Dragon Age: Origins

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Or react the way you think. If you're pretty sure he's a blood mage (I know nothing about the game, but I understand that's a bad thing), turn him in.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736314:date=Nov 5 2009, 03:58 AM:name=Retales)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Retales @ Nov 5 2009, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh noes, setback! I checked the <a href="http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/" target="_blank">Can You Run It</a> test for Dragon Age. I pass all the minimums except:

Minimum: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4 GHz or greater (Vista/7 requires 1.6 GHz or greater), AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater
    You Have: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz

Now I'm a nubcaek when it comes to reading that cryptic processor text. The CPU Speed- test does pass, but I realize it's not only about teh megahurtz. Any idea if I could even run the thing in the first place?

That's on my age-old tabletop puter, since my <a href="http://www.afterdawn.com/hardware/product_details.cfm/3004/acer_travelmate_5520g-402g16" target="_blank">laptop</a> is broken and being fixed atm. I think the laptop would pass all the minimums at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Looks like the Acer should pass.

Turns out having spare Cores and more cache in the Core 2 vs Pentium 4 makes a big difference. Also, a pipeline of less fail.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736279:date=Nov 5 2009, 12:01 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Nov 5 2009, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the moral ambiguity... I just encountered a quest early in the mage storyline and I'm taking forever trying to decide what the "right" choice is... <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Jowan is suspected of being a blood mage and is going to be made tranquil, and he wants my help escaping. It seems to me that all parties are equally suspicious, and I don't know who to side with. I talked to the first enchanter about it, and he said that templar dude has evidence and an eyewitness to Jowan's blood magic, and I think it would be a reasonable request for me to ask to see this proof before I betray my friend, but that's not a dialog option :( Since helping Jowan escape *seems* like the "good" thing to do, and since Bioware is playing up the whole ambiguity thing, I bet if you help him escape it turns out he really is a blood mage later and does unspeakable acts or something -_- I could dig up spoilers on the web but I kind of want to avoid doing that for a change</span><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that makes the game pretty interesting and I'm eager to start a new character to try the other possibilities. Just remember every choice you make may come back in your face sooner or later. I know many games already promised that, but your choices ended up not influencing the game very much. Well I feel it's different this time around with Dragon Age. It's also a good thing to get to know your characters, just so you don't screw up <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>and end up killing someone they really loved for example</span>. Just as a general advice :p I'd like to know how the situation <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>with Jowan</span> evolved, if you don't mind.

I also like how you're not forced to take companions you don't really want. In Mass Effect for example, even if you don't want someone to come along, there's always a way someone will say "well he could maybe eventually be useful, I don't know". In Dragon Age, you can just kill them or say no and it seems they won't bother you afterwards.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736400:date=Nov 5 2009, 02:59 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Nov 5 2009, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to know how the situation <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>with Jowan</span> evolved, if you don't mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>turns out he was, unsurprisingly, a blood mage, but not an evil person, just scared. I helped catch him, but it also seemed like he was going to get caught even if I sided with him. He used blood magic to escape. I'll probably run into him again later, and he'll probably be an enemy since I betrayed him... ironically, I was hoping to eventually become a blood mage myself, and I wonder if you have to help him at the beginning of the game for that to ultimately happen... if so, oh well.</span>

Still having plenty of fun with this game, though I haven't had enough free time for any marathon play sessions yet. I hope to play a good chunk this weekend
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Loving it so far.. I'm quite a bit into the main quest. It really delivers many of the characteristics that made previous bioware rpgs great. I've done two large quest chains now that lead to some great 'boss encounters'.
    So far this game knocks NWN on it's ass, and is up there with bg2 for awesomeness :D

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>
    I wasn't going to waste time worrying about Jowan, there are much more important things to see to, so I worked with the First Enchanter to catch him in the act with his forbidden lover to use the situation for political ammo against the chantry. I'll not comment on any further developments in the Jowan plotline, other than to say that you'll definitely have further opportunities to deal with him.

The best part of the game so far has been the situations in the fade, a sort of virtual shadow world where the rules change quite a bit.
    </span>
    Would you recommend this game to someone who thought the combat in both Baldur's Gate 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 was a chore?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736604:date=Nov 6 2009, 11:21 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 6 2009, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you recommend this game to someone who thought the combat in both Baldur's Gate 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 was a chore?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, you can still pause the game and all, as always, but they've introduced "tactics" which really helps if you don't want to have to babysit your party and pause every two seconds. These "tactics" are nothing more than configurable AI behavior, but so far it works very well for me. I can't really find the words to describe it, so here are some examples of what you do:

If [Self Health < 25%] --> [Drink potion]
    If [Enemy @ medium or long range] --> [Switch to ranged weapon]
    If [Ally RandomMage attacked by melee] --> [Defend RandomMage]

and so on. It's really flexible and the AI doesn't freak out too often. The only issue I have is my rogue sometimes getting stuck in a "Switch to melee" --> "Switch to ranged" loop, but other than that, I'm surprised by how well it works. At first, you can set four of these "tactics", but you can spend additional skill or talent points (don't remember the terminology) to get some extra "tactic slots".

However, I find that you'll end up pretty much always controlling your mage since he/she won't cast spell by him/herself (at least I don't think so) unless you specify "tactics" for them like "If [Enemy: Any]--> [Cast This]", and your mage will end up with quite a few spells, way more than you can fit in your tactic slots. And since these spells kick butt, you'll want them disintegrating your enemies.

Combat is a lot faster than in NWN since the characters don't spend 2-3 seconds every round just staring at each other and there's often a lot going on during a fight, so you'll still be pausing quite a bit and making sure no one gets flanked and such. The casting of spells and abilities are limited by "cooldowns" instead of having a spellbook, and you don't have to choose which spells you want to have ready as they are all available at all time.

Hmm it's getting late, I hope that post isn't too much of a mess..

Some more spoiler discussion:
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>As pulz said, you haven't seen the last of him, which is often the case when you spare someone's life or refuse to face someone, they have the tendency to find their ways back to you. Actually, I misunderstood your first post about Jowan since I was playing a warrior. I started a mage yesterday and I had quite a surprise when I saw him in the tower. I was like: OH - MY - GOD! It killed the immersion a little, but still, everything became clear, heh</span>
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    If puzl vouches for it I'll grab it. BG was before my time, NWN1 was medicore, NWN2 was dire, KotoR 1 was superb, 2 was ok, Mass Effect over-rated.

This one looks the business, though.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732445:date=Oct 16 2009, 11:17 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Oct 16 2009, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm considering picking it up on steam, given the fact that the US dollar is doing so poorly of late.

I loved Mass Effect to bits, and I think I'm in the mood for another RPG. Plus the <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/download_52074.shtml" target="_blank">Sacred Ashes</a> trailer blew my socks right through my floor.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The first shot in that trailer is pretty much ripped off of that one in LoTR (going across the rocky bridge). Also the dragon fight at the end was a bit of a letdown compared to all the intricate fighting prior to it. Dragon needed more screentime to show off just how powerful it should be, it went down too easy.

The youtube vids sell it a lot more. The NPC behavioural logic system looks much to my liking. :)

So does this get the NSOT thumbs up?

/Late to the thread
    the combat is not really a chore like most games like this, mostly because your health and mana regenerate pretty quickly outside battle, and your mana even goes up at a reasonable rate in battle.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    edited November 2009
    I really want to pick this up. I was the hugest fan of baldur's gate 2 (shame on people for dissin it), but I think I'm gonna buy mass effect first (7,5$ on steam), then wait until the prices on origins comes down.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736645:date=Nov 7 2009, 10:11 AM:name=Epidemic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Epidemic @ Nov 7 2009, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really want to pick this up. I was the hugest fan of baldur's gate 2 (shame on people for dissin it), but I think I'm gonna buy mass effect first (7,5$ on steam), then wait until the prices on origins comes down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, if you haven't played mass effect yet, that's a good call. excellent price for such an excellent game.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    This game looks pretty amazing, it might actually be the first PC game I buy this year.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    The "tactics" system sounds a lot like the FF12 Gambit system.

Good to see people are using a system that makes sense. Sure you can still manually tweak stuff, but not having to babysit your allies every move helps streamline for the more casual game.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    How do you guys feel about the day one <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6232117.html" target="_blank">DLC</a> that was released? Unless I read wrong there's a total of three downloadable quests, totaling an additional $29.

I can't help but wonder if this was content that was originally planned to be with the game, as it was definitely produced in time, but was pulled from the game and monetized just to make that extra buck. If this is a hit for bioware, we may see other developers/publishers doing the same.

Does Dragon Age feel like a complete game without the DLC?
    Well, there's a guy in a camp somewhere who sends you on some quest except oh wait you didn't buy this DLC so maybe you should do that so you can do his quest. Or at least that's how <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/" target="_blank">Penny Arcade put it.</a>
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736684:date=Nov 8 2009, 12:10 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 8 2009, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you guys feel about the day one <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6232117.html" target="_blank">DLC</a> that was released? Unless I read wrong there's a total of three downloadable quests, totaling an additional $29.

I can't help but wonder if this was content that was originally planned to be with the game, as it was definitely produced in time, but was pulled from the game and monetized just to make that extra buck. If this is a hit for bioware, we may see other developers/publishers doing the same.

Does Dragon Age feel like a complete game without the DLC?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Sounds like a way to 'carrot' legit PC buyers (or will it?) as it is free on PC, but 'stick' the console buyers. Maybe it's an issue with space on the disc, I don't know. I'd be a little bit peeved if I bought on console, though, because I'd effectively be paying for the consoles foibles/Microsoft's dastardly bandwidth markup.
    Not true, the two pieces of DLC that are free are free for all three versions.
    Ah yeah, so it's just a carrot for legitimate purchasers and a stick for pirates/2nd-hand buyers/borrowers, but not really a stick for pirates because they'll find a way around it.

More understandable, and not a terrible idea really. Raking back cash from the 2nd-hand market by making part of the game only available to the original buyer and charging DLC for the full content on 2nd-hand purchases for those who really want it.
    edited November 2009
    Does anybody remember those "you wouldn't steal a car" antipiracy ads that only people who bought movies ever saw? It's delicious irony that the metaphor is completely disregarded now. I mean, you wouldn't combat second-hand sales of your cars, would you?
    <!--quoteo(post=1736679:date=Nov 7 2009, 06:31 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 7 2009, 06:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "tactics" system sounds a lot like the FF12 Gambit system.

Good to see people are using a system that makes sense. Sure you can still manually tweak stuff, but not having to babysit your allies every move helps streamline for the more casual game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, it's pretty much exactly like that, and I love it - the only thing that frustrates me is how few slots you get. I'm still only like 20% done with the game, but my characters all have like 6 abilities each so far, and only like 3 gambit slots... and when they level up, I have to choose between giving them useful things like lockpicking or potion making, or better AI -_- I don't know why remembering one more tactic in battle should take as much skill training as learning how to brew potions or pick locks...

also, the game Torchlight has made me realize, why can't game developers figure out that certain gameplay elements are not fun? why do I have to play the *entire game* holding the Tab key to highlight interactable objects? why can't it just be a toggle or setting like in Torchlight? Why do I also have to spend half the game worrying about when I'm going to encounter a merchant to unload my overflowing inventory? The darkspawn may take over the world, and all I'm worried about is where I can possibly sell all my extra iron swords.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736725:date=Nov 8 2009, 04:28 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 8 2009, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anybody remember those "you wouldn't steal a car" antipiracy ads that only people who bought movies ever saw? It's delicious irony that the metaphor is completely disregarded now. I mean, you wouldn't combat second-hand sales of your cars, would you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was gobsmacked when that ad first started showing up. About halfway through it you see "PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM".

Bet that was made in America!
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736725:date=Nov 8 2009, 03:28 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 8 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anybody remember those "you wouldn't steal a car" antipiracy ads that only people who bought movies ever saw? It's delicious irony that the metaphor is completely disregarded now. I mean, you wouldn't combat second-hand sales of your cars, would you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->A 2nd-hand car is an inferior product because it deteriorates through use. A DVD (if kept well) can be exactly the same new as used. The equivalent would be paying for a complete tune-up and new parts fitted, you can't expect that a second-hand car be in perfect condition.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736743:date=Nov 8 2009, 08:09 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Nov 8 2009, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A 2nd-hand car is an inferior product because it deteriorates through use. A DVD (if kept well) can be exactly the same new as used. The equivalent would be paying for a complete tune-up and new parts fitted, you can't expect that a second-hand car be in perfect condition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The day a car is bought is the worst day in its entire life. In one instant, with a simple change of ownership from dealer to customer, it loses 20% in value. Does the carburettor suddenly clog? Does the gearbox suffer years of wear and tear in an instant? Does the frame rust and lose stiffness? Does the suspension wear out? I'd argue that this car, on day one, is as identical to the day it rolled out of the factory as the used game with a single dog-ear on the manual and no cellophane around the box is to the brand-new one. And yet both have lost a significant percentage of their value in an instant.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    DLC on the PC, otherwise known as "Patches you get from TPB".

I'll consider picking this up in a while, maybe once there's a sale on steam or something.

--Scythe--
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736743:date=Nov 8 2009, 09:09 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Nov 8 2009, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A DVD (if kept well) can be exactly the same new as used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That applies to alot of stuff, like books, artworks, movies, music, ...
    Is there anything about software that justifies a special reselling policy? I don't think so.

On topic:
    I loved Baldur's Gate I + II, but my PC is too old for Dragon Age. :(
    I'm definitly gonna get this when I have a better machine.
    For those interested: the first patch is already released, but if you're an hardcore player, you might want to reconsider applying it since they make Easy and Normal mode easier:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->• fixed potential corruption of character statistics
    • fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable Character Creator
    • fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator
    • <b>made Easy difficulty easier</b>
    • <b>slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty</b>
    • fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays

<a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/95685-dragon-age-origins-v101a-patch-released.html" target="_blank">http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/95685-drag...h-released.html</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've found "normal" quite challenging as a warrior, but my mage has it real easy so far (no patch)..
    <!--quoteo(post=1736848:date=Nov 9 2009, 10:02 AM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Nov 9 2009, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For those interested: the first patch is already released, but if you're an hardcore player, you might want to reconsider applying it since they make Easy and Normal mode easier:

I've found "normal" quite challenging as a warrior, but my mage has it real easy so far (no patch)..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard reports that the console version is much easier and "arcadey" hack-and-slash. So, perhaps they're dumbing down the Windows version to make it manageable/even with the console version?

Our elitism has backfired!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I've heard that there are certain fights on Easy/Normal that are ridiculously hard compared to the rest of the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736863:date=Nov 9 2009, 02:59 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Nov 9 2009, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard that there are certain fights on Easy/Normal that are ridiculously hard compared to the rest of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, the difficulty isn't always consistent. Sometimes you can take down half a dozen demons storming at you without problem, but a couple of bandit will kill you in a matter of seconds... The enemy units seem well balanced, but when they throw 10, 15, 20 of those at you, you just end up getting overwhelmed. I think that's the main problem. That, and the semi-linearity of the game, which does not unlock all areas for you to visit from the start (which is good), but doesn't seem to scale the strength of your opponents (which is less good), so your level 7 character can end up in front of a dragon... Then again, this can be avoided if you think a little before adventuring, but there are some strong bosses you just can't ignore, so you'll end up reloading your last save a couple of times.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard reports that the console version is much easier and "arcadey" hack-and-slash. So, perhaps they're dumbing down the Windows version to make it manageable/even with the console version?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I sure hope the game is easier on a console, because I just can't imagine how well you can control your party without hotkeys and such. Then again, I'm not a console guy, so... I've heard they're making it easier because pretty much all review mentioned how hard it was even on low difficulty.