I can guarantee that the pistol...

13»

Comments

• spaztickspaztick Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68626Members
    I am wanting the knife, because I want my Onos knife kills.
  • Space_CowboySpace_Cowboy Join Date: 2007-01-23 Member: 59722Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1725071:date=Aug 26 2009, 01:32 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Aug 26 2009, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spawn.
    Grab 50 extra LMG ammo.
    Lead with Pistol, kill 2 Skulks or wound 1 to 5/10 HP.
    Fastswitch to LMG, kill 2/3 more Skulks (unless the third cloaked behind me somehow).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is this a joke or are you playing against stationary bots? Even quite good players will struggle to get 5 kills with lmg/pistol combo against good skulk opponents, not that it doesn’t happen but it’s somewhat rare.
    To me it sounds as you just making things up to prove your point, the pistol have never and will never be the main weapon in ns. Nevertheless the pistol is a great and rather iconic weapon in ns; no one can say they haven’t felt the satisfaction in pistol wiping a fleeing fade with the last bullet in your pistol.

<!--quoteo(post=1725071:date=Aug 26 2009, 01:32 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Aug 26 2009, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most times I have played, as Marine Commander and a Field Marine, Weapon Upgrades 1 is usually the first thing you always get within the first 2 minutes of the game. It just makes the Pistol that much more powerful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sry but the first upgrade, nearly every good commander will upgrade from armslab, is a1 not w1.
  • OpprobriousOpprobrious Join Date: 2008-11-17 Member: 65483Members
    edited August 2009
    Let's recap:

*No personal attacks* --Comprox
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1725682:date=Aug 31 2009, 11:35 AM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Aug 31 2009, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's recap:

FocusedWolf uses a touchpad and is constantly claiming that "marines are underpowered"
    Jimd doesn't play NS anymore and apparently doesn't know what weapon draw time is.

Why is ANYONE listening to these morons?

This is the quality of the source of most of the suggestions on this forum. Absolute ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Weapon draw time is less than 2 seconds, very manageable if you use your sound to anticipate where the enemy is around the corner.

Sound = Auditory Wallhack.

Nice Try. My point still stands. The NS1 Pistol is overpowered in the NS1 early game, and they shouldn't copy+paste it right into NS2.

SAY NO TO SNIPER PISTOL.

<!--quoteo(post=1725280:date=Aug 27 2009, 05:41 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Aug 27 2009, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is quite reasonable, assuming you have a good hallway or the skulks don't all come at the same time. One after another before you can reload, though? Sure, it's more than possible. Even if you miss a lot of the spray on the third skulk, you should be within one knife hit of killing it.
    <b>I can't say I'd pull it off every single life of every game, but if you're careful and the skulks aren't, it's cake.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bolded for truth.
    edited August 2009
    *I was going to selectively edit your post, but really, the whole thing was insulting and condescending. Be nice about your arguments.* --Comprox
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited August 2009
    In long range combat the pistol is indeed very powerful, and if you've ever played modded marine versus marine gameplay you probably found that it was easily the primary weapon over the LMG. However, aliens typically do not fight at long range, <i>to the extent that much of alien gameplay strategy is focused precisely on avoiding or preventing such encounters</i>. The reason the pistol isn't overpowered against aliens is that you're almost always fighting aliens in close quarters.

If you're defending against skulks running across a large room or corridor (or vent), then indeed you probably want to open with the pistol (but keep in mind a bunnyhopping celerity skulk can cross most rooms in seconds). If you're counter-sniping parasiting skulks, spitting gorges, or sporing lerks, you'll use the pistol. Most battles in NS, however, do not fit these scenarios, and in most situations the LMG is your primary weapon.
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1725686:date=Aug 31 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Aug 31 2009, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*I was going to selectively edit your post, but really, the whole thing was insulting and condescending. Be nice about your arguments.* --Comprox<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Can you show me where the rules say we can't use condescending arguments? What was insulting in my post?

Basically this sums up the problem with the NS community.

Very poor leadership. He'll go out of his way to delete the posts from people with knowledge. NS2 lost another customer.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1725695:date=Aug 31 2009, 03:24 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Aug 31 2009, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you show me where the rules say we can't use condescending arguments? What was insulting in my post?

Basically this sums up the problem with the NS community.

Very poor leadership. He'll go out of his way to delete the posts from people with knowledge. NS2 lost another customer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you feel that not being condescending is a problem, I think the wider customer base is probably better off to lose you.