got some ideas

2»

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Advertisements would be placed in the game because more people are likely going to load up the video game than the website.

I imagine that Temphage's reaction is that of an extreme minority and losing 1 sale out of [whatever number you want to put here to make the ratio seem ridiculous] won't phase UWE. I think the potential money gained from continued readyroom advertisements far outweighs the loss of (at best?) a couple hundred sales.

The <i>vast</i> majority of people in the world do not mind advertisements in services or products they've pay for. Popular examples such as cable television, movie theaters, magazines, and newspapers come to mind.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2009
    hope devs read in this topic
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    oh god, I quit reading his dribble bull###### of an argument against adds after that unnecessarily long stupid post about all negatives of adds,

hey ######, uh... you forgot the positives.

Hell, UWE advertises, "ZOMFG, NOW THEY ARE ###### EVIL, THEY SPAM OTHERS, ZOMG, HATE HATE, WTF ZOMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *nerd rage*"
    and if you don't do what I just quoted, even if it's alittle less.... funny than what I showed, then you are speaking out of your ass and lying through your grimy ass teeth about your hate of paying for ads....

If you don't want minor adds in ready room, don't join the ready room, oh wait, you have to to play the game, oh well, don't play the game, then you'll have a 100% chance to not pay for ads.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Even "limited" advertising is a step in the wrong direction. I got Killing Floor after Red Orchestra , having to watch in-game ads for a game I already own is rather irritating.

What could UWE advertise , Zen of Sudoku ? Pre-order the special edition if you're one of the 5% who didn't ?

Wouldn't constellation members feel insulted if their game had random ads all of a sudden ? I don't think Flayra ever considered this anyway. Doesn't exactly fit his philosophy.
  • blitz_krieg001blitz_krieg001 Join Date: 2009-11-03 Member: 69237Members
    Among the insane ramblings of Temphage, there is at least some merit, although not neccessrily his/her ideas, there is the possibility of using ad revenue as alternative funding to game purchase, rather than just in addition.
    Eg. Download the game and play for free (or a reduced price from the normal retail price if ad revenue per player is not expected to add up to the retail price over a reasonable time). If a player wants they can "unlock" the ad-free version by paying the retail price. Obviously pre-orders would automatically get the ad-free version i guess.
    Personally i'm not convinced that ads in the ready room are a great idea, not because of any worries about alienating players or ruining the mood, but they may simply not be financially worthwhile, advertisers may not be interested, as i think grabbing the players attention in the ready room may be difficult, and by the time a player finishes playing they have probably forgotten about any ads they saw in the ready room (then again i guess this isn't much different to tv advertising, but it's a lot different to the way internet advertising seems to work where advertisers want immediate click-throughs to their own websites from ads.) But I would definitely consider it a possibility, but would, as suggested above, better consider it an alternative way to monetize people who don't want to immediately purchase the full priced game.
    "advertisers may not be interested, as i think grabbing the players attention in the ready room may be difficult,"

that's why UWE gives a white lie of what players do in ready room xD
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    I would not mind in-game advertising.
    edited November 2009
    I dont think advertizers would care where the ads is placed, I have seen sites with advertizments is in some places that are barly noticable, I think they only are interessted in how much traffic a game/site is getting.
    and as i said if its bothering some players it could only be temporarly for them to get started and after that they only relay on income from steam after release.
  • MxOAgentJohnsonMxOAgentJohnson Join Date: 2009-11-08 Member: 69311Members
    i like the idea of ingame advertisements, the ready room one is a good idea

why not make it so when your loading servers. you have a little banner under the "Downloading files" or "sending info" with the advert on, you will only see it during loading time and nowhere else
    edited November 2009
    No way anyone can gripe about a 10 second advertisement for... hmmm, L4D 2, under "Downloading NS2_Hivela-la-Land.mxb"

I give a THUMBS DOW... UP!

Thumbs up on that idea.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736963:date=Nov 10 2009, 04:40 AM:name=ryknow69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryknow69 @ Nov 10 2009, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No way anyone can gripe about a 10 second advertisement for... hmmm, L4D 2, under "Downloading NS2_Hivela-la-Land.mxb"

I give a THUMBS DOW... UP!

Thumbs up on that idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that could allso work it might not generate much, but heeyy it is making something at least
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The ready rooms should be designed like terminalhalls at airports then.

Ads would need to follow two simple rules:

* No flashy attention whoring
    * No Sounds whatsoever
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    How bout you start the game and you in a little window some moving adverts ?
    (Once per start or at level change ?)

I find it pretty annoying with valve and their ingame advertisement ... and then if you die on the upper screen too bleh :S
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ingame advertisement? where?
    me too, where do u find this advertisement!?
    <!--quoteo(post=1738684:date=Nov 22 2009, 04:50 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Nov 22 2009, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ready rooms should be designed like terminalhalls at airports then.

Ads would need to follow two simple rules:

* No flashy attention whoring
    * No Sounds whatsoever<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah exactly i forgot to mension that when i opened the topic NO SOUND only moving pictuers in the LCDs
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159610" target="_blank">http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159610</a>
    I was allso thinking that even if it didnt make a huge diffrense in revenue it could at least pay off for putting up some NS2 servers.