The Spark Editor

FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
Holy freaking yes!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're also getting ready to release our "Spark" level editor. It will everything you need to start making NS2 levels and also to get a closer look at the dynamic lighting, art and tech in the game. In November we will be sending e-mail with download instructions to everyone that has pre-ordered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was excited for this more than anything else...
So who else is going to try their map craft?

I hope they give us an overview of general gameplay mechanics, I figured if they gave us the editor with the alpha we could play the game, get the feel for it before we map for it, but I guess not. Unless of course we only have access to the design part of making, to make a shell of a level.

Still... just give me access to that engine already, I've craved long enough.

Comments

• MormyMormy Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734865:date=Oct 31 2009, 03:50 AM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 31 2009, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy freaking yes!

I hope they give us an overview of general gameplay mechanics, I figured if they gave us the editor with the alpha we could play the game, get the feel for it before we map for it, but I guess not. Unless of course we only have access to the design part of making, to make a shell of a level.

Still... just give me access to that engine already, I've craved long enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    your telling me i want to also
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Was curious about that too, or more specifically, if there was a way to enter the level itself without any weapon or even a player model, just to see how it would look like.
    But I don't think it will be too long before we get our hands on the editor (I hope).
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is the one reason I want NS2. I want that level editor!

I want to make maps ;__;
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734865:date=Oct 30 2009, 09:50 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 30 2009, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy freaking yes!

Still... just give me access to that engine already, I've craved long enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure the level design documents will have quite a bit to say about certain gameplay mechanics...We'll need lots of detail regarding the power grid, for example.

It would certainly be nice to have the alpha as well, but it's not entirely necessary to start out...as long as we have plenty of info in the design docs, such as sizes of all the units, jump height, time to run from a hive to marine start, etc., we should be fine (NS1 mapping guidelines were informative, I expect these will be as well)

Looking forward to the map tools release!
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    I'm considering getting my friends together and collaborating on making some (or a) sick map.

Should be fun :D!

Can't wait.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showuser=11158" target="_blank">Xuaxinodal</a> and I are already in some kind of talks to possibly try to get some sort of map out in time for release. Hopefully this new editor won't be too foreign to those of us who are familiar with GoldSrc Hammer / Source Hammer.

I am very much pumped to be able to see my lighting effects without a compile. There's definitely going to be a whole lot less time sitting around waiting for compiles to finish to see what your map looks like.

While I originally thought that we would be given the tools and alpha at the same time, I now think that we will have some kind of NS2TR allowing us to venture around our maps. And hopefully we will be given marine, skulk, and onos size models to play around with for dimension purposes.

Unfortunately it looks like content (meaning textures, props...) will be relatively limited to begin with, but alas I'm just itching to do some mapping again.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734886:date=Oct 31 2009, 12:18 AM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Oct 31 2009, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but alas I'm just itching to do some mapping again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For real for real.

I think there'll be a bunch of nice props to play around with. It'll surely be an inspiration for custom ones if everything doesn't suit our needs.

I've got kind of high hopes for 'spark' editor. I hope it's easy to play around with, I've always found hammer to be simple, but terribly stiff with the brush way of things. I hope its a mix between hammer and a modeling tool.

We'll see...

Edit> Its gonna be nice having an active mapping forum too. I'm still here because of the ns1's mapping forum, was the best place on the internet.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would hope that when we get the mapping tools, that you can move around the map's Environment's that you are creating to Evaluate how it is going . Just as you did after the compile of the NS1 maps. Even though all the lighting and other stuff is real time it's still nice to move around the environment . Maybe with a player model, say a marine and a skulk model, to see alien view and no game works, just to move around in it I think would be very help full.

Will be great not to compile, and the screen shots look very impressive.

This is why I pre-ordered.

Hopefully all these questions will be answered next month-----NOVEMBER---- when they say they will release them :)

Keep up the great work NS2 team!
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Worst timing ever for releasing tools! I just got into the flow of university again and this is going to ruin everything, damn NS being too addictive.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Hopefully not at november 30 :D
    Cant wait^^
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Can't wait, trying to incoperate building a map into my coursework this year giving me a good chunk of class time on it :D
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    I'm not very good when comes to modelling or otherwise building stuff in 3D on PC...

So here's to hoping that the builder is so simple, it's as easy to make maps out of Lego than it is in the engine! :D

Now imagination doesn't have to be limited by cack-handedness.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Hmm reading the posts on sparkfun.com, I realised that UW will probably get a cease and desist letter from SPARC international. THey're also taking sparkfun to court, because spark is phonetically the same as SPARC.

might be an idea to look in to this before commiting to spark as a name:

<a href="http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=300" target="_blank">http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=300</a>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    That legal challenge will fail.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I wonder how much you have to hand-hold DI.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    am gonna diffently start building a map collaborating wit a friend of mine as we currently are working on a left 4 dead 1&2 map.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have no idea if you will be able to 'walk around' but it should not really matter since the engine/editor are all in real time. There is no compiling (as that old dev video showed). So you will be able to see your level exactly as players will see it.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735056:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:36 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Oct 31 2009, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no idea if you will be able to 'walk around' but it should not really matter since the engine/editor are all in real time. There is no compiling (as that old dev video showed). So you will be able to see your level exactly as players will see it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's still a big difference between doing a fly-through of the level viewer and actually walking around in the level from the viewpoint of a player...the issue here is scaling, which is very important to make your environment look right. I spent quite a bit of time this past summer working on a Left 4 Dead campaign (unreleased) and there were many areas I had to do over because they didn't work in the game...For example, one of my maps ended up being about twice as long as the longest map in any official campaign, and I didn't really have a good indicator of how long it really was until I was in the game, and could measure the distance through the nav tools.

There's definitely a lot we can do with just the editor, but we will eventually need the capability to run around inside the level.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes, and if you are not in the player's perspective it will be harder to find the exploits or glitches on the map, and of course the scaling is also going to become a lot trickier.
    I guess discussing this over the weekend is a bit pointless though, probably have to wait until monday before they can answer.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The video footage seen previously shows the editor stepping in to a marines shoes.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734941:date=Oct 31 2009, 11:37 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Oct 31 2009, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Worst timing ever for releasing tools! I just got into the flow of university again and this is going to ruin everything, damn NS being too addictive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally, I hope I can get something sorted out once I get my paws on the tools though :D
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    I agree in that it's quite essential to be able to walk around in side the map, as a marine and as the various aliens just so you can get a feel for what works and to make absolutely sure everything is the right size. I've made a few source and unreal type maps and the only reason I can get them to be in the correct proportion is from walking around, seeing if a desk is too high or a door too wide.
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    I agree that it sucks we won't be able to actually get the feel of the game while making maps, but it's better than nothing. Right?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1734886:date=Oct 31 2009, 05:18 AM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Oct 31 2009, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately it looks like content (meaning textures, props...) will be relatively limited to begin with, but alas I'm just itching to do some mapping again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You'll get quite a reasonable amount of environment art with the editor.

Max has done a really amazing job with it. Once you get your head around it, it's really simple to use and you can get something looking great really quickly. Lighting in particular is a doddle thanks to the realtime editing.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735080:date=Oct 31 2009, 12:13 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 31 2009, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The video footage seen previously shows the editor stepping in to a marines shoes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been looking around, in which video cast did you spot this?

<!--quoteo(post=0:date='Oct 31 2009, 02:07 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ 'Oct 31 2009, 02:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lighting in particular is a doddle thanks to the realtime editing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about atmospheric lighting and all? Do you see the cool lighting effects like on the lighting video cast?

Guess we'll all find that out soon enough, but this has got me really thinking!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I'm a bit confused about what's going on with your quotes there, Evil_bOb1. If that's meant to be a question you're asking me, then yes, those lighting effects are in there, and they work in realtime.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735119:date=Oct 31 2009, 07:07 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 31 2009, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll get quite a reasonable amount of environment art with the editor.

Max has done a really amazing job with it. Once you get your head around it, it's really simple to use and you can get something looking great really quickly. Lighting in particular is a doddle thanks to the realtime editing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's exciting, my major gripe about Source is the lighting, sure it can look awesome... but only after hours of tweaking. Unreal improves on this but there's always that damn compile.

Also is the editor mainly prop orientated like Unreal, with the shell being brush in some instances, or can you include a lot of brushes to make up the majority of the level?
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735135:date=Oct 31 2009, 03:20 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 31 2009, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a bit confused about what's going on with your quotes there, Evil_bOb1. If that's meant to be a question you're asking me, then yes, those lighting effects are in there, and they work in realtime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh Yeah! haha it got a bit mixed up but you got the point! That's very nice to know.

[i've fix the quotes above for proper reading]
    Evil bob a couple show it, Videocast #5 from 2008 is a noticable one.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735119:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:07 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 31 2009, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once you get your head around it, it's really simple to use and you can get something looking great really quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but how easy/intuitive is it to optimize ?