DI : How would you react if canceled

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I'd be seriously disappointed.

But what makes some of you think the DI video showed Max's engine?
    Flayra described it as "infestation geometry is procedurally generated over a standard Half-Life 2 BSP level".
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724978:date=Aug 25 2009, 04:59 PM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Aug 25 2009, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be seriously disappointed.

But what makes some of you think the DI video showed Max's engine?
    Flayra described it as "infestation geometry is procedurally generated over a standard Half-Life 2 BSP level".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Man, it was so long ago I'll have to go digging through podcasts and posts. I'll post a reference here when I find one. This has been mentioned multiple times by devs though.

Edit: well it didn't take <i>that</i> long:
    <!--quoteo(post=1656424:date=Oct 17 2007, 07:17 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Oct 17 2007, 07:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1656424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes the dynamic infestation video we showed was using my engine, which can load HL2 BSP levels. We used that instead of Source for the initial experimentation with dynamic infestation since my engine is designed to make it easy to rapidly prototype things (not to mention we hadn't gotten access to the Source engine yet). We're also using my engine for the texture tool we mentioned at the end of podcast #5, so you'll be seeing more of it soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Ah cool, forgot about that.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Great, thanks for looking up that info.
  • Tek JansenTek Jansen Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68171Members
    I'd be disappointed, but certainly wouldn't stop me from giving back to Flayra and co for so many years of free NS.

On further thought, I'd actually love if it physically restricted hallways, not to the point where they couldn't be passed, but maybe the walls close in more which would aid the aliens in a close up in your face fight, no?
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724937:date=Aug 25 2009, 08:23 AM:name=Scribbles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scribbles @ Aug 25 2009, 08:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jeah, the problem would be if it got a little too dynamic and started blocking off vents. You could fix that by making it so it couldn't get too thick, though, and design maps so there's always a little spare room in narrow corridors.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why not make it so aliens can pass through it... It'd make awesome cammo.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited August 2009
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Denial would be my reaction.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8</a>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1725054:date=Aug 26 2009, 12:12 PM:name=[WHO]Mr.Black)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Mr.Black @ Aug 26 2009, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Why not make it so aliens can pass through it... It'd make awesome cammo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bit hard to see where the vents are though.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Honestly, I wouldn't care. The dynamic infestation is just a delighter to me. That is, it's an interesting feature they're putting in, but really it has no relevancy to my desire to play NS2.

On the other hand, if multiplayer was axed, or if the gameplay changed so radically that strategic teamwork was not necessary... I'd be up the walls.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Instead of making the infestation thick/hard for marines to move through, I would suggest adding a fog effect in infested areas...That could obscure marine vision a little without impeding the kharaa (going by the alien flashlight in NS1) - and besides that, it would add to the game's atmosphere (pun intended)

We don't really know what the infestation will look like yet..the demo video was proof of concept for its generation...the art itself would be a placeholder
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1725150:date=Aug 26 2009, 05:18 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Aug 26 2009, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead of making the infestation thick/hard for marines to move through, I would suggest adding a fog effect in infested areas...That could obscure marine vision a little without impeding the kharaa (going by the alien flashlight in NS1) - and besides that, it would add to the game's atmosphere (pun intended)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The idea of making it harder for marines to see in an area is a cool idea. I don't think it's a good DI replacement, but I certainly like the idea of sitting in the fog watching as a marine walks around acting really nervous... with no idea that you're so close. Same kind of idea with ambushing / dark spots on the map, but, if done well, you are right in saying it could add to the atmosphere.

Also your pun is terrible and I hate you.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don't really know what the infestation will look like yet..the demo video was proof of concept for its generation...the art itself would be a placeholder<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This I think is completely incorrect. Yes they will probably tweak it to make it look better, but we have already seen it and it is in the trailer and everything. It's not going to look too different.
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    Maybe we will find out in the tools?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1725157:date=Aug 26 2009, 08:35 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Aug 26 2009, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This I think is completely incorrect. Yes they will probably tweak it to make it look better, but we have already seen it and it is in the trailer and everything. It's not going to look too different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Went back and looked at the video again, and it does look better than i remembered it...Still, I'm sure they're not done tweaking it...I still say we can't know from that video alone what the visual effect will be on the game. Yes, the color scheme and general patterns are pretty much guaranteed, but there are other questions the video doesn't answer. For example, will it grow wider branches in areas near a hive or resource node? How fast will infestation spread in game? how thick will the infestation be, and will players clip through it?

The fog could easily be explained by saying that it's bacteria/infestation suspended in the air

Oh and no, I don't think DI would be canceled. There's no basis for the OP, shame on you :P
    if it was removed I'd still expect the game to be good. None of this whiny 'if DI doesn't make it in i want my money back' stuff.
  • Butcher66Butcher66 Join Date: 2009-08-19 Member: 68532Members
    edited August 2009
    /me dies.
    The game wont be the same without DI.
    Not after we got a taste of what it would be like! the awesomeness!

its truly revolutionary!
    i haven't seen any other game with this kind of innovation!
    Its truly unique!

Dont get me wrong i would still play the game, ill just miss the DI
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    It would be really cool to have, but definitely not game breaking. Wouldn't care too much if it wasn't there for release but was still on the to do list.
    The reason I don't care about DI, I think, is that I have never really been able to "see" how it would add to the gameplay. It's one of those ideas that I fear might just add extra complication to the game without deepening the game experience at all... and if it does deepen it, I fear it will increase the difficulty curve.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1725226:date=Aug 27 2009, 07:02 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Aug 27 2009, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason I don't care about DI, I think, is that I have never really been able to "see" how it would add to the gameplay. It's one of those ideas that I fear might just add extra complication to the game without deepening the game experience at all... and if it does deepen it, I fear it will increase the difficulty curve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the gameplay with DI sucks, then they should just make it cosmetic. It definitly adds a lot to immersion cause you get a territorial feeling (esp. if in the enemy territory, makes you wanna travel in a squad!). I hope you get what I mean :D
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Would be awesome if the infestation filled areas would be very dark and a bit foggy.

Also hoping for ultra sweet alien vision modes. Like a special infrared vision highlights living organisms just like in NS1 with alien flashlight. I would suggest the Splinter Cell games AND predator movies for inspiration. That's it! I'm making a thread about it! ...maybe later.
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    Well maybe if the marines step on the infestation, it would show the aliens where they are, if they are on it.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited August 2009
    Am i the only one who thinks charlie has created a fakenick to ask that question? :D No im just kidding

i think id be nice if the rines would leave a line of footsteps in the di, just like walking through about 20cm of fresh snow. The di slows rines for x%. After some seconds the di fills up the "footstep-holes" to the original hight again. I guess that would look pretty nice.

Sorry 4 my bad english.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    Hehe, no I am not Charlie, it was just to ask ... to see reactions of everybody.

And I noticed that some people does not care about DI, that suprises me...
  • alfie275alfie275 Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68602Members
    My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, is that mappers will be able to detect infestation and use it to trigger events, such as turning off lights, depowering parts of the power grid, anything that can be triggered.
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    To me, DI is a nice-to-have cosmetic effect but the game would be fine without it.

However, this is probably because I haven't seen all of the dev's plans for how to implement the DI into actual gameplay. I have no idea if those are good or bad, but it could turn out that DI-based gameplay is just the best thing since sliced bread. Or it could turn out that the effects of DI on gameplay are really minor and easily replaceable. I'll have to wait and see when they release more I guess.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Seeing how we don't really know what DI does from a gameplay perspective, and seeing how I don't care about atmosphere, I would be indifferent to its removal.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    So I can see that post was not totaly away from the reality, I bought the game in large part for the DI effect, so I am happy to know it is not removed...
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Yes, better not remove the good ideas :P

But now I would like to know which stuff has been cut.... I guess theres more except then the tazer.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If you cancel your order on the premise of no dynamic infestation, I only hope you don't cancel life when you find out you can't have kids.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1725123:date=Aug 26 2009, 05:06 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Aug 26 2009, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, if the gameplay changed so radically that strategic teamwork was not necessary... I'd be up the walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, and please finish some sort of JP and HA, even if they are just like the old ones.

A flame thrower would be a bonus.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724976:date=Aug 25 2009, 04:48 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Aug 25 2009, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DI won't be removed no matter what. However, if it turns out to be too CPU/GPU intensive, then they may scale back what DI looks like and how it determines where to grow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no way. I dont care if I get 10 fps (Which Nobody will get) but DI taking over the map and causing lag will be a part of the experience. Don't scale back, if anything make it overtake marine buildings so they cant use them and just grow over them!