Scoreboard avatars

CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">choose an icon to place next to your name</div>This actually came to me while posting in the NS2 Achievements thread, but it has much wider spread.

<b>The concept:</b>
In NS we had a space for a small icon next to our name. It might have been an NS Playtester icon, a Constellation member, a Veteran or a Dev.

Why not expand this for NS2? It'd be great if you could choose an icon that you feel best describes you from a wide variety of stock images. You could have a Gorge next to your name, or a TSA insignia, or perhaps the UWE Fade Eye. Or maybe you still want to wear your Constie symbol with pride?

I see the groups of icons being divided into three types: <b>Special icons</b>, <b>Game icons</b> and <b>Achievement icons</b>.

<b>Special icons</b>
These must be assigned by the devs to specially selected individuals or membership groups.

Examples:
- UWE
- NS2PT
- Constie
- other special awards the team might want to create

<b>Game icons:</b>
These feature iconic elements of the game and mostly recycle existing GUI assets to minimise art overheads.

- UWE 'Fade Eye'
- TSA insignia
- 'II' clawstrokes
- Alien Commander
- Onos
- Fade
- Lerk
- Gorge
- Skulk
- JP
- Heavy Armour
- Welder
- HMG
- Flamer
- Shotgun
- LMG
- Pistol
- Knife (as a retro throwback)
- Siege Cannon (as a retro throwback?)
- MASC

<b>Achievement icons:</b>
Each Achievement has an icon. Once an Achievement has been successfully completed, the icon is unlocked for the player to bear.

<b><i>The icons could also work on a meta level.</i></b> Examples:
- A clan/community decides to all have the same icon, so when they join a server people know they are from the same group.
- A Marine shows their preferred kit (so the Commander can upgrade the tech tree in the path that suits the majority?)
- An Alien shows what preferred class they are going to evolve to
- A player chooses an Achievement icon to indicate proficiency in a particular area (e.g. a 'Win 50 matches as Marine Commander' achievement icon could be used to show that this person is willing to command)

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cool idea even though I figured that they would be using the steam community avatars. Depends how far the steamworks integration is.

Maybe there could be an option for that. Although it would kinda defeat the purpose of the achievement and constellation ones because people could just make that their community icon..

The retro icons would be a cool and fun idea.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm more in favor of armor gimmicks, like high decorated veterans run about in real life.
    of course it'd be in form of a display on their chest, textures look well enough for that and you could disable it as well.

Aliens'd need tattoos or something but that'd look silly if done wrong.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    I have the one of the best avatars on this forum.

TRUTH.

(And one of the best signatures... historically.)
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I don't really care much for this idea... either way is fine.

I am however against the idea to have Alien lifeforms or Marines Equipment next to your name since it may create confusion for newer players.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    I like that how veterans walk around highly decorated. Maybe players should have those in the ready room.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I believe the Empires mod (the hl2 version of natural selection :P), has already implemented your idea. In short they use your steam-name in game and your steam-icon is visible next to it.

It's a pretty cool idea btw. Maybe to expand it further (since it's sort of like a buddy-list in a chat program) their should be a way to do personal-messages to other players in game... and yes a way to block some players that use it to spam :P. So people, without mics, can send a text-message to one of the several commanders we will have (or however that will work). Or just add the avatars and forget what i said on the chat thing xD
  • Clueless_SheepClueless_Sheep Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46285Members
    Im not a big fan of the idea, i wouldnt be fussed if it did come into action but i think id rather it didnt.
    I seem to recall the devs saying there wouldnt be and Consti for NS2, so mabey there wont be consti icons anymore.