I am moving

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
<div class="IPBDescription">and need to bring my desktop</div>I am flying out to Spokane, WA to move, and I *need* to bring my desktop with me. I don't have the money to ship it (lol 200+ dollars) I will be flying with US airways. I don't have a ton of stuff and I was hoping to basically put my case/monitor together with my clothing to pad everything. Anyone have experience in this department?

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    You're buggered.

All I can think of is this:
    Pack up the monitor and hope for the best.
    Disassemble your computer, wrap everything fairly well, and stick the pieces in your carry on (you can bring a nice sized carry on, but make sure to contact the airline ahead of time to make sure you have the proper dimensions). I would say that leaving your PSU and possibly mainboard in the case would be fine so long as you fill the case with something lightweight and shock resistant (packing peanuts?).

good luck, you will need it.

This is why I always drive when moving.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Good luck getting individually wrapped circuit boards through customs.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719554:date=Jul 27 2009, 03:34 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 27 2009, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good luck getting individually wrapped circuit boards through customs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hadn't thought of that.

yah. GFL, you need it.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    I also believe this to be a suicide mission. My only recommendation is to not do it. Find a way to make the shipping costs, you'll thank yourself later.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Its not an option. I need to bring it with, and I cannot drive my old crappy truck 1600 miles. I am not crossing any borders other than state lines, and US airways says they allow computers, but, Im not sure of how to pack it
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I think if you remove the vid card and any PCI cards, wrap the case in and plastic and clothes, and it'll have about as good of a chance as any of surviving. I've successfully carried glass bottles of liquid in my luggage so a PC has a chance. Luggage does have the potential to get tossed around/wet though.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    Call the airline and ask them about it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1719561:date=Jul 27 2009, 04:13 PM:name=KungFuDiscoMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KungFuDiscoMonkey @ Jul 27 2009, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Call the airline and ask them about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and ask about insurance also.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2009
    Yikes to get the 1600miles as a distance in this tiny country I live in, I would need to drive up and down (NE to SW and back again) about 8 times. Which could take in excess of 24hours!

Thank god our country doesn't have timezones > 1

Flying is dangerous for delicate luggage, if <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo" target="_blank">this YouTube</a> (Comprox FTW) is gonnah happen to you :(

I guess the monitor and case are going in the loading bay of the aircraft, wrapping it in heavy duty protective transportation armor thingies is your best bet...
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I wouldn't trust an airline with carefully handling anything remotely fragile. Can a computer count as carry on luggage? Is it too big?

It's been years since I last flew.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    I would consult the airline and find out your options.

Preferably you would be able to carry on the main cards, drives and RAM sticks of your PC on as individually wrapped hand luggage. I would definitely not recommend shipping all the stuff in the tower and hoping it survives. Better to take it separately and then put it all together at the other end for the price of a new case (unless you have space to ship the current case one in your suitcase).

Obviously, back up any important information to CD/DVD before you take any risks in shipping. It could be damaged or even confiscated.

And don't forget to earth yourself while handling any circuitboards.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I packed my tower in a suitcase assembled and with clothing all around to soften impact.

I took the monitor in a carry-on. Don't want broken glass.

Flew from California to Texas with a connecting flight, no problems. Granted, they did open up the one with the computer because PCBs look funny on the x-ray scanners.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I have already done this.

Keep the maximum amount of stuff in your case. Depending on your gear, that means remove the heatsink and your graphic card, basically anything massive that can act as a lever and bend the PCB's.
    Hope that you can bring your hard drive onboard (I don't see why not)
    I personally packed everything still in the case with some sort of shipping air bags (basically giant bubble-wrap), but any sort of protection that prevents it from budging, while being cushiony, is good, but stuff that can give out static discharges are to be avoided, obviously. I removed the heatsink because it was huge, and the graphics card. Both of these were wrapped in bubble wrap, and packed along with my clothes.
    I didn't care much for the optical drives, so they just stayed there, and my PSU seemed to stay in place. However (very rare) some cheap cases have their PSU's only holding by four screws on the back, but usually there's a protective rail that prevents the supply from simply falling when there's too much stress on the screws (and of course destroying everything along the way). This rails prevents said stress on screws, therefore it shouldn't be a problem if it's there.
    I guess that covers everything. As for the screen, I haven't tried (I was on a CRT back then) but I guess you should consider selling yours and purchasing one upon arrival, as an LCD panel is very fragile. If you want to try it anyway, what I would do is: first apply some sort of rigid protection over the screen to prevent an object from poking at the panel, then wrap it in bubble wrap. Same treatment as the rest.
    Of course, don't forget to put "Fragile" stickers on your luggage. They'll probably be ignored, but in the off-chance they aren't, they're free.

I'd like to say that this was done prior to 2001, so I suppose that rules have somewhat changed. However, I don't see the danger in checked luggage of a full-sized PC, along with one graphics card. In doubt, put equipment in different bags, basically make nothing look suspiciously like an IED.

Also note that, travelling by air, you probably have only 20kg of luggage per person, and excess luggage is VERY expensive. So expensive, in fact, that many people get shocked at airports and toss stuff out.
    Minor things to look for is the number of bags you're allowed to carry (checked and carry-on) and their size. Sometimes, especially on local flights, you're only allowed one checked luggage.
    Consider reselling/rebuy.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I assumed all the security machines you go through would do something horrible to the boards.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Moving to Spokanistan? Good luck dude. That place is hell on earth.

As for the computer just take the hard drive out, wrap it in 3 layers of bubble wrap, and put that somewhere. Then take your 3d card, stick it in an anti-static bag, stick that in a cardboard box not much bigger than the card, and fill all the empty space with bubble wrap. That'll be fine to. Padding the monitor with clothes also works as long as you make sure you've got lots of clothes (worst case scenario your bag is going to be tossed around, remember).

The case is the real problem. If you want, you can gut the thing, give all the components the bubble wrap treatment, and then not really worry, but I imagine that will take up too much space for you to do so. You might just have to take out anything that could come loose and smash around (usually just CPU heatsink) and then take the rest (including the case itself) and wrap it in as many clothes as you can. If everything is snug in the suitcase and is super padded I guess there isn't a ton to worry about.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Why not simply drive?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719558:date=Jul 27 2009, 10:06 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jul 27 2009, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I cannot drive my old crappy truck 1600 miles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's safe to say he has considered and rejected the idea.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I'm about to do a similar adventure... Though I could potentially ship it, if that would be safer.

Does anyone know if shipping it would be easier/safer than either carry-on or checked baggage?
    I don't really like the idea of shipping any of this, but I'd like my computer to be in one piece when I get there, and this includes two LCD monitors.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I have done it with out making any changes and had the machine survive. Only issue I has was that they bent the case frame:)

I honestly would try to cak it into a carboard box surrounded by clothes, etc and you will be fine its not like they are going to be taking sledge hammers to it. label teh sob as fragile and make damn sure that you have fragile all over the damn thing.

Finally get insurance if you can afford it.

make sure it covers computers.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719846:date=Jul 28 2009, 10:48 PM:name=Confused)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Confused @ Jul 28 2009, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]its not like they are going to be taking sledge hammers to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You didn't watch the video linked earlier, did you?
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719603:date=Jul 28 2009, 04:34 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 28 2009, 04:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assumed all the security machines you go through would do something horrible to the boards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've flown with a computer dozens of times, "security machines" do nothing. Laptop though, so got no advice for OP.
  • AnarkiThreeXSixAnarkiThreeXSix x_x Join Date: 2003-12-31 Member: 24894Members
    Only thing I can think of is removing everything out of the case and shoving it amongst clothing in your checked bags. Sell or store the case somewhere, and buy or find a cheapo case to hold everything in place till you can get a better one eventually.

I moved to San Diego from Chicago a week ago, luckily I had enough money to ship my assembled computer (in its original giant antec p180 packaging) minus a few parts which I shipped in another seperate box, and two LCD screens in their original packaging too. Everything arrived fine, except I had to reseat the CPU since it got jostled in shipping, aaaand one of my screens I needed to take apart and reconnect a connector that unplugged itsef during shipping aswell.

So if anyone is going to be shipping computers, expect little things like that to happen.

CWAG, shipping my entire rig cost ~100 bucks at USPS via Parcel Post, and thats from Chicago to SD, sure it took a week but it arrived in working condition after a bit of tinkering!
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719603:date=Jul 27 2009, 11:34 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 27 2009, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assumed all the security machines you go through would do something horrible to the boards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->They just fire light waves at the luggage, not electricity.
    <!--quoteo(post=1720278:date=Aug 1 2009, 05:51 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Aug 1 2009, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They just fire light waves at the luggage, not electricity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No.

Light and X-Rays are both forms of EM Waves, however that is where the similarities stop. Microwaves are also EM waves.

However, it is correct that x-rays will not harm computer parts. The only things I can think that they would hard would be film and yourself (that takes a good amount of time obviously).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Yeah, security scanning machines won't hurt your computer. Although the metal in the boards show up a giant black thingies, so typically they will open up the luggage and inspect it individually. That's why you have to send electronics like laptops and LCD screens through the x-ray for carry-on separately.

The real concern if them getting messed up by the luggage handlers. So, keep stuff padded or disassemble your stuff if you have a giant heatsink on there.