Some stuff I agree and don't agree with.

xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
First of all, I would like to open up the concept of the Alien Commander. I do not agree with this idea. Gameplay between the two races should be entirely different. I really liked how NS1 handled the differences while keeping the game balanced. The thing that most intrigued me about these kinds of real time strategies is how races can be so different from one another but remain balanced. The commander should and always be a marine exclusive. Maybe the Alien Commander is a good on different game mode but please do not put that in the actual game mode. Marines listen to one person to execute his strategy as for the aliens, it should be more of a mutual team effort each with individual roles. I know nubs at pubs would be an issue but since when has it not been an issue?

I really like the concept of dynamic infestation. As being the marines, they are the attacking side to try and retake control of the ship they lost to the aliens hence why aliens win after timer in CO maps. If marines decide to turtle, the aliens control more of the map passively giving them the advantage. I suggest that the longer the game goes, the more accelerated the infestation becomes because since marines will acquire the technology to destroy infestation, slow infestation becomes just ridiculous. The initial infestation should be really slow and as the game goes on, the acceleration speeds up. This would keep the game fast paced having players jump around all over the map. This encourages marines to stay on the offensive to lock down key points of the map.

I also like the concept of power grids. It gives res towers and areas of the map more of a priority to control and hold to stabilize economies and map control.

Strategy revolves around the concepts of:
Economy
Technology
Units (in this case, lifeforms or weapons)
Individual Player Skill

I would like to see more strategies become viable based on these concepts. Maybe a team would want to go for an economic strategy so that they can dominate mid and late game but have a shaky early game.
Maybe a team would like to rush technology so that they can acquire (in this case, weapons, upgrades, hives, chambers, and lifeforms) for an advantage at the start but would have a bad economy mid/late game

I haven't been checking much on this game seeing how nothing is certain and what will be implemented.

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i like the idea about accelerated spread of infestation, but it should remain on the overall map control not on time. Meaning that the more the aliens control (RTs, infested areas, hive) the faster it will spread.

If you make it time based its like a win button and the aliens just have to wait until its pressed. though its easier to balance a game around the fact that the better team gets rewarded rather than based on a timer. if marines are too slowly in teching up (and aliens as well mayber) aliens should gain advantages to win the game? :(

and about the alien commander: opinions always wary from person to person :)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    NS1 aliens are limited to very little strategy. Early on their only aim is to get 2 or more people to 50 res and after that get some more people to it while denying marine res. There are some slight variations and such, but still the res peaks heavily dictate everything they do. The predictable alien strategy means that marines can play their own game without worrying about alien gameplay plan too much.

If the alien comm fixes the balance scalability and adds more variation to the alien strategy, it's definitely a step forward. I don't know if similar results could be achieved without adding the commander, but I definitely see the commander as a viable option and think it has got a lot of potential.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm okay with aliens have a comm since many public games suffer from a lack of leadership on the alien side. If they are organized, its usually one dominant player that is getting people together. Introducing the alien commander just formalizes this role and gives the team more direction.

It sounds like it will be different from the marine side where the alien comm isn't giving orders, just helping the team, adjusting stats, and scouting/spreading DI.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    Some tips on posting your opinions:

--One topic per thread, no one wants to read a large paragraph unless they know what its about

--Propose solutions, rather than just complain/praise.

--Title your thread interestingly and accordingly.