What stops you from preordering ?

Comments

• vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    I'm still waiting for my girlfriend to preorder it for my upcoming birthday.
  • Paradox MonkeyParadox Monkey Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61969Members
    Only thing stopping me from preordering now is that I'm completely broke.
  • IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735671:date=Nov 2 2009, 04:57 PM:name=Mormy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mormy @ Nov 2 2009, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im sorry but linux are for the pirates and cheap users . due to the fact that linux is free<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sir, you look like carrot-top. Your argument is invalid.
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    Does Steam even work on Linux?
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735564:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:56 AM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Nov 2 2009, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What stops you from preordering?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm too much of a kitty to preorder. I hate black armor and developers make me cry. I wet my bed last night to a nightmare of violence in video games.
  • HozartHozart Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 19004Members
    I want a demo. How does the game play? Is it faster? Is it slower? Does it cater to newbies? Does it cater to pros? How intuitive it is the interface? Is everything still complicated? How do the aliens play? Alien commander? How do the marines play? Is commanding easier or streamlined? Have they added recoil to the guns? Do skulk bites autolock on targets? Any new abilities? What is the overall learning curve?

Screenshots don't answer these questions.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735893:date=Nov 3 2009, 01:29 PM:name=Hozart)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hozart @ Nov 3 2009, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want a demo. How does the game play? Is it faster? Is it slower? Does it cater to newbies? Does it cater to pros? How intuitive it is the interface? Is everything still complicated? How do the aliens play? Alien commander? How do the marines play? Is commanding easier or streamlined? Have they added recoil to the guns? Do skulk bites autolock on targets? Any new abilities? What is the overall learning curve?

Screenshots don't answer these questions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So basically you won't preorder for any reason? Would gameplay videos suffice instead of a demo(which would come out after they're done presumably.)
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I think this is what Hozart actually said:

<!--quoteo(post=1735896:date=Nov 3 2009, 06:32 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Nov 3 2009, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically you won't preorder blindly for any reason?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can agree with that sentiment - If we don't get some more solid gameplay information, or a demo, I'll simply be waiting to hear player feedback and reviews before I purchase - which would seem to preclude the whole concept of pre-ordering.
  • PolskaPolska Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10782Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735574:date=Nov 2 2009, 12:17 PM:name=borsuk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk @ Nov 2 2009, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More importantly, Linux people are a lot more technically capable, and more able to set up dedicated servers, create mods, maps and so forth. They need less hand-holding and provide better feedback, very rarely<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a load of gibberish get over yourself :P.

I hope they don't waste their time supporting linux. Unless a native client is truly easy to develop because of the development route they chose, it would probably mean delay of the product. Even if your figure of 5% (which is small) is correct, I am sure many of those have a windows machine, just as many windows users have linux machines/partitions (I have 2 machines running linux, although win is my primary).
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735915:date=Nov 3 2009, 02:44 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 3 2009, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is what Hozart actually said:

I can agree with that sentiment - If we don't get some more solid gameplay information, or a demo, I'll simply be waiting to hear player feedback and reviews before I purchase - which would seem to preclude the whole concept of pre-ordering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thing is, preordering requires some trust on the player part. I think that they've released a lot of info about the game.

>Is it faster? Is it slower?
    Games are expected to be shorter 15-20 minutes(from recent interview)
    >Does it cater to newbies?
    See sig.
    >Does it cater to pros?
    See sig.
    >How intuitive it is the interface?
    You may as well ask "how blue is the sky?" when talking about an unfinished game. We know they want to minimize the huds. They've released a commander mockup, a weapon buy screen mockup, and a kharaa hud mockup. Interfaces are always subject to change and will be modifiable besides.
    >Is everything still complicated?
    The goal is for it to be "easy to learn, hard to master". In fact this is one of the four pillars of NS2. You won't know if it succeeds until the game is released though.
    >Alien commander?
    Yes, there is at least one.
    >Is commanding easier or streamlined?
    There's a commanding interface input thread in the I&S forums. As I mentioned before they did show an interface mockup. They've also decoupled the comms from the non-comms a bit. Marines will be able to buy weapons and comms will have builder units.
    >Have they added recoil to the guns?
    They've tested it on the HMG; we don't know anything beyond that.
    >Do skulk bites autolock on targets?
    No, the autobite feature was tested and removed.
    >Any new abilities?
    You should read the skulk, gorge, and onos reveals. There are changes but I'm not going to list them all here.
    >What is the overall learning curve?
    Same as above. They're working on it, but you won't know if it succeeds until the game is released.

This is why I said you're not going to preorder the game; you want to play it first. There's nothing wrong with that, it's perfectly valid to want a demo/free weekend before you actually buy a game. A preorder is different than buying a game though. There will always be many questions you can ask about an unfinished game, but they won't always be answered because it is an unfinished game. Either you're interested enough to look at the information provided and take a chance or not. I hope that if you're truly on the fence the answers to the questions above intrigue you enough to preorder. The information is there for you to peruse if you want to look at the direction of the game, but there aren't many concrete answers yet. You're not going to see gameplay videos until UWE is ready to release them and based on past experience that will be very close to the release of the game, maybe the start of the beta.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    guys, its $20, pre-order it - in the time you've taken to read through this thread you could have made $20 by delivering news papers or whatever it is that people do these days! :)

if you lost $20 in the street you would hardly think twice about it - so even if the game does become vapourware what have you really lost?

dont forget pre-ordering increases the chance of the game being released earlier, and with more features.

I just can't see what all of the fuss is about, especially when you compare games such as machinarium, or trine, they are $20-30, yet they are B rated games compared to the AAA title NS2 will be.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735976:date=Nov 3 2009, 04:39 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 3 2009, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you lost $20 in the street you would hardly think twice about it - so even if the game does become vapourware what have you really lost?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

$20 could feed a family of 12 for 9 months in Africa.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735978:date=Nov 4 2009, 10:45 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 4 2009, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->$20 could feed a family of 12 for 9 months in Africa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*facepalm*
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    HAHA^^

but schkorpio is right. Hell I'll spend 20$ in one night at a pool bar with my friends... and I anticipate that NS2 will bring mush more lasting entertainment than a few beers and some pool rounds :P So yeah, $20 incredibly well spent! (I got the SE though, shhhhhh don't tell no one)
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735925:date=Nov 3 2009, 08:28 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Nov 3 2009, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is why I said you're not going to preorder the game; you want to play it first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You actually said Hozart was not going to preorder the game, but leaving that aside - you are not the arbiter of all that is true and informative about NS2, and the"answers" contained in your post don't hold any weight whatsoever as far as my desire to play or not to play this game. In fact it didn't really merit a reply, as this isn't a discussion I particularly care to have, except for one thing, and this is related to something I and others have mentioned that holds us back from "taking a chance" on a pre-order:

<!--quoteo(post=1735925:date=Nov 3 2009, 08:28 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Nov 3 2009, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->>Do skulk bites autolock on targets?
    No, the autobite feature was tested and removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I meant when I said it was terrifying that UWE is proactively taking into account feedback from people who have never seen or played their in-production game. "Autobite" was never about "locking on to targets!" It simply meant "bite on contact" for targets you've already fired at and are being propelled towards. As proven conclusively by your post, reactionaries on this very forum saw the word "auto" and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was equivalent to "autoaim," threw a tantrum about it, and shockingly UWE removed attack functionality based on nothing but a total misinterpretation by forum-goers!
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736009:date=Nov 3 2009, 09:22 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 3 2009, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You actually said Hozart was not going to preorder the game, but leaving that aside - you are not the arbiter of all that is true and informative about NS2, and the"answers" contained in your post don't hold any weight whatsoever as far as my desire to play or not to play this game. In fact it didn't really merit a reply, as this isn't a discussion I particularly care to have, except for one thing, and this is related to something I and others have mentioned that holds us back from "taking a chance" on a pre-order:

This is what I meant when I said it was terrifying that UWE is proactively taking into account feedback from people who have never seen or played their in-production game. "Autobite" was never about "locking on to targets!" It simply meant "bite on contact" for targets you've already fired at and are being propelled towards. As proven conclusively by your post, reactionaries on this very forum saw the word "auto" and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was equivalent to "autoaim," threw a tantrum about it, and shockingly UWE removed attack functionality based on nothing but a total misinterpretation by forum-goers!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have no clue if they removed auto-bite due to the comments on the forums. They could of tried it and it didn't feel right. Which happens a lot. Just like the overwatch feature stated in the "Hot Topics, Round #1" thread.
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735925:date=Nov 3 2009, 03:28 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Nov 3 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->>How intuitive it is the interface?
    You may as well ask "how blue is the sky?" when talking about an unfinished game. We know they want to minimize the huds. They've released a commander mockup, a weapon buy screen mockup, and a kharaa hud mockup. Interfaces are always subject to change and will be modifiable besides.
    >Is everything still complicated?
    The goal is for it to be "easy to learn, hard to master". In fact this is one of the four pillars of NS2. You won't know if it succeeds until the game is released though.
    >Alien commander?
    Yes, there is at least one.
    >Is commanding easier or streamlined?
    There's a commanding interface input thread in the I&S forums. As I mentioned before they did show an interface mockup. They've also decoupled the comms from the non-comms a bit. Marines will be able to buy weapons and comms will have builder units.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where are these mock ups? I haven't seen them.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I'll pre-order as soon as they get confirmation about being able to download the game off steam content servers.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/5unknown_worlds_podcast_24_ns2_first_prototypes" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008...irst_prototypes</a>

these are the mockups hes referring to.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1736020:date=Nov 3 2009, 10:46 PM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Nov 3 2009, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll pre-order as soon as they get confirmation about being able to download the game off steam content servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ctd, as much as I think steam is beautiful, it's moderately safe to assume this will be a steam downloadable game with zen of sudoku already a published game from UWE.

But most importantly. Your 20 dollars if you purchase a pre-order key through UWE is 20 dollars in their pocket. Steam'll charge a premium, and steam pays royalties in time batches, not instantaneous like they need as a company to continue working hard.

I doubt you'll have a problem getting the game downloaded. But it would be really great to see you contribute. :) Since this is a multi-player only game either way non-retail, steams best feature of having no media to deal with in your drive, you have no reason not to support them directly. An added shortcut on a game with steamworks integration is no different then buying it direct.

Help em out! Feel good about it too!
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    I bought the white armor edition with pre-alpha access for $60.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736032:date=Nov 4 2009, 05:36 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 4 2009, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought the white armor edition with pre-alpha access for $60.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought the fluro pink armour edition with *current* access for 2 dorrah.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735978:date=Nov 3 2009, 07:45 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 3 2009, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->$20 could feed a family of 12 for 9 months in Africa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in some parts of the world, money has no value, because you don't have where to spend this...
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    As a general principle, I don't buy games until I've either played a demo or heard some trusted opinions. I'll also usually wait some time after release for the prices to go down, although since NS2 starts at $20 I don't think that will be necessary in this instance.

Even games I was <i>sure</i> I'd love have washed out (<i>Spore</i>), so I feel pretty justified with this mindset.
  • SlickWillSlickWill Join Date: 2004-02-17 Member: 26642Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    I won't buy this game until I get NS:S or that Nexus hub or whatever BS (a lot of talk and not onte thing ever came of it.) I don't trust this dev team. There has been a complete lack of support, they let a vibrant CAL community flounder and die, and I think they lie consistently to us. OOOOO, 2 photoshpped screen shots!!!!

Once the game exists, I will buy it.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Those screenshots weren't photoshopped.
  • GuessmynameGuessmyname Join Date: 2009-08-14 Member: 68475Members
    edited November 2009
    I preordered because, even if the gameplay turns out to be crap, I want to wander around the levels and gawk at the engine.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1736033:date=Nov 4 2009, 11:45 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Nov 4 2009, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought the fluro pink armour edition with *current* access for 2 dorrah and my sense of humour<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735978:date=Nov 4 2009, 10:45 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Nov 4 2009, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->$20 could feed a family of 12 for 9 months in Africa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could buy me a six pack.
  • Grunt MagnusGrunt Magnus Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66687Members
    edited November 2009
    The lack of a release date.

I'm not into mapping or modding so I could care less about getting the SDK. To a lesser degree I could care less about alpha access. I simply want to know when to expect to receive the product that I pre-order. I don't think that's too unreasonable.