Does anyone live in WA state?

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I think somethings wrong with my internet.</div>Okay, I moved from Wisconsin, to Spokane WA as some of you are aware and in Wisconsin I had pings to chicago of like, 30, to new york of about 70, texas to about 65, yadda yadda

In spokane, I ping 200 to east coast servers, 100+ to Socal servers, but strangely, 55 to L.A. 20ish to seattle, and I can't figure out if its one of the following factors. Even servers in the mid-west like, wyoming, dakotas, wisconsin, all ping 120+. Which, to me, is completely unacceptable.

1.)Bad routing
2.)comcast sucks balls
3.)my wireless connection is ###### up(doubting this, since when i put a wire in the results were the same)
4.)Mystery reason

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Your ping to certain locations went up when you moved far away from those locations, and the ping to closer locations stayed good? AMAZING.

That's how the Internet works.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Tycho's right. That's pretty consistent with the laws of physics, I think.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Hardware / Exchange configs will be different.
    If it's anything like my experience with net over here in Australia, I swap my modem out and my ping drops by 1/2...
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited September 2009
    No no no. I mean like, My ping to West Virginia being 140+, while my ping to New York City being 80. What.

I know the whole distance ping factor, but some of them seem completely broken. 80 Pings to Oregon but 40 to San Francisco, etc.

(do you guys really think I'm that dumb? :< )
    Tried different hardware?
    Update firmware on what you do have?

Perform tracert's to various locations and submit a fault with your ISP after doing the above?
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Yeah a tracert should help to determine where the bottle neck is. Also, I tend to operate under the assumption that most people are a smart as me meaning that they have trouble with pretty simple concepts. So...
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    Packet routes don't necessarily make a lot of sense when you look at them on a map. I'm not an expert. But in theory you could get wildly different pings from two computers that are relatively near each other that are simply on different ISP's.

I remember I had Qwest many years ago here in Washington and more traffic than I'd like was sent off to the eastern half of the United States before being routed back to the west coast. Completely befuddling.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I once did a traceroute to a Danish server about 80 km away from where I am. I was being routed through the UK.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    yeah i did some tracerts, it's forwarding traffic bound for new york straight there, but traffic to like virginia, is going south through cali first >>

Oh well.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I once had SBC route all my stuff into canada and then back in via the northwest somewhere.
    It took one phone call to resolve.

I just called them and was nice and i got the fact that i didn't live in Alberta into their system and suddenly Bam magically routed more sanely.

So, its not that uncommon. though Embarq, back when they were sprint, has refused to change me unless I upgraded to a business package of greater cost, which I did but with a different company.

oh and make sure you aren't losing bandwidth somewhere, roommates, unsecured wireless etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726541:date=Sep 9 2009, 04:57 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Sep 9 2009, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah i did some tracerts, it's forwarding traffic bound for new york straight there, but traffic to like virginia, is going south through cali first >>

Oh well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And if this is causing issues with your connection to said destination, higher than normal pings, games unplayable you CAN raise a service fault (at least in my situation I can with my ISP) to have it looked into. Companies are a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" "If no-one reports it. let's leave it!" when it comes to routing.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    ignoring all the other evidence above, whenever 2.)comcast sucks balls is an option, I always pick that option. I have such a vendetta against them.
    Yeah, comcast blows. I get a like, 100k down, 100k up during peak, then 6megabit down 100k up later at night. Bill's in my roommates name, so I guess I'm stuck.