quickly as you're forced to stop for capping. That's one of the MOST BASIC strategical decisions any commander with control over team has to make. Sure you can try pushing the nodes without support, but a single lerk will shut down most attempts with ease, not to speak of a decent alien team with skulk support.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736495:date=Nov 6 2009, 05:49 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Nov 6 2009, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't for example push any aliens nodes quickly as you're forced to stop for capping. That's one of the MOST BASIC strategical decisions any commander with control over team has to make. Sure you can try pushing the nodes without support, but a single lerk will shut down most attempts with ease, not to speak of a decent alien team with skulk support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering you've already disproved your example of how limiting this form of support does not remove strategies, is your true argument that a lerk should remain ineffectual, and that a decent alien team shouldn't be able to stand against charging marines?

You also seem to have something against RTs offering a strategic purpose other than resource gathering. i.e. 'forced to cap'.

You've also neglected to include the strat of dropping armories to gain such support in areas 'BEHIND ENEMY LINES'. Obviously your scenerio doesn't differ from the alternative to this limited support if the marines were near resource towers ( how near??, who knows.. hasn't been discussed yet has it.. so your also basing your argument on your complete presumption of the coverage area offered by the RTs being small.)
    <!--quoteo(post=1736489:date=Nov 6 2009, 05:22 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Nov 6 2009, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would turn the game into a huge grindfest. Marines die pretty much within 30s max without med/ammo support from the comm, why would they leave their already fortified areas if theyre just going to die? Say hello to public TF2 push map gameplay converted over to NS2 for me if this is implemented.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bad marines should get grinded...

unless it's bs medspam, however costly in res it might be, meds don't cause a marine to live longer, as they are usually medded after/between the incidents of conflicts. What it would make them do is fall back into supported area for meds and ammo between such conflicts, OR move behind the next marine (BECAUSE THIS WOULD ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO NOT ROUGE) and provide cover for the point marine.

Also your basing such experience on the current gameplay in NS1, which is full of rouging marines, making your initial point illegitimate to begin with.

As far as the fortified areas argument, depending on the circumstances, that's either a guaranteed way to lose, or a strategy to win. If you're holding choke points with adequate RTs and a hive, marine's could certainly buckle down while upgrades are going. Do you even play this game?
  • Wolv3rn3Wolv3rn3 Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26183Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tztztz.. add classes in NS2.. play a Medic :P

But that's an idea, why not every marine have a medpack with him, can be restocked at Armory and upgraded later to hold 2 or 3 medpacks. Same with Ammo carrying, upgrade "bandolier" like in Call of Duty. It's much better for the new ressource system than, cause every marine have it's own ressource pool.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736493:date=Nov 6 2009, 05:46 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 6 2009, 05:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But then how would I ammospam a marine who is desperately calling for health?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha.. well, heres' the kicker.. he wouldn't even be calling for it because he would know he's in an unsupported area. But if he did call for it, you would know a group of marines would need support, and they would be around a marine structure somewhere..

than you could spam ammo until the die by parasite. haha
    <!--quoteo(post=1736578:date=Nov 6 2009, 05:32 PM:name=Wolv3rn3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolv3rn3 @ Nov 6 2009, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tztztz.. add classes in NS2.. play a Medic :P

But that's an idea, why not every marine have a medpack with him, can be restocked at Armory and upgraded later to hold 2 or 3 medpacks. Same with Ammo carrying, upgrade "bandolier" like in Call of Duty. It's much better for the new ressource system than, cause every marine have it's own ressource pool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because that would remove a vital operation performed by the commander. It is one of the few things that actually requires the commander to be alert. It would also bring resource management into question, as one of the most costly operations is meds, ammo, and catalyst pack drops. It removes a reliance on teamplay factor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736574:date=Nov 6 2009, 11:12 PM:name=brcaswell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brcaswell @ Nov 6 2009, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering you've already disproved your example of how limiting this form of support does not remove strategies, is your true argument that a lerk should remain ineffectual, and that a decent alien team shouldn't be able to stand against charging marines?

You also seem to have something against RTs offering a strategic purpose other than resource gathering. i.e. 'forced to cap'.

You've also neglected to include the strat of dropping armories to gain such support in areas 'BEHIND ENEMY LINES'. Obviously your scenerio doesn't differ from the alternative to this limited support if the marines were near resource towers ( how near??, who knows.. hasn't been discussed yet has it.. so your also basing your argument on your complete presumption of the coverage area offered by the RTs being small.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The pushing without support will work only if you're limiting the alien team from everything spore/spit like, which doesn't most likely serve the rest of the gameplay one bit. I could see some options in marines supporting each other, but then again the commander should also co-operate if pushing is possible, he's a crucial team member after all.

Obiviously you can have the RTs have huge support range, but it kinda diminishes the effect of the whole idea, doesn't it? At that point it only adds a little nuisance element while doing those bigger flanks. You could illustrate the optimal range a bit if it's possible to make it an interesting element.

Dropping armories is an option yes, but I can't see why there needs to be an overcomplication at that point. Building against a decent alien team is tricky as they wear your health and armor down whenever it's possible. Guarding armories while pushing doesn't sound like a blast either.

I've got nothing against the RTs offering more strategical purposes, but marine support is something absolutely crucial in evenly matched games. Binding it to nodes doesn't add decisions, it forces one kind of approach to offensive play.
  • innocivinnociv Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69280Members
    I think things falling from the sky is silly.

I agree though, that the commander needs things to do that requires his attention to influence the match, and if anything should be MORE difficult since there will be the possibility of 2 comms. IE this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107823&st=0#entry1736394" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=0#entry1736394</a>
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    edited November 2009
    Awsome gameplay mechanic suggestion brought on by this topic:

Since Natural Selection 2 is going for the 3D printing approach to a lot of it's current technology, It would stand to reason that it is this same technology that allows for the construction of buildings out of thin air in the field etc.

So the ships and facilities in which the maps take place would be loaded with these 3D printing emitters and they would naturally be tied in to the powergrid, so areas infestested by infestation would suffer greatly in that basically nothing could be constructed here by the Commander, including building and support drops.

So this would require that the commander supplies the marines with weaponslot occupied deployable self-sufficient 3D-printers for the deploying of base expansions in infested areas. And/Or the marines themselves have the option to buy these deployable and possibly even upgrading their armor with a portable 3D-printer. Which would consume his resources if he wants to recieve a medpack or ammo, which could be under a seperate subsection of the radial menu. Plus this would enable the Commander to get a moving construction area, as he could tie into the marine's 3D-printer to drop medpacks and ammopacks but also for building structures like turret factories etc.

Well that's my 2 cents any thoughts?
  • innocivinnociv Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69280Members
    Might take some of the fun out of it. "Yay, we made it! Okay comm, make a RT" "I can't, the one who died must of had the deployer"
    It could be very frustrating.

At least if you could pick it up from someone dying, it wouldn't be so bad. But it'd also probably be confusing to new players.

I like just being able to build within line of sight, even if it isn't realistic. You'd also have to sort of figure that a skulk could much more easily just just in out of no where and destroy this 3d printer, since it's small enough to be man-portable, instead of the RT that's under construction.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736470:date=Nov 6 2009, 04:42 PM:name=brcaswell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brcaswell @ Nov 6 2009, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't cut down on strategies in any way.. just support. This is for Meds and Ammo, not PGs or structures.

Marines can still go rouge... though, in all likelihood it would cut down on that.. it would result in groups of marines pushing out together. Lerk spores & OCs would become more inhibiting, but if anything that would require a strategy in the form of an armory drop, as I said it would allow health and ammo support, to deal with those scenarios. It forces the comm to be more cunning and alert, and forces the players to be more reserved and deliberate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    obviously it will cut back on strategies that require med and ammo support. so what happens when a group of marines push forward into an unsupported area and require health and and ammo? are you going to drop an armoury just so they can refurb and then move on?
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    At the end of the day a marine can only kill one or two lower lifeforms without med support unless they're just plain out-skilling and out-thinking the opposition.

Making it so you can only stay alive near an RT will make it so marines will camp until the alien team attempts to oust them and loses a key lifeform at which point the marines will push to the next node and do the same all over again. It's basically cp_ mode TF2.

Oh and if lerk spores became any more inhibiting then they may as well just be called clouds of instagib.