Will the official release maps contain secret readyrooms?

snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Crouch, hop, hop, spin, look up hit 'E'</div>Teaching new players how to get into the secret rooms was one of the highlights of NS1. Can we look forward to finding similar cookies?

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Depends on the mapper I guess?
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Ok I'll be the first to say it: SOMEBODY HAS TO BRING BACK GOATSE
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I'd like to add them, sure.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    How could they not?
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Wouldn't be svencoop if they didn't... er i mean ns. :P
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732214:date=Oct 14 2009, 12:41 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Oct 14 2009, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok I'll be the first to say it: SOMEBODY HAS TO BRING BACK GOATSE<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one needs to bring back goatse...

Anyway, while playing NS1 again I can get into the hidden room from the ready room on Hera and Bast, anyone have the instructions for Eclipse and Nancy? I don't think the new Nancy works like the old one.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Hera doesnt have one any more unless youre playing an old version. Nancy you have to use the wall next to the smaller box behind the bar and then another right in front of where you face when you spawn through. Ayumi has catbus by using the wall at the end of the grey path and co_sava has goatse.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732235:date=Oct 14 2009, 09:56 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Oct 14 2009, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ayumi has catbus by using the wall at the end of the grey path<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Firstly, eh? That's a bit vague. Isn't it run-jump off the ledge towards the credit roll on the left hand side and use till a button is pressed?

And secondly, what about BMX Gorge in there? Any idea how to use that? Only saw a VH2 admin do it once.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    ahh secret rooms, the best things ever invented.

They better be hard as ###### to find, impossible to find by cheating (going on map editor or something) and awesome goodies inside!
    <!--quoteo(post=1732236:date=Oct 14 2009, 10:02 PM:name=MikeyTWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeyTWolf @ Oct 14 2009, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Firstly, eh? That's a bit vague. Isn't it run-jump off the ledge towards the credit roll on the left hand side and use till a button is pressed?

And secondly, what about BMX Gorge in there? Any idea how to use that? Only saw a VH2 admin do it once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea it was the credit roll, the grey wall at the other end of the path is for the "Thanks for playing" with some cuddly toys thing that im not even sure is in there any more.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    The puppet theater, yeah. Good times.

Nancy rave got old though.
  • friedricekidfriedricekid Join Date: 2009-09-29 Member: 68909Members
    Can someone please enlighten me on what the secret ready rooms are/is?

I played NS1 years ago and am really excited for NS2. But I never played NS1 enough to know all the intricacies or secrets... or maybe i forgot.
    Am curious to know what these easter eggs are, did they serve any purposes... etc...
  • TullTull Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33443Members
    The secret rooms where places you could get to only from the ready room (not while in actuall play). They brought nothing to gameplay. No advantages or anything. Just for fun. One was a theater with moving pictures of totoro, one was a rave room with blinking lights. Stuff like that.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the wonderous secret rooms.

NS2 MUST HAVE THEM!!!!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Probably will occur if mappers feel like doing them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1732315:date=Oct 15 2009, 10:07 AM:name=Tull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tull @ Oct 15 2009, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The secret rooms where places you could get to only from the ready room (not while in actuall play). They brought nothing to gameplay. No advantages or anything. Just for fun. One was a theater with moving pictures of totoro, one was a rave room with blinking lights. Stuff like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I kind of had a double meaning to the thread (hence the description and laughing icon) both 'easter eggs' and a trick.

Yes there were actual hidden rooms, ie the catbus theater, that most players didn't know about and actually existed. There was also the joke hidden rooms that were used for humor that relied on a certain easy trick and only worked if the attention was kept on the player.

For example in Ayumi the run and jump at credits thing was actually a joke as far as I'm aware (haven't opened the map in an editor to check) but that wasn't one of the ones I remember as I always saw it used as in the example below. What you would do is get the new players attention and direct them to your 'secret access spot' that did not have any spawning locations with their back to the rest of the room. You would give them some kind of difficult directions to follow and then show them how it worked. For example:

Me: "To get into the room you have to start right here, then while facing the wall crouch, jump, jump, spin around and hit E while facing the computer terminal. It may take come practice but I'll show you how it works."
    I do the pattern, then hit F4, teleporting me to one of the readyroom spawns and the player is looking the other way.
    The other player tries several times without any luck. Any other player who previously fell for the trick tries to assist with contradictory tips.

This was all done in good fun and most of the time people caught on pretty quick. Those that didn't had it explained and a new generation joined in the joke. I saw this first about a month after the game came out but I can't claim credit for it.

So really I'm mainly wondering if this trick will still be possible in NS2 if it has readyrooms and a hotkey to join it.

Side note: I saw someone on G4B2S last night refer to turrets as 'turrents' and not as a joke which was inexplicably common in NS1's heyday. I still don't get that...
    I forgot all about the big cheese on ns_metal and getting out onto the flight pad in the actual map via the glass ceiling at the spectate bit of the RR!
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    There is a few youtube videos of all the secret rooms if you are curious. Search readyroom secret or something.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    When people gave me insanely complex instructions I just thought they were stupid rather than deceptive, lol...
    Which map had the cockpit that could be glitched through to get outside the map? that was funny once ;)
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732472:date=Oct 16 2009, 11:39 AM:name=kast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kast @ Oct 16 2009, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bast marine start<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cockpit makes me think nancy, rather than bast.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Nancy was the one with the escapable marine start. I think you have a skillful commander you can also escape lost.
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    are you out of your mind?!!

secret rooms consist at least 50% of NS
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Would they be secret if they tell you now ?^^