ABLEns going eSport - hiring talented people.

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1729992:date=Oct 1 2009, 11:56 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Oct 1 2009, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove custom maps, remove 90% of plugins, remove 50% of admins. It took you guys like a year to see fishbone was abusive, banning people for having an opinion, and i guess it takes you another year to finally see how bad joojamoi is too. It's sad how they both have poisoned your server for years. GISP it's nothing personal, don't take offense, you just need to reconstruct you staff and tweak the server some more. I have no issues with you, or your -head- admins. I'm not really gonna discuss this anymore. Thank you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no one is forcing you to play on their (future) servers. As much as I hate customer plugs/maps/###### it's their server and if people want to play with all that custom crap then that's up to them.

If you want to be known as a good community, I would definitely be focusing on a more vanilla approach. That's just my opinion though.
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Personaly I like the server and none of the plugins are very disruptive of the classic NS. Actually more likely it improves it. I could agree with the custom maps(namely siege maps) but everyone has their own tastes. I have never had a problem with joojamoi but I don't see him enough to judge there, really.

Point is that you can flame ABLE as much as you want but it's still your oppinion and that doesn't make it fact. That's all I reacted on, but if I misinterpreted you I apologize.

Anyhow, I think this is a good initiative and I do hope you get something going, GISP. Yes, the spelling could be improved but I don't really see what the problem is when it comes to a place such as this. I think people should be more relaxed on these forums rather than jump at any chance to ridicule someone.

Good luck, ABLEns
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1730094:date=Oct 2 2009, 12:19 AM:name=Metro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metro @ Oct 2 2009, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personaly I like the server and none of the plugins are very disruptive of the classic NS. Actually more likely it improves it. I could agree with the custom maps(namely siege maps) but everyone has their own tastes. I have never had a problem with joojamoi but I don't see him enough to judge there, really.
    Point is that you can flame ABLE as much as you want but it's still your oppinion and that doesn't make it fact. That's all I reacted on, but if I misinterpreted you I apologize.
    Anyhow, I think this is a good initiative and I do hope you get something going, GISP. Yes, the spelling could be improved but I don't really see what the problem is when it comes to a place such as this. I think people should be more relaxed on these forums rather than jump at any chance to ridicule someone.
    Good luck, ABLEns<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the kinds words, its nice to see theres atleast one who dosnt flame my abbilities to spell, and understood the message.

... Anyways.. Im open for ideas on how to promote NS2 and NS2 as a eSport.
    Any surgestions are wellcome :)
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    edited October 2009
    We need custom maps else all the "comp" player can't complain about them.

Btw to each their own, and to me the most.

I suggest you get more people to buy ns2, more people playing more possible competiteve players ;)
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729984:date=Oct 1 2009, 03:49 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 1 2009, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this has fail written all over it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/sign
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1730277:date=Oct 2 2009, 12:00 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 2 2009, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the kinds words, its nice to see theres atleast one who dosnt flame my abbilities to spell<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not like we're saying you're ugly or insulting you for not being an Olympic swimmer. Spelling is something that anyone can do, regardless of actual ability.

Just use a spell checker. That's all we ask.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    For anyone to take you seriously you need to either create a second competitive server or remove all the ludicrous siege- and funmaps from your NS mapcycle.

I was on ABLE yesterday and a mapvote with 8 options came up where Lucid was the only sane choice (and the next sanest choice after that was Bast - I kid you not). What did the ABLE community vote for? Bast. Your community doesn't understand or have any interest in competitive NS because you don't understand it. Your votemap options prove this.

If you want to prove you can gear ABLE up for eSports, you can either start now with what you have or you can wait until NS2 comes out and convince a fresh set of eyes that you mean business. At the moment anyone with vaguely competitive tendencies who's actually played on ABLE knows to steer clear of it. For a start, you could pick a time or day for the server to go into 'competitive mode', where all the stupid plugins and mapvotes get changed to something competitive players might respect. If you show you can understand competitive play, maybe people will sit up and listen. But I think this late in the day it will be difficult to change the minds of regular Euro NS players without creating a whole new server that is distinct from the main ABLE server.

As for the admins, I've seen crappy admins on ABLE, NSTALENT and even (back in the day) YoClan. Ironically enough, I was temp-banned from NSTALENT for complaining that the admin had changed to a siegemap! (this for a semi-serious community) Every community gets an irrational admin who lets the power get to their heads once in a while.

As for the spellchecker issue: it takes more effort to run an eSports community/clan than to use a spellchecker. Prove you're up to the former task by accomplishing the second.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    A lot of the forum go'ers won't play NS as much as they used to or at all anymore, I'm one of those and the reasons Crispy listed are a huge contributing factor.

I want players that know how to and want to play a 'real' map, not spam fest on a siege map. I want to see admins who don't go with their friends and are "lol, you hate on him I ban you" and "tiem for siege map so all bacon!" or some rubbish.

You've scoped out your target demographic, the competitive scene. Now you have to research some in to the balancing of your public servers for those competitive players, casual players and fun players.

Competitive players are those that will want to grind and grind the original and competitive maps. These guys will be your commanders, your one man teams etc. Casual players on the whole will want to play the game properly, won't have the same skill set as your competitive players but won't sod it up just to have a good time. Then you have your fun players who will camp a corner, ignore orders, want to play "fun" maps and siege maps.

You have to decide where you'd want it to fit and as Crispy has mentioned base your server around your audience, in particular your maps.

It could be your community doesn't want to change, in which case you'd need to branch off or close them off completely.
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    It has been said a couple of times already but I would like to mention it again.

To be taken serious you will need to use a spellchecker. Second your community doesn't show any competive potential at all.
    You got server with so many plugins, custom maps and crap admins (although the latter doesn't really have anything to do with being competive but more for reputation).
    I suggest you fix those first before trying to form an eSports clan/community with the name ABLEns
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1730003:date=Oct 1 2009, 06:00 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Oct 1 2009, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no one is forcing you to play on their (future) servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well right now you are forced to play on some servers because there are not alot of NS servers left that are not populated by bots.
    But the ABLE server is one of my favorites (mainly because of the people playing there) and i seriously don't notice that many plugins running there, siege maps are annoying yes. But only if people vote for them :D

And what's up with all the grammar nazis? Sure his goals are set somewhat high and his spelling isn't that perfect for such high goals. But how about we remember that not everybody's native language is english? Way too many people just disregard him and his post purely based on his spelling which is kinda lame... "lolz your grammar is bad so your idea must suck too".
  • SanguinesMoonSanguinesMoon Join Date: 2009-09-20 Member: 68833Members
    COuldnt resist replying on this.

I am a player on the able server, and to be honest, spelling or not, you should grow up.

There is so little you can do, and it doesnt matter if one uses a spell checker or not. If someone should be not taken seriously, its you guys whining about spelling on the internet.

Not everyones from an enlgish country, So that said, Your all most likely kids because you do it.

The guy is just trying to get NS2 into competive gaming. His english is perfectly readable and your just making an excuse to flame.

So please, Instead of whining, your grammar sucks. Actually support him in his cause as hes perfectly readable.

Oh and ONE MORE FRIGGING THING.

The guy NEVER said anything about doing the eSport with costum maps did he? No.

Try again. Really guys. Think before you post.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Is English your natively spoken language SanguinesMoon?
  • SanguinesMoonSanguinesMoon Join Date: 2009-09-20 Member: 68833Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732356:date=Oct 15 2009, 08:46 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 15 2009, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is English your natively spoken language SanguinesMoon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What has that got to do with it? I aint english and I fully understand him.

And fyi, He isnt english to.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732353:date=Oct 15 2009, 08:34 PM:name=SanguinesMoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SanguinesMoon @ Oct 15 2009, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am a player on the able server, and to be honest, spelling or not, you should grow up.

There is so little you can do, and it doesnt matter if one uses a spell checker or not. If someone should be not taken seriously, its you guys whining about spelling on the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because heaven forbid we would think that gathering either on the Internet or in real life and spekin liek dis al de tiem wuld be so like coool nd stff.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not everyones from an <b>enlgish</b> country, So that said, Your all most likely kids because you do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On an <b>English</b> only forum, discussing formal requests for people with talent to be contracted into establishing popular Internet and competitive gaming domains. Ooh yes, we don't get any kind of kick in life like this!

Sarcastic comment aside, this sentence made zero sense to me. Are you claiming that all British and American people are children from Neverland who never hit puberty?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So please, Instead of whining, your grammar sucks. Actually support him in his cause as hes perfectly readable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice polite mannerism/###### paradox you got going there. Start with please, immediately follow with insults. This is going to send my head spinning around the room now...
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1730426:date=Oct 3 2009, 11:09 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 3 2009, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Competitive players are those that will want to grind and grind the original and competitive maps. These guys will be your commanders, your one man teams etc. Casual players on the whole will want to play the game properly, won't have the same skill set as your competitive players but won't sod it up just to have a good time. Then you have your fun players who will camp a corner, ignore orders, want to play "fun" maps and siege maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice try buddy. "Casual" players put as much time into the game as the competitive players, probably more now that the game is dead. The only real difference is that one caste consists entirely out of Helen Keller. BAD admins recently realized this and scrapped together enough effort/care to ask for help from the competitive community. They have improved significantly since.

True "casual" players don't play eight year old games.

e: I grant you that this might not be true for euros though.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    This thread has left me disappointed in the NS2 community.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited October 2009
    Attempting to take NS2 truly competitive is as good a cause as any other hobby related one. However, when money and private contracts are involved you expect the person offering them to have some semblance of professionality and knowing what the hell they're talking about. This guy from Able obviously doesn't.

At no time in the past have Able shown any interest in competitive NS and from the original and subsequent posts made by GISP, don't really understand what it takes to assemble and run an effective competitive team. It just reeks of taking up a good cause for bad reasons (in this case, profit seems to be the reason).

Basically, they're going about this completely the wrong way.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732381:date=Oct 16 2009, 12:34 AM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Oct 16 2009, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True "casual" players don't play eight year old games.

e: I grant you that this might not be true for euros though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm a very casual gamer, I play old games more so than new. Casual gamers tend not to buy the latest and greatest simply because they're old and stuck in their ways ;)

Edit: Yes I'm 'pean, we are tight wads with our monies!
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732443:date=Oct 16 2009, 10:38 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 16 2009, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a very casual gamer, I play old games more so than new. Casual gamers tend not to buy the latest and greatest simply because they're old and stuck in their ways ;)

Edit: Yes I'm 'pean, we are tight wads with our monies!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're a mapper. You have over 4,000 posts on this forum. Even if you do somehow fit some imaginary criteria of a "casual" gamer, does this really mean anything?

The terminology is really of greatest concern here. There is a distinction between the actual casual target market and what the residents of this forum refer to as the casual crowd. The ACTUAL casual crowd (one dominated almost-exclusively by XX chromosome 23 karyotypes) aren't even interested in this game. The FPS/RTS sci-fi nature of this game essentially eliminates both the casual crowd and leaves us with the FPS and RTS markets.

The FPS and RTS market <u>can</u> be split into sub-groups of players based on how many hours per week they spend playing, statistics on this would help immensely. From personal experience though, the competitive and non-competitive players will have a huge percentage of overlap in these sub-groups. That's my hypothesis.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    In order to hit the true casual crowd we need to put football in it somehow :P
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732461:date=Oct 16 2009, 09:54 AM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Oct 16 2009, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The terminology is really of greatest concern here.
    The FPS and RTS market <u>can</u> be split into sub-groups of players based on how many hours per week they spend playing, statistics on this would help immensely. From personal experience though, the competitive and non-competitive players will have a huge percentage of overlap in these sub-groups. That's my hypothesis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think I understand where you're coming from here, and it helps if you assume casual means "casual PC-FPS and or RTS" player which is significantly different from "casual game" player. I doubt anyone here is thinking of their Wii-bowling grandma when they are talking about casual players on this forum.

A better comparison of player base would be TF2, which is specifically made for casual FPS players to near the exclusion of competitive play. NS2 has been stated as <b><u>not</b></u> going this route and has not shown any real indication of doing so either. However, it is also not going the route of Warsow and focusing on competitive play to near the exclusion of casual players. I'm not slamming either of these games, they're both good for what they are, but their appeal is limited to each set of players.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    this isnt locked yet?
  • mulkmulk Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68597Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732482:date=Oct 16 2009, 04:30 PM:name=mulk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mulk @ Oct 16 2009, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like able :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you serious? you lurked this forum for a month and then made your first post in this train wreck of a thread?!

sorry, I find it hilarious :P
    How do I fail to fit in to casual gaming because up until 2005 I mapped solidly? I haven't actually produced a level since 2005, the most I have done is level optimization for a few modifications. I'm pretty casual.. ie. I play games around 2 hours maximum a week.
  • lolerloler Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69365Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729814:date=Sep 30 2009, 03:59 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Sep 30 2009, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is probably the funniest thing I've read in 2009.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes agree, able + competive = fail. but i gotta give you props for trying to not fail.
    WHY DID WE REVIVE THIS THREAD!? :P
  • lolerloler Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69365Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737408:date=Nov 13 2009, 07:37 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 13 2009, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WHY DID WE REVIVE THIS THREAD!? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because its funny and sad that he tries to go to the highest skilled in pro gaming (?). he is just admin on a public noob server with loads of plugins, lerklift,siegemaps,give res,xmenu and more ###### maps.

se it like this - a guy , or a "dude" as he sais : starts from level 1 and suddenly wants to hire people to play at level 10. who wants to slave and support able. tell me some skilled person that would, expect "mulk".
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Hi i have some opinion. My spelling is bad as well and i think u shouldn't judge person on his spelling only.

I play ns 6 years been in ensl team a bit.

Able server is more fun and i like custom maps as i am too bored of classic playing them 6 years day to day.
    Able server is full but mostly full of average players as some ensl players said able are for noobs
    As pro players hate custom maps and plugins. So u can create a server with classic maps and combat mode with no plugins. I would love to play old combat.
    And trying to make ns2 team as early as possible is completely fine and good to do
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729989:date=Oct 1 2009, 07:26 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 1 2009, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you say something like that? And yes i am offended by that, we are doing our best.
    Trow in some ideas on how we can better ourselfs and the server and we gladly consider em.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can I not get banned for being decent?
This discussion has been closed.