Question for the devs: How do you plan NS2's animations and physics to be like?

-Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
edited September 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
*Expectations End here*

Well, I was just wondering about the overall physics and animations of the game.

For example the animations... will the players just run around like sticks with guns (see quake wars example.) ? Or will they be flexible, lean while strafing, limp when hurt, react correctly when attacked (instead of the usual standing still and blood splash... in most games), you know... the little things that make it seem real.

The other thing was the physics. Will the surrounding area become damaged when a trip mine or grenade goes off? Can we expect lights and wall coverings to fall off? What about the players? Will they be knocked down by explosions and larger aliens?

Imagine being hit by a charging onos but not dieing ... then you open fire onto it while on the ground so your buddies can retreat or something.

Even if it is too soon to tell... what is the team planning on doing? Will it be like the old NS guys running around? Or will you try to go for the nice realistic way?

Thanks to the devs if they answer. :)

EXAMPLE:

Quake wars (still a great game.)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOpk1H9caE&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOpk1H9caE&hd=1</a>

*Expectations Start here*

Comments

• homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    They will obviously be working to make the animations smooth and blend naturally but there is only so much you can do with keyframe animations. The alternatives take too much server CPU and network bandwidth for a game like NS

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKLaMN9dnjQ&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKLaMN9dnjQ...feature=related</a>
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    1) charlie and co should not waste there time responding to this

2) Some of your expectations are completely unrealistic for a game of this type
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728051:date=Sep 20 2009, 06:48 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Sep 20 2009, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) charlie and co should not <b>waste there time</b> responding to this

2) Some of your expectations are completely unrealistic for a game of this type<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. It is for them to decide to respond or not, and it is <u>their</u> not <i>there</i>.

2. And they are <b>not</b> expectations, they are examples to show what I mean by animation and physics. Did you ever hear anything saying " I expect? " No I just asked what the anim and physics would look like and gave examples of what those where.

One thing I hate about forums is that there is always some person who will come distort what you are saying, and then criticize you for it.

<!--quoteo(post=1728044:date=Sep 20 2009, 04:37 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 20 2009, 04:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They will obviously be working to make the animations smooth and blend naturally but there is only so much you can do with keyframe animations. The alternatives take too much server CPU and network bandwidth for a game like NS

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKLaMN9dnjQ&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKLaMN9dnjQ...feature=related</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow that was amazing, So I think that NS2 will not be using this engine?

Well, thats up to the devs i guess.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited September 2009
    NS2 is going to be like Quake Wars, not like the animation you have described which is not to my knowledge found in any multiplayer game like this. I wouldn't insult people for their grammar/spelling when you've made a mistake right in the title of your topic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728062:date=Sep 20 2009, 09:32 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Sep 20 2009, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is going to be like Quake Wars, not like the animation you have described which is not to my knowledge found in any multiplayer game like this. I wouldn't insult people for their grammar/spelling when you've made a mistake right in the title of your topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you blame me?

posted on "Today, 01:23 AM" I was half asleep.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1728067:date=Sep 20 2009, 06:40 AM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 20 2009, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you blame me?

posted on "Today, 01:23 AM" I was half asleep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, if you are going to try to hold others to a higher standard, we can hold you to it regardless of the time you post.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    The OP's expectations are way too large. The amount of physics that will actually be in the game will probably be very minimal to keep the minimum system requirements low.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728079:date=Sep 20 2009, 05:15 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Sep 20 2009, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The OP's expectations are way too large. The amount of physics that will actually be in the game will probably be very minimal to keep the minimum system requirements low.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to mention that the only way we'll see degradable crates and walls etc. (e.g. if you had a "Boltgun" or something, and you could blow a hole or a large chip straight off a small cube of a soft alloy like you might with small explosives in real life) is by waiting about 10-15 years after they develop machines capable of providing full VR immersive gameplay, since those would most likely seem like Wii+ at first, before we start making PS4s the size of a child's thumb, thus seeming a more realistic milestone in technology anytime soon.

If more than half the development work going into the gaming industry was focused on optimising current-gen tech and physics engines instead of glossing worlds completely in bloom in more migrain inducing ways and putting moles on space marine lips then you might see that kind of awesome sooner, but still no gurantees really.

</fancypants?> </self-implied_monacle_worthiness> </geek>
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2009
    Plus, having a lot of realistic physic simulation lowers the networking performance that the game is capable of achieving (as then there is then a lot more state data that needs to be transmit).
    <!--quoteo(post=1728079:date=Sep 20 2009, 12:15 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Sep 20 2009, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The OP's expectations are way too large. The amount of physics that will actually be in the game will probably be very minimal to keep the minimum system requirements low.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why do you assume they are expectations?

I even said in an earlier post that they were not.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728120:date=Sep 20 2009, 08:25 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 20 2009, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do you assume they are expectations?

I even said in an earlier post that they were not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You were anticipating or hoping that the game will have a large amount of physics and animation shenanigans. I can't see how they are not <i>expectations</i> and it is easier for me to refer them as <i>expectations</i>.

EDIT: Private Message sent to -Diesel- regarding this off-topic discussion.
    edited September 2009
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1728035:date=Sep 20 2009, 06:23 AM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 20 2009, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example the animations... will the players just run around like sticks with guns (see quake wars example.) ? Or will they be flexible, lean while strafing, limp when hurt, react correctly when attacked (instead of the usual standing still and blood splash... in most games), you know... the little things that make it seem real.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hope not. Realism makes me realize how stupid realistic videogames are and hate myself for playing them. I don't roleplay space furries, I play videogames.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other thing was the physics. Will the surrounding area become damaged when a trip mine or grenade goes off? Can we expect lights and wall coverings to fall off? What about the players? Will they be knocked down by explosions and larger aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. You are looking for Crysis 5/Half Life 3.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine being hit by a charging onos but not dieing ... then you open fire onto it while on the ground so your buddies can retreat or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Imagine being hit by stomp and having your screen shake a little bit. Welcome to the world of NS.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728130:date=Sep 20 2009, 07:32 PM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 20 2009, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hope not. Realism makes me realize how stupid realistic videogames are and hate myself for playing them. I don't roleplay space furries, I play videogames.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728130:date=Sep 20 2009, 10:32 PM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 20 2009, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hope not. Realism makes me realize how stupid realistic videogames are and hate myself for playing them. I don't roleplay space furries, I play videogames<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess this is the reason why modern video games all suck.

Wants of the newer generation have gone down so much.

You hate yourself for playing a realistic game? Who said anything about roleplaying and furries?

Ugh this is why I hate internet forums.
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1728239:date=Sep 21 2009, 06:39 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 21 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess this is the reason why modern video games all suck.

Wants of the newer generation have gone down so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you do feel that videogames with less realism suck. Is it so hard to accept the fact that you're playing a videogame and that rules of this universe don't apply to it because it is basically a projection of an interactive simulation on your monitor? Why does everything have to be a murder simulator? Why can't games be fun, innovative and artistic designed from the ground up for competition?

You can definitely have complexity and beauty without realism. For example rocket jumping adds complexity, but detracts from realism. I'd love to have it in the game because it adds to actual fun, competitive depth rather than realism. You wouldn't. People who share your opinion are a dime a dozen and are responsible for the stagnation of the industry.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You hate yourself for playing a realistic game? Who said anything about roleplaying and furries?

Ugh this is why I hate internet forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ugh this is the part where I cry into my pillow because I don't accept any humor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728250:date=Sep 21 2009, 03:24 PM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 21 2009, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you do feel that videogames with less realism suck. Is it so hard to accept the fact that you're playing a videogame and that rules of this universe don't apply to it because it is basically a projection of an interactive simulation on your monitor? Why does everything have to be a murder simulator? Why can't games be fun, innovative and artistic designed from the ground up for competition?

You can definitely have complexity and beauty without realism. For example rocket jumping adds complexity, but detracts from realism. I'd love to have it in the game because it adds to actual fun, competitive depth rather than realism. You wouldn't. People who share your opinion are a dime a dozen and are responsible for the stagnation of the industry.

Ugh this is the part where I cry into my pillow because I don't accept any humor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well you sure proved yourself tough guy.

An alien attacks a marine and alien actually makes contact with the marines body and you can see its teeth going around the marines arm. Then the marine shoots it off and blood comes out of the place the marine got bit. "Oh no! That isn't right! It is too realistic! You better change the animations into something crappy, because then the game is too realistic! Oh and remove the euphoria engine also! Because I want marines that die the same way every time they are attacked! Because if that happens I turn into a roleplaying furry and then I will hate myself!"

There are two reasons why you might be doing this, 1 you are really a person who wouldn't want games to become better and you would rather have them stay the old crappy ways they are (even though the hardware limitations that forced this are gone now) Or 2, You beleive that this will make the games requirements increase and you are too cheap to buy a new computer, so you would not want the game to advance at all so you can run it. Which is a very ignorant and selfish thing to want.

And you totally have the wrong idea of "realism" Maybe you would know what I meant if you actually read the OP.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    If we can all stop raging at each other for 10 seconds, I think we can all agree that

1) These kinds of things (aliens specifically sinking their teeth into a marine's arm, then it gets shot off and the marine bleeds out of the exact place he was bit) do not exist in any form in any kind of multiplayer game. This is because they are incredibly difficult, time consuming, and resource-intensive to implement.

2) Even if they did or could exist in games today, the question of whether or not this is desirable arises. For the realistic reactions you're talking about to happen, game mechanics would have to be altered, in some places significantly. Even simple stuff like getting knocked around when an alien attacks you can make a big difference to gameplay, and it's not obvious that adding these sorts of things would make the game more fun, even if admittedly they would make the space marine vs alien simulator much more realistic.

3) Even if we can reasonably say that it's possible to have this sort of interaction in a contemporary semi-competitive multiplayer game like NS2, and even if we can say that this would be beneficial to the gameplay, there is simply no conceivable way that the team working on NS2 could implement this stuff. The sort of things you describe are, if not impossible at our current tech level for fast-paced multiplayer, still incredibly difficult and expensive to implement. NS2 has a team smaller than 10 people and a budget far below a game like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and I can say with complete certainty that NS2 will not be able to add the sorts of things you describe.

I feel like 1, 2, and 3, taken either alone, in any combination of the two, or all together, make it 100% clear that NS2 will not or should not have these kinds of interactions. Instead of acting belligerent to everyone for displaying faults that you also display, I think everyone would be better off if you contest these three points or concede the issue.
    I know I always dress up in full body armor and paint my face army green when I play soccer, basketball, and ping-pong. I hate when other players don't even wear camo when they play ping-pong, so unrealistic...
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    While being a little raged filled, this thread perfectly hits many of my exact feelings on realism vs. fantasy in video games. TychoCelchuuu and aNytiMe, great posts. Excellent rocket jumping example there sir.