Heavy alt fire

2»

Comments

• EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733845:date=Oct 24 2009, 02:54 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Oct 24 2009, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I'm presuming that the Aliens are getting a sniper rifle in return? UWE really need to step back and see this idea for what it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They already have a very weak sniper rifle in NS1. Parasite.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733845:date=Oct 25 2009, 05:54 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Oct 25 2009, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I'm presuming that the Aliens are getting a sniper rifle in return? UWE really need to step back and see this idea for what it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i have my doubts too, because from what we have heard, is that its going to be a big armored exo skeleton, twin mini guns for long range, and and insta kill punch for melee - perhaps the thing turns very slowly or something who knows, but right now it sounds about as balanced as a drunk elephant.

thats why i suggested electrifiy, the takes 2 seconds to warm up, so the skulk has notice to get away, and then stays active for say 5 -10 seconds, then has a longish cool down. (as someone else said) and its not an instant kill, unless the skulk is on low health.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733863:date=Oct 24 2009, 06:05 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Oct 24 2009, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah i have my doubts too, because from what we have heard, is that its going to be a big armored exo skeleton, twin mini guns for long range, and and insta kill punch for melee - perhaps the thing turns very slowly or something who knows, but right now it sounds about as balanced as a drunk elephant.

thats why i suggested electrifiy, the takes 2 seconds to warm up, so the skulk has notice to get away, and then stays active for say 5 -10 seconds, then has a longish cool down. (as someone else said) and its not an instant kill, unless the skulk is on low health.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The wording leads me to believe that IF the punch kills the skulk they'll go flying off, not if the skulk gets punched they die. If it was a one shot every time, yeah that'd be stupid. But if it's just a melee weapon replacement that hits harder but swings slower then it's probably fine.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Not to mention that if you had a super power suit and were being eated by a bitey dog, I'm sure you'd falcom pawnch it too! :D
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    huh, doesn't sound insanely overpowered, after all ns1 had a couple of insta kills on skulks like shotgun- no one cried bout that. and i dont think this is even instakill just a melee attack for heavy
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Yeah how are so many people getting all anal and thinking its "instant kill." Its ON kill. For example, any of you who have played Dystopia, the bolt gun is NOT a one hit kill weapon, but when you hit them with it for enough damage to kill them, (and if they're close enough to the wall) they get pinned to the wall.

Actually, its the same as people blowing up in TF2. One hit on someone at full health doesn't blow someone up. When you hit them (with say, a rocket, or pipe or whatever) and it does enough damage to kill them, THEN they blow up.

Its just a cool death animation and ragdoll physics. Is that really that hard to get? Come on people.

And if you're really that worried about it being op (even though its not one hit kill) just give it some sort of massive cooldown or penalty for missing, like someone suggested earlier.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like it would be a brush away with a bit more force behind it that looks cool when you kill something to me.

I also like the electrify idea, 5 seconds of use for 20 second cooldown for moderate damage when an alien hits you. If it were proximity based you could get all up in their chambers and use it for extra DPS though, which is an interesting idea. The only bad part is it's an automatic ability that wont have to be aimed. If it were a discharge that you had to selectively use which fired for about 0.1s and only hits aliens within ranged, and recharged at a set rate I'd like it better.

Maybe if lockdown still exists give the comm a choice to upgrade lockdown or electrify. Although that would lock them into a particular kind of gamestyle.
    <!--quoteo(post=1733924:date=Oct 25 2009, 09:30 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Oct 25 2009, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like it would be a brush away with a bit more force behind it that looks cool when you kill something to me.

I also like the electrify idea, 5 seconds of use for 20 second cooldown for moderate damage when an alien hits you. If it were proximity based you could get all up in their chambers and use it for extra DPS though, which is an interesting idea.

Maybe if lockdown still exists give the comm a choice to upgrade lockdown or electrify. Although that would lock them into a particular kind of gamestyle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess now that I think about it, electrify for the heavies could be an alternative Humiliating Total Domination finishing off for the marines on the hive, just having 10 heavies standing around the hive electrified, instead of electric TFs. hahaha...evil
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I'd love to be able to trigger electrify in response to a skulk leaping at me :) BZAAAAAAP!
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733939:date=Oct 25 2009, 02:29 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 25 2009, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to be able to trigger electrify in response to a skulk leaping at me :) BZAAAAAAP!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As if you need to be very afraid of skulks in HA to begin with D:
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Electrified heavy punches. Skulk turns into a cloud of ashes when he hits the wall.
    <!--quoteo(post=1733943:date=Oct 25 2009, 08:37 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Oct 25 2009, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As if you need to be very afraid of skulks in HA to begin with D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't know if exo suits will add extra armor yet, they might just be mobile gun platforms.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733958:date=Oct 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 25 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don't know if exo suits will add extra armor yet, they might just be mobile gun platforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok, let me rephrase. I don't remember HMG marines being very afraid of skulks
    <!--quoteo(post=1734003:date=Oct 25 2009, 07:17 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Oct 25 2009, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, let me rephrase. I don't remember HMG marines being very afraid of skulks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In lockdown mode however, a single marine wouldn't be able to defend in all directions, so this could still be a useful trick. You've got to think about the whole picture here (I know we don't have all the details about the exo-marine, but based on what we've been told so far it might make a good alt fire. If something we don't know makes it a bad idea, then it's a bad idea.)
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    uh... Falcon punch > zappy zappy. electrify is terrible anyways the time it takes to deploy you will lose considerable armor (suggested 2-3 seconds?) and then your open to spittage by gorges.

I am bias towards FALCON PUNCH because its awesome. infact if they add this in im gonna go heavy armor and just get a falcon punch soundboard and play it every time i splat a skulk on a wall
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733598:date=Oct 23 2009, 07:10 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Oct 23 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Makes me think of the heavy punch from Dystopia, which I think they did quite well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dislike it just because this was the first thing to spring to my mind. Moreso because I think it'd feel too ripped-off.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    Same thing from Fallout 3! Fisto weapon! It's a hydrolic powered punching machine .... yeaaaaaaaaaaa

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9Nplrtlvk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9Nplrtlvk</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1734336:date=Oct 29 2009, 01:28 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Oct 29 2009, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dislike it just because this was the first thing to spring to my mind. Moreso because I think it'd feel too ripped-off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see whats so ripped-off about a mechanized thing punching something with its big metal hydrolic fist? sounds pretty logical to me, done before or not.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733860:date=Oct 24 2009, 10:38 PM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Oct 24 2009, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They already have a very weak sniper rifle in NS1. Parasite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The 'sniper' motif is a high-powered, long-range weapon that trades this punch for mobility, field of view and rate of fire. A very weak sniper rifle is not a 'sniper rifle' in the same way a slow firing minigun is not a 'minigun'.

My point is that by giving the Marines a supremely powerful close-combat ability you negate the general close-combat dominance that Aliens have. If it requires a lot of skill to use it's immaterial. You have to balance games on extreme possibilities not on averages, because when even a small percentage of players get really good at using an overpowered ability it breaks the game for everyone.
    <!--quoteo(post=1734457:date=Oct 29 2009, 06:56 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Oct 29 2009, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My point is that by giving the Marines a supremely powerful close-combat ability you negate the general close-combat dominance that Aliens have. If it requires a lot of skill to use it's immaterial. You have to balance games on extreme possibilities not on averages, because when even a small percentage of players get really good at using an overpowered ability it breaks the game for everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends on how powerful they decide to make it. There needs to be some sort of attack that every class can fall back on when ammo runs out, so a melee secondary fire makes sense for the exo-suit, assuming the dual miniguns are the only weapon they can use (which seems to be the case)

I don't expect this will be much stronger than other melee attacks marines will have (and I doubt it will be balanced so that marines will use this over their guns in most cases). It just has the added perk that if you land a killing blow with it, the skulk goes straight to ragdoll.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Looks at topic name... Feels a deep sense of hatred growing.

Looks at topic note... Pleasantly surprised, and laughs.

By the time the topic opens up... Would like to see it implemented.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734477:date=Oct 29 2009, 11:34 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 29 2009, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends on how powerful they decide to make it. There needs to be some sort of attack that every class can fall back on when ammo runs out, so a melee secondary fire makes sense for the exo-suit, assuming the dual miniguns are the only weapon they can use (which seems to be the case)

I don't expect this will be much stronger than other melee attacks marines will have (and I doubt it will be balanced so that marines will use this over their guns in most cases). It just has the added perk that if you land a killing blow with it, the skulk goes straight to ragdoll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

It's so scary how close your post is to what I had in mind to write. Adding...

First reaction was eww. But then I realized that the EXO needs to have a last ditch out-of-ammo attack. And the melee Falcon Punch fit that purpose. However I also like the idea of an electrical attack but the suggested implementations(with the charging and cool downs) do not really sound very good.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    end game justice- onos gets to eat the commander, heavies get to falcon punch the last remaining gorge. I love the idea, do it.