Post here if you have been playing since October 31st, 2002

Comments

• Fatty_McCowFatty_McCow Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72977Members
    Esco here - king of the babs
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    is this a thread to get off on yourself? YESH IVE BEEN PLAYING EN ESH 1 FOR YRSH! I AM SHO KOOL!!!!!1111111 this thread shows the boredom of the entire community and is a reflection of how we've lost our minds waiting for this next fix
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801979:date=Oct 19 2010, 04:11 AM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Oct 19 2010, 04:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is this a thread to get off on yourself? YESH IVE BEEN PLAYING EN ESH 1 FOR YRSH! I AM SHO KOOL!!!!!1111111 this thread shows the boredom of the entire community and is a reflection of how we've lost our minds waiting for this next fix<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huzzah, Friend! The skewering you have just delivered to the pompous elitists that balloon this thread like so much hot air is simply delightful. Please, be so kind as to post more :).
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    Best part of launch was how everyone thought the Xfire installer bundled with it was spyware :D
  • MercsDragonMercsDragon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6963Members
    I miss the original blink :(
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    No point in missing the first releases.
    For me 2.0 was the real shock. Huge change in gameplay in a good way.

I hope that NS2 will be as good as the change from NS 1.x to 2.0 was
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1778064:date=Jul 13 2010, 03:12 PM:name=MotherGoose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MotherGoose @ Jul 13 2010, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->remember my computer would take 20hrs plus to compile a test build of a map, so ReadyRoom created a server you could book and they would compile it for you. (anyone remember her name?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D Shodan :D

There's a screenshot of her on a monitor in the marine start on ns_nothing.

--Scythe--
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wow didn't know about that screenshot... that's class.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    V1 of Nothing was so big, that SHODAN was the only thing that was actually capable of compiling it.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    I used to go gorge, just for the sake of babblers. Loved sitting just round the corner when being approached my marines and letting the little buggers off. Hilarious fun!

As for everything else, I found commanding more pain than it was worth but was a good marine. I was great with skulk/gorge and lerk... crap with fade and only ever evolved to Onos when the team was dominating and had more res then it could count.

When you could drop chambers like its hot it was hilarious. Marines found it hard to breach some of those walls until sieges came along.

Combat was definitely a killer for NS. I also think that when games go non vanilla, it kills a game also.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Co was very much a killer. If you were to take a look at the servers now, around 80% are Co, or some other non basic Ns.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    That was one thing I never understood about peoples fascination with CO. I always felt that they didn't know the kind of fun they were missing out on Classic NS. Imo Classic NS is the most fun by far, long games, tense battles, the back and forth of taking hives or losing them, destroying most of the marine base then getting pushed back, the strategy and fast pace made it uniquely fun. The first year of NS was the most fun in any FPS I ever had and I am sure anyone that experienced that first year will say exactly the same.

Bring back that good ol' feeling for NS2!!!!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Combat extended Natural Selection's life and playerbase. For NS2, it's important to recognize what Combat did right and what made it so popular. I'd like to think UWE has already done this as there is an effort to make the official maps more streamlined and has emphasized building through commander controlled NPCs.

Saying Combat killed or destroyed NS doesn't make any sense. It was an extremely popular and fun mode that allowed NS to live this long and healthy life. It may even be a major contributing factor in why the NS2 presale numbers are so good. Granted, random forum goers who don't know what they're talking about, or think their opinion is fact, will have you think that playing combat somehow selectively uninstalled classic...
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    My only point is that Classic NS is more fun than Combat, by far.
  • Rescue9Rescue9 Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2607Members
    Babblers from vents = FTW!
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1802591:date=Oct 25 2010, 06:13 AM:name=vEtEr4n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vEtEr4n @ Oct 25 2010, 06:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only point is that Classic NS is more fun than Combat, by far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah my best times were definitely on NS rather than Combat.

Some of my worst too though haha!
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AC1C0X0Nk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AC1C0X0Nk</a>
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2012
    I remember a custom mod:
    lerk taxi, it was fun.
    Oh man...great now im in nostalgia.
    The good old great ns1 was awesome.
    Gorge rush...
    The Onos Marine eater Gang.
    The good old gorge building a room full of chambers blocking a elevator.
    Welding doors to prevent aliens from comming to us...
    Oh man i hope soooooo much someone did a remake, just the visible effect of infestation around the structures, like cysts did but with no gameplay effect.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I remember posting in a thread talking about all those old memories. Old school thread those were the days.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1802557:date=Oct 24 2010, 02:29 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 24 2010, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Combat extended Natural Selection's life and playerbase. For NS2, it's important to recognize what Combat did right and what made it so popular. I'd like to think UWE has already done this as there is an effort to make the official maps more streamlined and has emphasized building through commander controlled NPCs.

Saying Combat killed or destroyed NS doesn't make any sense. It was an extremely popular and fun mode that allowed NS to live this long and healthy life. It may even be a major contributing factor in why the NS2 presale numbers are so good. Granted, random forum goers who don't know what they're talking about, or think their opinion is fact, will have you think that playing combat somehow selectively uninstalled classic...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nah. combat killed ns. ns was at its core an fps/rts hybrid, not a tdm game. the fact that there are more people who like playing asymmetrical tdm doesn't have any bearing on the fact that combat drew a lot of players away from playing vanilla ns.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    If combat killed classic NS (and it certainly looked like it over the years), it's because a lot of people simply don't want to play an FPS-RTS hybrid (because they like one or the other much more). SentrySteve is right to point out that making this game more streamlined will help keep player numbers high, but some portion of that playercount is the guys who just want to shoot stuff and will never, ever build an extractor. That's just the way it is :)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2012
    But to be honest i liked combat, beacause of short matches, on the other side, nobody played the classic realy after that.
    So hate combat on one side and love it on the other.
    It has amazing moments at its time, same as classic mode had.
    Let me call it hate-love.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think there's some drawback in giving people an easily accessible game mode that teaches a mindset unsuitable for the actual main game. In some sense it's easier to learn NS directly than it is to learn terrible habits in combat and then try to adapt into NS. Also the frustration obviously adds up if you gauge your skill with combat success and then go into NS expecting similar triumph.

That being said I have no idea how much (if any) harm co did for the NS itself.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited February 2012
    This CO vs NS debate is complete pointless. There are (were?) exclusive servers for both modes so you can choose to play classic with people who also enjoy classic and vice versa. The main fact is, combat is suited for mainstream players, which normaly chew on titles like Call of Duty and similar no-brainers.

Overtime the NS playerbase was naturally shrinking and combat attracted new players but of different nature. So it supressed the classic mode which is a holy grail for players seeking somehow more complex experience. I think a mainstream player don't see a point in building structures and walking around for 2/3 of playtime and only 1/3 for fight. He wants action !!!! But this is not only about video games - look at the movies or music industry. Mainstream audience usually cannot appreciete something requiring too much thinking.

So I do agree with the NS2 compromise approach. It entertains me aswell, when I want to steam out I just enjoy the action part, when I want to relax or I am tired and my aim sux, I play support role. Its nice when everybody can find its favorite piece. And if anybody don't like it at all, he can make its own mod, and it can be exact copy of NS Classic 1.0 or whatever he wants :-)
  • incogincog Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18452Members, Constellation
    Nice necrobump, didn't know this thread existed ;P
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1904886:date=Feb 19 2012, 04:12 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 19 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But to be honest i liked combat, beacause of short matches, on the other side, nobody played the classic realy after that.
    So hate combat on one side and love it on the other.
    It has amazing moments at its time, same as classic mode had.
    Let me call it hate-love.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I totally agree with the above.
    I liked combat but felt that classic rapidly died right there after.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727822:date=Sep 18 2009, 02:41 AM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Sep 18 2009, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best thing about the early versions was the fear! People were kinda scared of all the aliens and if they saw an onos they just turned and ran, hahaha!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isn't that missing from NS2 at the moment? I feel like respawning is a bit too easy lately. In NS1 respawning was more "expensive" becouse of the longer travel time.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1904962:date=Feb 19 2012, 09:50 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Feb 19 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't that missing from NS2 at the moment? I feel like respawning is a bit too easy lately. In NS1 respawning was more "expensive" becouse of the longer travel time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People still run from Onos...maybe even more than they used to.

I'm definitely more afraid of them right up until the point where I hop over a railing and continue firing.
  • BonesXBonesX Join Date: 2007-02-04 Member: 59883Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1727964:date=Sep 19 2009, 12:40 PM:name=[WHO]Mr.Black)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Mr.Black @ Sep 19 2009, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Mine climbing <3

I don't remember when I started, but I was around for a loooooong time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or better yet. mines for a perch way up in a corner... Like setting up a Hunting Nest. Ah, Good Times.

<!--quoteo(post=1728245:date=Sep 21 2009, 08:24 PM:name=Dread)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dread @ Sep 21 2009, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah. First version was laggy as hell, no one knew what the hell they were doing and games lasted for HOURS...good times :)

I was a pretty decent comm back then. I liked to try different tactics, though usually I prefered a slower approach, filling the map with outposts and turret farms. Then I stopped playing for a while and when I came back in the newer versions, I got ejected in less than 3 seconds and called a n00b. Apparently there was only one universally approved tactic and deviating from it resulted in insults and people f4:ing.

Looking forward to start commanding again in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was in Cor| (Cordor Gaming) for a while and we did alot with waypointing maps for bots. We would intentionally put a guy in the commander chair that had never been there before and then talk em through it while we played. Good Times... I miss Grandma Juju (she literallly died while playing NS with us- Talked on the Mic the whole time she was waiting for the ambulance. NS is killer Fun!) RIP
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Combat was a real love hate relationship. On one hand, it did a lot of things great and on the other, some things not so great. But I think the biggest contributing factor to me falling out of love with combat was the plugins for it. Max levels ruined any enjoyment I could obtain from it.