Cadavers obstructing pathways etc.

minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
I just got thinking and was wondering when like a onos dies in a corridor or something, would that body remain there obstructing the pathway until we like knife at the dead corpse. Or lets say we kill a skulk and lands next to our feet can we kick it around. Cuz like a dead onos body blocking a pathway can become a good tactical strategy creating some time for the alien side and what not. If the dev team or anyone who knows about this can answer it id be very thankful that you did, cuz i can't stop thinking about it.

Comments

• minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    anyone have any ideas cuz im really curious, like lets say commander wants to hold down a position, however onos decides to charge in and get killed, but now the big body is there blocking the way until it is hacked down or something, giving time to all the other alien units to counter-attack.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited September 2009
    no, that would be that kind of gore NS will not have, we dont slash any kind of already dead species to bits.

and by the way.....

wrong forum
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Can we cut out the onos innards and sleep inside?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    haha, homicide that made me laugh :)
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728486:date=Sep 23 2009, 03:55 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 23 2009, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can we cut out the onos innards and sleep inside?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wait..what? who do you think you are? rob roy? luke skywalker?
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728469:date=Sep 23 2009, 04:35 AM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ Sep 23 2009, 04:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just got thinking and was wondering when like a onos dies in a corridor or something, would that body remain there obstructing the pathway until we like knife at the dead corpse. Or lets say we kill a skulk and lands next to our feet can we kick it around. Cuz like a dead onos body blocking a pathway can become a good tactical strategy creating some time for the alien side and what not. If the dev team or anyone who knows about this can answer it id be very thankful that you did, cuz i can't stop thinking about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've already made a thread about that with lots of different opinions.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106894" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=106894</a>

But to answer your question,

I assume there won't be collision ragdoll.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assume there won't be collision ragdoll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's sad, really. A lot of tactical depth and realism is going down the drain.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Or instead of wasting a valuable Onos on a momentary obstruction that Onos could simply stay alive instead and block the tunnel. With the added benefit of goring to death anybody who tries to get past it. How about that?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    im all for digging a cave in onos' stomache for a save sleeping spot
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1728508:date=Sep 23 2009, 01:36 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 23 2009, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or instead of wasting a valuable Onos on a momentary obstruction that Onos could simply stay alive instead and block the tunnel. With the added benefit of goring to death anybody who tries to get past it. How about that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Nothing wrong with that, but when the turd hits the fan and the onos goes down, the rest of the aliens can fall back without being shot thanks to the cover the meatloaf offers.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    No, corpses are immediately recycled by the nanites/bacterium.
    but it takes some time to clear an mutated gorillaphant.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yeah well nanites.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    Hehe i have a problem in posting in wrong sections, but thanks everyone for the input.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1728507:date=Sep 23 2009, 07:15 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 23 2009, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's sad, really. A lot of tactical depth and realism is going down the drain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's odd, because my level of fun and and convenience (opposed to frustration) has gone way up.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    edited September 2009
    Well stop it with nanites, nanites are god, nannites cook you eggs, nanites feed your dog, nanites give you huge ######, nanites blablabla...

If nanites where so good, the marines and their weapons wont exist and nanites just eat everything in a minute. Nanites are just a bull###### to explain what nobody can.
    But nanites can do all that. but they cant fight on the microcosmos level. Thats where the infestation comes into play.
    It overwhelmes the nanites as it creeps through the map.
    edited September 2009
    nanites could control alien brains :(
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Ragdoll collisions would create some interesting stuff, but I don't know how much resoucres it's going to take to synchronize it for all the clients.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    That would be cool... Aliens are rushing some marines in the corridor and they keep on dying so they create a sort of meat wall for the other aliens to hide behind.

Then the onos dies so you need some kinda big cutting tool to cut it in half. Haha that would be sick!

:)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    It does KIND of make sense. A dead Onos might last a little while, certainly less than 30 seconds, while it is recycled. The recycling goop would make a ramp for aliens to walk up and over the corpse, while damaging and knocking back marines that try it.

And the reverse. When the aliens destroy a large mobile turret, its power source would short circuit, knocking back and damaging any aliens near it. Marines have conductive armor that negates the damage and knockback for THEM, however.

Neither would be a GOOD tactic, a large sacrifice for a fleeting effect. Just a bonus to help retreats not turn into routs.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    NANITES!

that is all
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729249:date=Sep 28 2009, 01:47 AM:name=ryknow69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryknow69 @ Sep 28 2009, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NANITES!

that is all<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't that just an excuse because of engine limitations that didn't allow cadavers to last for a long time?

I mean since it is possible now... why not add it in? Don't want to play NS1 w/ JUST better graphics do we?