Anyone else here oppose the Alien Commander?

xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
I dont want another mirror matchup like Counterstrike, same settings with a few changes like different guns and models.

I dont want another Starcraft with the commanders giving orders to units.

I've been playing NS since the beta and I was always intrigued how two sides could be so different but just as balanced as starcraft(most balanced game in the world). Sure the aliens have a steep learning curve but they still have an equal chance of winning games as marines do.

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The aCom won't place stuff. He's just delivering recon and influences creature statistics.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726488:date=Sep 8 2009, 06:15 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 8 2009, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The aCom won't place stuff. He's just delivering recon and influences creature statistics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    recon? that's what parasite and skulk scouting is for.

and i know parasite is not in ns2.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    All I can say (witch isn't much) is that we should all wait with making conclusions about the game untill we get to try it.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1726488:date=Sep 8 2009, 01:15 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 8 2009, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The aCom won't place stuff. He's just delivering recon and influences creature statistics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't quite accurate... The Gorge will drop some chambers but the Alien Commander will also share some of that responsibility.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chambers and how they relate to alien upgrades represent the weightiest change for the Gorge in NS2. Now there is an Alien Commander building technology structures, so Gorge-created structures won't unlock upgrades or abilities for other players. The unctuous chambers that the Gorge spits up will be purely tactical. These include the familiar Defense Chamber (automatically heals players or structures nearby) and the Offense Chamber (a kind of organic turret that shoots spikes, possibly renamed to Spike Plant).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Taken from the Gorge Reveal News posting.

But on the topic of opposing the Alien Commander: we know almost <i>nothing</i> about that class / species. It's definitely too early to make judgment on whether or not it's bad for gameplay.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726491:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I can say (witch isn't much) is that we should all wait with making conclusions about the game untill we get to try it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726491:date=Sep 7 2009, 10:22 PM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Sep 7 2009, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I can say (witch isn't much) is that we should all wait with making conclusions about the game untill we get to try it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFF
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I can say (witch isn't much) is that we should all wait with making conclusions about the game untill we get to try it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Meh, discussion is still cool. No need to insert pink bunnies into the game just to remove them a week later. Still, I'd like to see a bit more valid arguments against aComm if should be removed. No way it's going to be mirror matches with melee vs ranged and no way it's going to be any kind of point and click experience as long as players have their own will.

... And no way NS is that balanced. It's about 50-50 on 6 vs 6 now, but otherwise the game structure is still quite messed up and it still took them years to get it to this point. Playercounts mess up the balance terribly, the learning curves are very different, the games are often decided too early and last too long after the deciding blow and the alien teching is very much predictable in every way.

I could see alien commander as a potential solution to many of those issues. I like how the aliens work in NS, but then again I think I can learn to like the aComm if it manages to fix even some of the problems mentioned.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1726494:date=Sep 8 2009, 07:45 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Sep 8 2009, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QFT<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't get it?

<!--quoteo(post=1726495:date=Sep 8 2009, 08:33 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 8 2009, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QFF<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously, What's going on?
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    QTF means quote for truth. I basically couldn't say it any better so I quoted you.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I'm looking forward to an alien commander from a public server perspective. (dont care about competitive).

If we have an alien commander it means that it is no longer a drag to try and get people to build chambers, res, hive. One of the big problems with pub play. Now all they need to do is properly reward support classes and actions on the scoreboard so people are more willing to chomp res, healing as gorge etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726503:date=Sep 8 2009, 07:07 PM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Sep 8 2009, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(dont care about competitive).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    careful that can be considered heresy on these board :>
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726503:date=Sep 8 2009, 01:07 AM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Sep 8 2009, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(dont care about competitive).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Heretic, you will burn for your blasphemy!</b>
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726496:date=Sep 7 2009, 11:37 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 7 2009, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, discussion is still cool. No need to insert pink bunnies into the game just to remove them a week later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Screw that, everyone knows that Marines would run in terror if they saw a 12 foot tall pink bunny nomming on the CC. I say "hells yeah" to pink bunnies.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I'm all for new game content in a game that has evolved from what it was 8 years ago!

Bring on new game features in a new game in a new engine!
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726496:date=Sep 8 2009, 09:37 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 8 2009, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... And no way NS is that balanced. It's about 50-50 on 6 vs 6 now, but otherwise the game structure is still quite messed up and it still took them years to get it to this point. Playercounts mess up the balance terribly, the learning curves are very different, the games are often decided too early and last too long after the deciding blow and the alien teching is very much predictable in every way.

I could see alien commander as a potential solution to many of those issues. I like how the aliens work in NS, but then again I think I can learn to like the aComm if it manages to fix even some of the problems mentioned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The real QFT!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited September 2009
    NS1 is a crude game (starcraft fps joke-mod? think that's how it all started lol) that only through sheer nerfy-ness (leading to sheer-turtleness) does 40+ minute games occur. The alternative is a fast marine win, or a fast marine loose.

I'm hoping that the design for NS2 is to give both teams more options in fighting to make up for their weaknesses, or bad alien-sided maps (i.e. more powerful/accurate weaponry [an armslab that has infinite upgrade levels!!!]... tf turrets that kill ONI [also affected by armslab upgrades]... better healing armor... a sprint/tumble/summersault/backflip/dive key... cool mech-heavies with gatling gun + flamethrower + grenade-launcher arms etc [like in AVP2 xD] ). Oh and here's the kicker... i want for their to be a point where an expensive upgrade permits high-level weapons to be dropped free of charge. This will turn the end-game into sudden death for both teams regardless of res flow at that point in play.

So to counter the marines, the alien team will have some crazy bio-attacks [like Weskers swarming-tentacle/penis attack in resident evil 5] and whatever else is needed to allow for those insane-overkill marine toys.

With both teams so overpowered (and yet so susceptible to precision attack), the only thing that will win rounds will be smart commanding / tactics. Because sending just a few aliens to marine start could equal GG in NS2. So i'm hoping that is the reason their will be an alien commander.

For example i want to see the alien team just as susceptible to failure as the marine team is with a bad commander! I want to do away with NS1-alien-gameplay which is total chaos attacking every marine + marine-structure in sight that always leads to instant win, against the marine team (where the marine team can only move as fast as their commander, and is crippled if they loose 2 recently placed rts early in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1)
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726508:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:53 AM:name=[WHO]Mr.Black)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Mr.Black @ Sep 8 2009, 04:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Screw that, everyone knows that Marines would run in terror if they saw a 12 foot tall pink bunny nomming on the CC. I say "hells yeah" to pink bunnies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suggest they use a mini-lop style bunny instead of your standard rabbit, for maximum cuteness
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    I oppose the oppose!
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726487:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:10 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Sep 8 2009, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else here oppose the Alien Commander?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

negative..
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    It is a good feature of Natural Selection that the teams are different yet balanced, however lets not lose our heads here. There's still plenty of asymmetry to go around here. Humans still don't evolve to higher life forms. Aliens still don't wear heavy armor. Lerks still fly and marines still mine. There are plenty of differences, and I'm fairly confidence that in ns2, nothing will change in that sense. They know perfectly well the best points of natural selection.

Besides, not even said that the alien commander will be anything like the human commander.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726487:date=Sep 8 2009, 03:10 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Sep 8 2009, 03:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont want another mirror matchup like Counterstrike, same settings with a few changes like different guns and models.

I dont want another Starcraft with the commanders giving orders to units.

I've been playing NS since the beta and I was always intrigued how two sides could be so different but just as balanced as starcraft(most balanced game in the world). Sure the aliens have a steep learning curve but they still have an equal chance of winning games as marines do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are wrong.
    90% of todays NS's games Marines are victorious.
    And this fact only exists because <b>there's no commander in the Alien side to manage the res of them team correctly</b>.
    How many alien res ######s do you see today? The team urgently needs a new hive and the only idiot in the team with 50+ res spends it with 1 hive Fade.
    If you don't want a commander for the Aliens team, at least ask them to put some mechanism where players can donate res to other players.
    Giving res to the proper player can be critical to the victory or defeat of Alien team.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1726504:date=Sep 8 2009, 11:24 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Sep 8 2009, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->careful that can be considered heresy on these board :><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    bring it on, then.

competive is the hiv-cancer that ruins the experience for noncompetive players. in any game.
    yes, the competive scene may help it to stay afloat longer, but is it realy desirable to feed on moldy bread when it's clearly over it?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726544:date=Sep 8 2009, 03:20 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 8 2009, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bring it on, then.

competive is the hiv-cancer that ruins the experience for noncompetive players. in any game.
    yes, the competive scene may help it to stay afloat longer, but is it realy desirable to feed on moldy bread when it's clearly over it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The competitive scene is important even from a casual perspective. In a multiplayer game, the two are more related than diehards on either side like to admit. The competitive scene uses a large casual player base to develop a diverse clan scene from. The casual scene uses the insights of the competitive clans to discover the depth and balance of the game to keep it interesting and fair.
  • OpprobriousOpprobrious Join Date: 2008-11-17 Member: 65483Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726553:date=Sep 8 2009, 03:03 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Sep 8 2009, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The competitive scene is important even from a casual perspective. In a multiplayer game, the two are more related than diehards on either side like to admit. The competitive scene uses a large casual player base to develop a diverse clan scene from. The casual scene uses the insights of the competitive clans to discover the depth and balance of the game to keep it interesting and fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The "casual" scene doesn't DO anything. It certainly NEVER discovers the DEPTH of the game. That assertion is laughable. For example, outside of the gud server, it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to get armor 1 before the 4 minute mark. Getting armor 1 first has been the optimal baseline strategy for YEARS.

All balance, strategy and thought comes from the competitive(hardcore) scene. It's true in every game.

I think that "casual" is a misnomer for many of the people on this board. Cretin scene and competitive scene is a more accurate description of the divide. Often, the competitive community plays MUCH LESS NS than those players that frequently call themselves "casual" or "pubbers". Yet these competitive players are objectively more knowledgeable about game mechanics and have higher twitch skill.

The cretin scene, plays the SAME WAY MINDLESSLY, without thought or reflection. When someone with more knowledge about the basics attempts to help the "casual" player, his reward is anger and resentment. If the competitive player just dominates without attempting to provide remedial training to the cretins, he is often subjected to "hacking" witchhunts.

Attempts to pander to the players that "play causally" results in horrid community divides and unbalanced gameplay. That's what killed NS.

CS 1.6 is alive and well. Why? Because the gameplay is determined by those who seek optimal results. Not by those that buy autoshotties and camp T spawn for 3 minutes.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Heh, this is too flammable even for me to respond :)

Alien Comm opinions anyone?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726555:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "casual" scene doesn't DO anything. It certainly NEVER discovers the DEPTH of the game. That assertion is laughable. For example, outside of the gud server, it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to get armor 1 before the 4 minute mark. Getting armor 1 first has been the optimal baseline strategy for YEARS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Despite your assertion I've seen the casual scene change wrt to upgrade and chamber order and other strats over the years. I think you misunderstood my post though. I wasn't saying the casual scene discovers balance(except in rare cases that only apply to the casual scene) or depth, I was saying they <i>use</i> these insights discovered by the competitive scene.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo(post=1726555:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Sep 8 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that "casual" is a misnomer for many of the people on this board. Cretin scene and competitive scene is a more accurate description of the divide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People like you with attitudes like that are the reason many casual players resent the competitive scene. :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1726561:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:15 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Sep 8 2009, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People like you with attitudes like that are the reason many casual players resent the competitive scene. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I should spend more time pandering?

As you are well aware, the competitive scene tried extremely hard to improve it's image. #farmteams, NSlearn, NS guides, etc.

You name it, it was tried.

The reality is that it isn't personality clashes that created the divide. It is a casual scene that blames it's inadequacies on "scripts and hacks" rather than trying to improve their own gameplay. Extremely friendly competitive players are routinely singled out for abuse on public servers, just due to their HUGE skill advantage.

Casual players just want to win games. Anyone that can dominate them will be resented. That's it.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726496:date=Sep 7 2009, 11:37 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 7 2009, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No need to insert pink bunnies into the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey now, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726560:date=Sep 8 2009, 04:01 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Sep 8 2009, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Despite your assertion I've seen the casual scene change wrt to upgrade and chamber order and other strats over the years. I think you misunderstood my post though. I wasn't saying the casual scene discovers balance(except in rare cases that only apply to the casual scene) or depth, I was saying they use these insights discovered by the competitive scene.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dispute that assertion.

They don't use the insights found in the competitive scene.

Go on to your average pub(Not <gud>).

Observe the upgrade order, the base build, the speed at which requests are answered. 99% of players that play in a competitive style were part of the competitive scene.

The ONLY thing that the public servers have aped is the MC first standard. That generally started when aliens were able to use/spit hives with ff OFF. That change to the game was ADDED after observations of the competitive scene. The MC first started in the competitive scene, were aliens with ff on could attack building hives in order for aliens to movement over.
This discussion has been closed.