Make the guns LOUD!

-Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Seriously.</div>You know what sucks? When there are weapons in FPS games that are <u>quiet and whimpy</u>.

All you hear is "pfft pfft pfft"

For example check this gun out: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgtouYmzs8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgtouYmzs8</a>

O my god! Is that really a shotgun? Because it sounds like my grandma farting.

Now look at this: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdE_4dIoNc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdE_4dIoNc</a>

Very nice, now thats what I'm talking about. More BANG BANG BANG BOOM and less Pfft pffpt fpfptf

Think about it... it makes sense. The game is always <b>indoors</b>... inside spaceships and colones... etc etc. And if you ever shot a gun or seen somebody shoot a gun inside a indoor shooting range... IT IS LOUD, and they wear hearing protection, because it is LOUD.

The people who play NS2 are badass, so the guns better be up to the task of being bad ass also.
If the guns are some wimpy crappy silent thing... it would seriously make the game suck! Yes it's that important.

(This is what the minigun should sound like.... ok maybe not THIS loud.)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k...feature=related</a>

Comments

• aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    I approve. The guns definitely need to feel more like real weapons and less like synthetic-stock sporting toys.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729017:date=Sep 26 2009, 08:41 PM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 26 2009, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I approve. The guns definitely need to feel more like real weapons and less like synthetic-stock sporting toys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Esspecially since it is always indoors.

Imagine a wimpy crappy gun named a "MG" that goes like Pfft pfft pfft while loads of onos and small things are rushing you.

one word: LAME!

Needs more BANG BOOM.
  • HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    While I agree that having a louder, more intense gunshot would both be more realistic and feel much more macho, I wouldn't want all of the other important sounds of the game to be drowned out over the sounds of my gun.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    As long as bite and blink arn't loud, they are already too loud -,-
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    maybe in the future guns aren't as loud as they have figured out a way to turn that audio energy into kinetic energy thus making the gun more powerful

basically you want a balance of sounds - you don't want to go deaf every time you shoot just because it happens in real life - but at the same time you want a gun that sounds powerful
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    For me the NS guns have always felt powerful due to the precise accuracy and quick damage potential. They've never felt lame. Some extra kick in sounds couldn't probably hurt though.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    That A-10 gatling gun sounds like alien walkers in War of the Worlds.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    The guns in NS1 sounded just fine, the HMG in particular. Now, I've heard a rumour that whoever made NS1 is also working on NS2, so there's probably no need to worry.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    HMG was noisy as hell
    Indeed, all the guns are loud as hell in NS1. Mostly the alien weapons were too loud. I do wish the fade blink noise volume was 10% of what it is now. (which is what I had modified the file to before it was added to consistency -,-)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why the hell do you need loud guns? It's like 200 years in the future, maybe they move away from the physical reaction used in ammo today by then? or the weapons are silenced... any way, this should be decided when the game is ready to play.
  • ljcrabsljcrabs Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62924Members
    I kind of want both; a small dynamic range for extended or casual periods of play, and a larger range for quick games or competitive play.
  • poonzer69poonzer69 Join Date: 2009-09-27 Member: 68889Members
    Turn your volume up.
    <!--quoteo(post=1729391:date=Sep 28 2009, 05:06 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 28 2009, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Turn your volume up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pfft pfft pfft when on high just sounds like more pfft pfft pfft...
  • hundhund Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68263Members
    this..is my BOOMStick!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    As long as I can have my volume up high enough to hear my teammates and not get my eardrums blown by the sound of my gun.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited September 2009
    Make your own louder sound pack and play with it.

I don't like louder gun sounds, are not realistic for a game of this type. NS is not about louder sounds and macho ######, it's about fun, teamplay and more fun.

And if you need macho sounds, just remember this: macho is who tasted and don't liked it.
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729780:date=Sep 30 2009, 06:24 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Sep 30 2009, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make your own louder sound pack and play with it.

I don't like louder gun sounds, are not realistic for a game of this type. NS is not about louder sounds and macho ######, it's about fun, teamplay and more fun.

And if you need macho sounds, <b>just remember this: macho is who tasted and don't liked it.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I didn't even begin to understand what that meant.

And You don't know what you are talking about. Loud weapons ARE realistic in this game.

IF you ever shot a gun inside of a building... you would know. Heck even my paintball gun is LOUD AS ###### when shot inside my house.

NS is inside spaceships and colonies, guns will be loud.
    As you say, NS is inside spaceships and colonies, mostly corridors, in a distant future. Guns will not be loud just for this reason. You have to assume that some kind of silencer is built in the gun itself, or then you will end with a squad of deaf marines. And if you will say that they have a protection for the ears on the helmet, then they don't hear that loud sound, therefore you (as the player) will hear the same, a not loud sound.

Again, if you like louder sounds, make your own sound pack.
    <!--quoteo(post=1730036:date=Oct 1 2009, 02:13 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Oct 1 2009, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As you say, NS is inside spaceships and colonies, mostly corridors, in a distant future. Guns will not be loud just for this reason. You have to assume that some kind of silencer is built in the gun itself, or then you will end with a squad of deaf marines. And if you will say that they have a protection for the ears on the helmet, then they don't hear that loud sound, therefore you (as the player) will hear the same, a not loud sound.

Again, if you like louder sounds, make your own sound pack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are taking this way too much like real life..

As homicide once said " Get off the realism bull###### "

We already heard your opinion once in the thread, there is no reason to keep on repeating it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    If you don't like the sounds you could always up the normalization percentage of the original sounds when NS2 is out... I take it, in NS1, you only have a problem with the LMG, as the Pistol, HMG and SG both sound pretty decent to me (HMG is loud as hell :D)... That is just one sound, might want to simply edit it yourself if it isn't beefy enough ;)

Also guns that are too loud all the time, would make voice comm close to useless. Taking this scenario into the TF2 universe > Just imagine four or more TF2 heavies firing and screaming in a small area. Trust me, nobody is going to understand anything anyone else is trying to say. It's a fun and epic thing to see though :D But it's a rare scenario, but in NS2 you wouldn't be able to escape the loudness in the heat of battle (a place where communication is quite critical)

TRDR;
    - Too loud guns suck for teamplay/communication
    - Pistol, HMG and SG are fine IMHO, LMG could use a small boost
    - Lot's of TF2 Heavies is fun to see :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1730100:date=Oct 1 2009, 05:58 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 1 2009, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't like the sounds you could always up the normalization percentage of the original sounds when NS2 is out... I take it, in NS1, you only have a problem with the LMG, as the Pistol, HMG and SG both sound pretty decent to me (HMG is loud as hell :D)... That is just one sound, might want to simply edit it yourself if it isn't beefy enough ;)

Also guns that are too loud all the time, would make voice comm close to useless. Taking this scenario into the TF2 universe > Just imagine four or more TF2 heavies firing and screaming in a small area. Trust me, nobody is going to understand anything anyone else is trying to say. It's a fun and epic thing to see though :D But it's a rare scenario, but in NS2 you wouldn't be able to escape the loudness in the heat of battle (a place where communication is quite critical)

TRDR;
    - Too loud guns suck for teamplay/communication
    - Pistol, HMG and SG are fine IMHO, LMG could use a small boost
    - Lot's of TF2 Heavies is fun to see :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that isn't what we really mean... to make the guns so loud that they drown everything out.

Plus most games lower the volume of everything when somebody speaks on a mic.

We mean guns that make big noises like BANG and BOOM... Not something like the shotgun in the first video.

You can turn the shotguns volume up and it will still sound bad.

But get a 50 cal and put it at a nice volume... everything works out. You hear the things need hearing and the sound is great so it is "macho"
    By "loud" do you mean "low frequency?"

Most video game already over exaggerate the tone of a gun shot. Honestly, the only way you get "loud" guns is to turn your volume up.
    <!--quoteo(post=1730086:date=Oct 1 2009, 06:50 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Oct 1 2009, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are taking this way too much like real life..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are funny. You are the one asking for "real" sounds.
    But I do the best and stop writing on a troll thread.
  • magicboommagicboom Join Date: 2009-10-02 Member: 68928Members
    I really like the sound of the assault rifles in the movie Aliens by James Cameron

It's not too loud, but sounds very cool and distinct
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited October 2009
    Can i get a suppressor?

It's just that in NS1... shooting guns would ATTRACT aliens... while the actual bullets coming out of the gun could barely WOUND alien you were shooting at. It was always a loosing battle... best to never shoot at any thing larger then a skulk with a LMG etc. Attacking 3 skulks usually ended in failure due to lag. Same thing if their's 2 skulks and you don't have a full magazine.

If your lucky, maybe you can get them with a pistol... funny how the pistol always had to be drawn... at least 3/4 of the time.

Also i know a way to make the guns "loud". You simply have to make gun fire cause the ambient sounds / alien attacking sounds / people talking "taunting" sounds / mic spam sounds / and footstep sounds... silent when someone starts shooting a gun near you, or your doing it. (or fires up a chainsaw)

And all the veterans want suppressors cause we know better lol.
    <!--quoteo(post=1730154:date=Oct 2 2009, 01:33 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Oct 2 2009, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are funny. You are the one asking for "real" sounds.
    But I do the best and stop writing on a troll thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you stop replying to my threads if you think they are all troll threads? You don't even know what a troll is, because you are being one for spamming the threads I make with garbage like that.

I'm surprised the forum admins don't ban people for being like this.

And I never asked for real sounds, just loud ones. Try reading the posts before you spew nonsense.
  • JashaaaJashaaa Join Date: 2009-09-10 Member: 68742Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729093:date=Sep 27 2009, 04:36 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 27 2009, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why the hell do you need loud guns? It's like 200 years in the future, maybe they move away from the physical reaction used in ammo today by then? or the weapons are silenced... any way, this should be decided when the game is ready to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha NS2 would be lame with silenced guns. I dont really care about the volume, but please dont make guns "lame". Often the developers of a game spend ######load of hours on coding/models/gfx/maps, but they dont realise that the players ALWAYS run around with a gun and fire all the time. If the gun physics or gun sounds are lame the whole game feels lame. I don't talk about the volume. There's much more important stuff like dynamics(deep) in the sound.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2009
    You can't make guns louder than the speakers, how loud a gun is will depend on your speakers, in those videos it depends on the microphone, microphones and speakers never capture things properly unless you have ridiculously expensive ones and careful preparations.

You can give them different amounts of bass, different after-effects, different components (metallic clinks, bullet cracks, all sorts of things) but you can't really make them louder.

Here for example: Same gun, two different sounds because of different environments and different mics:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76wGxg3fzw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76wGxg3fzw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANTsFVr4pA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANTsFVr4pA</a>