need a bit of help

ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">replacing a mobo</div>so, I believe my mother board is fried (seems the most likely culprit after testing a number of things)

The motherboard in question is: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012" target="_blank">GABYTE GA-965P-DS3</a>

I think the remaining components are all fine (swapping stuff around and with spare parts yields the same problems)

Problem? Hunting up something that matches those specs when I only have my netbook left is kindof a pain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, also what is in the system:
PSU SPARKLEPWR|ATX-450PN 450W
VGA EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR 8800GTS
CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G
MEM 1Gx2|KST DII800 KVR800D2K2/2GR

The memory is not actually what is in it. It died a while ago, and the replacement I bought doesn't have sufficient marking on it for me to remember wth it is (and I bought it in a store, so no email trail), though I think it is similar, though one 2gig stick instead of 2 1s

Thank you all.

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I just looked for a place to buy it and it's discontinued everywhere. I looked for a newer model that could replace it and found nothing but other people asking the same question with no useful answers.

This is another reply with no useful answer, which will probably be found by someone a year and a half from now google'ing the same problem.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128356" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128356</a>

Similar, hopefully what you want.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Well, I'm a little confused as to what you're asking for, but here's a list of boards that should work for you based on your old board's CPU socket type (LGA775), memory standard (DDR2 800), graphics (PCI express) and form factor (ATX).

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%201070509908%201387927158%201075707618&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....mp;Order=RATING</a>
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    rob and thaldy nailed it. Simply looking for a replacement for a discontinued motherboard, just trying to make sure I don't pick up something that doesn't support my current components (As I really don't feel like buying an entire new computer)

Thank you both, I will look over those and nab something. I honestly had forgotten about newegg's powersearch, and the ability to tick off all of the various things I needed in a motherboard.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    But, this is a sign that you should upgrade everything to pure awesome for the coming years of gaming! Re-build! Re-build!

and yes, Newegg's powersearch is pure awesome.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2951" target="_blank">http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2951</a>

aquired this one some weeks ago, never been happier. fastest ddr2 mobo atm.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    so.

It booted this morning.

Question 2!

Any one know of some way to test a motherboard? (software?)
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1735811:date=Nov 3 2009, 08:14 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Nov 3 2009, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so.

It booted this morning.

Question 2!

Any one know of some way to test a motherboard? (software?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well the main board is a pretty complex thing. If it boots, that's one thing, but the board can soldier on without a working usb controller or one PCI slot that's bad, etc. All the computer really needs to call itself a computer is the main buses for CPU and memory, the video bus, and some kind of BIOS for bootstrapping itself.

Some of the hardest things to diagnose on a mainboard are power issues where either your power supply isn't good enough or damaged or your board is damaged and unable to distribute the power were it needs to be. That could cause intermittent failures while it's running and the like. If you're sure there's something wrong with the mother board, you should just go ahead and replace it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1735813:date=Nov 3 2009, 08:28 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Nov 3 2009, 08:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the main board is a pretty complex thing. If it boots, that's one thing, but the board can soldier on without a working usb controller or one PCI slot that's bad, etc. All the computer really needs to call itself a computer is the main buses for CPU and memory, the video bus, and some kind of BIOS for bootstrapping itself.

Some of the hardest things to diagnose on a mainboard are power issues where either your power supply isn't good enough or damaged or your board is damaged and unable to distribute the power were it needs to be. That could cause intermittent failures while it's running and the like. If you're sure there's something wrong with the mother board, you should just go ahead and replace it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yah, that was the general idea I was getting. I think I am just going to pick out a new board, bookmark it on the netbook, and order it if anything goes wrong again.

thanks for the help :)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    edited November 2009
    Stupid test: change the CMOS battery. If you can turn on your PC without seeing anything on the screen, that's often the problem. Signs that point out towards CMOS battery failure:

-the pc powers up, but there is no POST
    -occasional booting
    -When the pc does boot, the date/time is reset to factory defaults (Jan 1 2000?)
    -You did absolutely nothing potentially dangerous with your pc, yet it seems "fried".

edit: the battery you're looking for is most certainly a button "CR2032" battery located somewhere near the PCI slots.
    re-edit: this battery is also (and generally) used for watches, so you'll have more luck at a watchmaker's than at a computer store. People only very rarely change that CMOS battery.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    To remove that battery can be quite a trick, I had a similar problem with the clock and settings resetting when the PC was turned off for more then a week. The batter was held on by a clamp which was connected to a few rods on the back of the mobo... Removing the entire mobo to access them was the only way, and even then they didn't want to cooperate much :P
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    I myself just recently cured a mysteriuos PC issue.

PC didnt boot and post from time to time.
    Mobo Error Code was "CPU INIT"
    Mobo diods were all lit except for CPU
    ->weeks pass
    PC didnt boot and post more often.
    ->weeks pass
    PC didnt boot and post at all, unless I powered it on and then flicked the PSU switch from on to off and back to on very quickly
    ->weeks pass
    Even switch flicking didnt help anymore

First I though it was the mobo itself or the CPU. But it turned out that the PSU was slowly dieing and just didnt supply constant voltages anymore.

So before you blame the mobo, please try a different, working PSU.

Note this was with a high quality PSU brand and after calling their support and sending the PSU in I a got a new (and better one) within a week.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Computers are lovely little pets aren't they... As long as they aren't sick, way to many options that could be the cause of something silly.

Heck I've heard from someone that his car wouldn't start because the windscreen wiper fluid was close to empty... Or brake lights refusing to work, because his radio was on MP3/CD mode... Go figure :P