Development Blog Update - Modding Q&A

2»

Comments

• CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Possibility for an NS tower defence mod?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Devs, please make sure you show 'pure' servers in the server browser.

I personally hate joining modded servers with stupid tweaks that ruin gameplay, so I'd love to avoid them entirely.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724074:date=Aug 21 2009, 09:08 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Aug 21 2009, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Devs, please make sure you show 'pure' servers in the server browser.

I personally hate joining modded servers with stupid tweaks that ruin gameplay, so I'd love to avoid them entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They mentioned in an earlier update plans to have a tab for "vanilla" and "modded" servers in the server browser window.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724074:date=Aug 20 2009, 06:08 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Aug 20 2009, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Devs, please make sure you show 'pure' servers in the server browser.

I personally hate joining modded servers with stupid tweaks that ruin gameplay, so I'd love to avoid them entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That may be close to impossible to do.

Your average garrysmod server is running many layers of mods... even if it only tags itself (in the serverbrowser) as "1" specific mod being run. Example... it might have a hoverboard or stargate weapons or various spacebuild sub-mods or some special NPCs...

If a server has some scripts running for admin abuse or whatnot... then an effective filter would see this as non-vanilla.

If their are mods that only last for the duration of the map...but was a vanilla map when you first joined... then you will be doing plenty of rage quitting in search of a pure vanilla server, when the server changes from ns_hera to xe_space_walk.

Think of how many servers will be having small tweaks to the damages of various marine weapons secretly without you knowing... but still say "Vanilla Server" in the title. Doing it to make it more like NS1 where guns were throughly nerfed.

I for one would rather see NS2 full of custom content then stagnant like NS1 is nowadays.... I can't find one freekin siege server!!!! that runs siege maps!!! ... (sure do miss the [IAM] clan siege server...)
  • GoulderchaufGoulderchauf Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63935Members
    Great post, can't wait to see some of the crazy possibilities that will arise from the ease of access for modders :)

A couple of questions from me, with level design in mind:

Will it be possible to set certain world elements such as brushes and models to be invisible to the commanders? This way it could be possible to add details to the ceilings/sides without impeding the commanders view and from placing items where the commander intends to place.

Will there be any possibilities for importing .map mapping files from other level design tools?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1724465:date=Aug 22 2009, 09:52 AM:name=Goulderchauf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Goulderchauf @ Aug 22 2009, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will it be possible to set certain world elements such as brushes and models to be invisible to the commanders? This way it could be possible to add details to the ceilings/sides without impeding the commanders view and from placing items where the commander intends to place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In NS1, there was a brush entity that did exactly what you're talking about, which I think was called func_seethrough. With that in mind, I would expect the same sort of thing to appear in NS2.
  • NoOtherDestinyNoOtherDestiny Join Date: 2003-07-31 Member: 18627Members
    Yes, an option for Vanilla servers would be great.

I just don't want to get on the server browser and see 1000 servers where 50 are vanilla and the rest are just random mods/tweaks which I'd likely not want to play.