Insane, speedhack like speeds playing alone and laggy, buggy movement on "real" servers?

Dead-InsideDead-Inside Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31862Members
edited August 2009 in Tech Support
Right this is the strangest problem ever.

I'll start from the beginning I guess. I recently went to my moms, which is where I'm now, and obviously I've set up NS on her computer from being here before. So I was fixing my usual autoexec.cfg and everything worked fine. Then I turned off Write-combining for the video card (an ATI Xpress 200 series) thinking it might be Vsync, since at the time I actually didn't have that option anywhere. Now that didn't work too well, so I switched it back on.

Then I took a game of NS, and it... worked fine. But after that I haven't been able to play. I've reinstalled NS a couple of times, likewise I've installed the latest ATI drivers for the card a couple of times but really I have no idea what the problem is, or if it's even related to the above.

The symptoms are that I, and this I found out only after finally creating a server myself, run at I'd sat between 1.5x and 2x the normal speed of the game. On servers it seems that I run forward and then stop (I'm assuming the server is catching up with me telling me I could only have gone "this far"?) and get jerked back a little. Basically it's unplayable and could most certainly be seen as unfair against other players if it was. While trying to find a sollution to this I was also called a speedhacker on NSTalent 1 by homies, and I'd just like to make clear that I've never had any hacks for NS or any multiplayergame for that matter nor do I want it. I haven't DLd anything "funky", or indeed anything at all apart from a new NS install and a new driver since I got here a couple of days ago. This problem is frustrating as hell.

I took a short demo of me playing alone on a selfcreated server, and I hope it plays the same way it does for me (that is, you'll see turbospeed).
<a href="http://sharebee.com/8dd13c29" target="_blank">http://sharebee.com/8dd13c29</a>

I'll go take one on a regular server on request (Where I get jerked around and can't play at all). Anyone know what the hell this is about?

Thanks

Comments

• Dead-InsideDead-Inside Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31862Members
    edited August 2009
    Okay, so it turns out it's a conflict with the AMD X2 Athlon 3800+ that's in my mothers very crappy PC.

Basically you have to start the game, hit ctrl + alt + delete and set hl.exe to run on one core. Strangely this didn't work the first time I tried it but after a restart and a second try it did. Anyway, thread pretty much useless I guess, unless the demo gives someone some joy.