PC Speaker help

Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
<div class="IPBDescription">random volume</div>This happened almost month ago and now it's really annoying me:

When I turn the volume knob on my speakers, it only changes -VERY- slightly or not at all. If I turn it all the way down (not to off) it won't do much.

But then a few minutes later or at some random time, it will get very quite like it's supposed to be. Same with turning the volume up, it's delayed or wont do anything at all.

I can still adjust via the Windows volume control, but it's hard to change volume during a game or something like that.

Anybody have any clue on wth is exactly going on here?

5.1 surround sound system with a subwoofer and a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card.

I have already checked all the connections and they're all good.

Comments

• CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Have you tried testing with different hardware? eg try using a pair of headphones with a volume adjuster on.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    This is most likely some problem with the speaker knob not properly adjusting the variable resister that regulates voltage to the actual speaker, or the resistor or other circuitry with it has gone bad. Or it could be a problem with the speaker and its circuitry. Anyway you look at it, it's likely a hardware problem with the speakers themselves and something you won't be able to fix.

Try what CCC said and if it checks out, your speakers are probably bad. :(
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    If there's no warranty on 'em anymore and you or someone you know has a bit of insight into electronics, I say go nuts with a soldering iron.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I have the same problem with my headphones. Just have to get the volume knob into just the right position and then be careful not to jiggle it.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1720418:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:15 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Aug 2 2009, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have the same problem with my headphones. Just have to get the volume knob into just the right position and then be careful not to jiggle it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Headphones are very bad about that because of the size the circuits have to fit in and the quality given out of mass producing them. Solder doesn't normally do well when flexed around an ogre head or tossed down onto a table several times a day. Eventually, something will break lose and you'll get a short or an open circuit.
  • Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
    Thanks for your insight/info.

I think I'm going to just deal with it for a bit. Save up some cash and get a new 5.1 surround sound.

But before purchase, I'm going to take apart the speaker with the volume control knob and fiddle around with it. I know how to solder and I can get around some electrical stuff. I'm a game tech anyways for my job at a Dave and Busters so it's given me some actually helpful knowledge on this stuff. :)