Development Blog Update - Anatomy of a Scene

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Anatomy of a Scene here

Comments

• c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    so cool.. i wanna see 'em movin'!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Looked cool I suppose.

I looked really hard but couldn't see a Lerk in the video... Hmm I'll keep searching.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Not nearly as meaty as I had hoped, but still very shiny :p
  • psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
    It was cool I suppose, but I was expecting something completely different.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    You guys are a tough crowd :P I thoroughly enjoyed it and tried my best to keep track of the subtle changes that occurred as each facet of the image was put in place. My favorite was the specular map because it made the marines look like angry smurfs! :D
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    Cool to see. I kind of like the look of it without the atmospheric dust better.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    And that is what is used <i>in-game</i>?

*dies*

And how exactly am I going to afford getting the right computer for all that?
    I'm still amazed, thanks for the insight, the amount of rendering needed to get the final result is staggering to say the least.

Or well at least I think so >_>
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It always amazes me how much is done in screen-space these days. Do you expect those of us with older graphics cards to need to turn off some of these buffers for performance reasons?
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Very nice! It's nice to see all the work put together for one single picture :P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Never heard of gloss maps before, interesting idea, most games just use one predefined glossiness as far as I know, being able to blend between blinn and lambert and whatnot using a texture might be cool.

Glad you're using AO too, it adds so much to a scene without requiring any more effort from the designer.
  • EpiclandingEpiclanding Join Date: 2009-09-30 Member: 68913Members
    I liked it, but i was hoping too see some animations
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Really interesting. I always enjoy Max posts. I'm curious about the comparative expense of each pass. Ambient Occlusion <i>really</i> sells the lighting but does it cost a lot of time? What about the atmospheric pass? Very impressive anyway.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    There isn't really enough time available any more to do any vidcasts or podcasts I don't think. With the amount max is having to code at the moment I'm surprised he isn't dead.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed this update. Thanks for the "under-the-kimono" showing Max.

I don't think the computer requirements are as beefy as some of you think. If you can run Source (TF2 & L4D) well enough then you can run this well enough. Source Orange Box has a bunch of subtle layers too, but it scales well. I'm guessing this engine is going to be very scalable, but with all of this nice layers it will have long legs :)

Actually this engine does seem to have MORE better effects, but it could also be more optimized as it is newer.

QUESTION: Can the Atmospheric effects be used to create really foggy/dusty rooms where your flashlight would emit a subtle beam and cone effect? And can this dense fog affect draw distance? If not is there another effect that does?

EDIT
    <!--quoteo(post=1730353:date=Oct 2 2009, 07:16 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 2 2009, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There isn't really enough time available any more to do any vidcasts or podcasts I don't think. With the amount max is having to code at the moment I'm surprised he isn't dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yeah, pls take care of him. He's too important! If someone comes in to take a hostage... don't give them Max! Give them some artist or something ;P
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730353:date=Oct 3 2009, 12:16 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 3 2009, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There isn't really enough time available any more to do any vidcasts or podcasts I don't think. With the amount max is having to code at the moment I'm surprised he isn't dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Working hard for a Halloween alpha.

/falsehope :p
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1730353:date=Oct 3 2009, 02:16 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Oct 3 2009, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There isn't really enough time available any more to do any vidcasts or podcasts I don't think. With the amount max is having to code at the moment I'm surprised he isn't dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Chosen One can't die.

Anyway, this was very interesting, thanks a lot.

I'm also curious, which of these details can be tuned or disabled depending on the PC and the "pro-ness" of the player to get an advantage.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Omg thats awesome..
    But what am I going to do?

Should I get another Geforce 260 GTX just because I can, even though I know the one I already have is gonna be more than enough? :O
  • Nima_Nima_ Join Date: 2007-08-30 Member: 62083Members
    Looking awesome Max, always an inspiration!
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I wonder what the second programming is doing. Hopefully that will remove some pressure from Max.
  • yEnSyEnS Join Date: 2003-06-26 Member: 17722Members
    Aww ######, that's amazing.

I am one of the "eh that's a render" people. Really good work!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    All the crazy post processing that's done on the renders is probably what makes the engine so damn scalable. I would imagine its very easy to just tell it to do less lighting passes with huge performance gains for lower end PCs. Oh and have you considered chemical *ahem* help for Max? I've heard that methamphetamine can keep you up for days!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1730381:date=Oct 2 2009, 05:37 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 2 2009, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All the crazy post processing that's done on the renders is probably what makes the engine so damn scalable. I would imagine its very easy to just tell it to do less lighting passes with huge performance gains for lower end PCs. Oh and have you considered chemical *ahem* help for Max? I've heard that methamphetamine can keep you up for days!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I imagine you would crash pretty hard / burn out though, so long term productivity would actually be lower.

I also find it amazing how much can be done in real-time. It's amazing to me that you can get it working so fast considering how slow the render I'm writing for my gfx class goes, and considering the sheer number of calculations being done for these lighting effects.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Keep up the hard work boys, these updates are sustaining me... just
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    so that is or isn't what a player will experience when playing the game? You mentioned a "rendering system" in your engine so I assume this is different from what players will see in the actual game.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730390:date=Oct 3 2009, 12:28 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 3 2009, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so that is or isn't what a player will experience when playing the game? You mentioned a "rendering system" in your engine so I assume this is different from what players will see in the actual game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actual in game. Rendering is getting things appear in the game. Pre-rendering is the thing you are thinking that we see in promo shots of games.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Very good... Thumbs up.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    And all this is repeated +-40 times a second? Wow
    Great work, Max.