Natural Selection 2 News Update - Knife + Pistol = Taser?

Comments

• ljcrabsljcrabs Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62924Members
    I can't really imagine how this will play. Are the transponders unlimited ammo?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718758:date=Jul 22 2009, 09:06 PM:name=grepdashv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grepdashv @ Jul 22 2009, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever you do, don't have a melee weapon that continuously fires or that has a high rate of fire or that is any other way more effective at killing than the weakest Kharaa melee weapon. Otherwise, you're taking away one of the advantages that the Kharaa should have, and you're taking the marines out of character.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I highly doubt they would make that mistake.

Otherwise, a well thought out post. However, I think you're splitting hairs on obvious simplifications. I would like to believe that the devs knew about the situational nature of the pistol and knife as the weapon being used. Also, it sounds like they're trying to make this weapon situational as well with a charging feature and maybe multiple targets (probably at lower damage). If they made a mistake, I'm glad your post will point it out and so they can make sure to keep it balanced properly.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    Tase that Onos with bone shield!½

I wonder if lights could flicker if someone fired taser on them.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    So would you charge up the taser before firing the transponders for more damage, or do you fire them into the target, then continue holding down the fire button for damage over time?

I would assume transponders are unlimited ammo if this will replace the knife
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    While the idea of using tasers on aliens sets off my "This is stupid." reflex, seeing the presentation and concept make it sound acceptable.
  • poke0poke0 Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68111Members
    The compounding damage sounds nice as opposed to knifing or shooting a structure, but I'm worried about hive taser rushes :p. Aesthetically it doesn't seem very powerful, let alone powerful enough to kill an alien (but maybe there'll be more electricity when actually using it). I'd rather personally see the taser take the role of a welder over being just a primary melee. Knifing, as useful as it really is, looks pretty dumb when thinking about the game (I'm going to slash this structure to death, slice slice this fade or skulk). A minitorch or spark welder seems to fit more to me than a simple knife, especially with dynamic infestation.

As far as the shooting tasers out goes, will there be a wire attached to the unit so that if they go too far away it gets pulled off or is it wireless? I'm kinda torn that the sidearm isn't a long-range weapon (although it was pretty damn strong in NS, rapid firing, double lmg damage, and accurate). I would like to see some sort of long range alternative sidearm to the taser gun simply because most weapons are actually mid/close range and not long, with the pistol and lmg (mid-long, not that bad accuracy) being the only exception.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    edited July 2009
    Given that rock solid post by grepdashv on how essentially taser secondary doesn't solve the problems posed, just misplaces them, and the fact I'm truely not convinced this would be less actual work (although it might be charged as less just because it's only one model, dispite being twice as complex) than making a straight up pistol / knife combo, I can help but wonder if this is a good idea.

This isn't even mentioning that this, by being novel (and quite complex, with essentially 3 fire modes), will require significant testing and refinement.

Would also like to echo those who suggested that this isn't really in the spirit of the marine team (especially given ns1 taunts) and the back story. I thought the NS universe didn't subscribe to the exotic weaponary sci-fi stuff, but on solid militaristic options. The military doesn't carry tasers for a reason, they are never going to be as good at killing stuff as conventional weaponry.

That said, if you could make this taser type weapon not really be a taser that builds up charge, but instead a nano-tech weapon that strips away electrons from the target causing some very cool plasma / electric effects maybe I'd buy it. But standard taser, seems just a bit silly on reflection.

Final thing, I don't really see the point in using darts with electric charge (or however you want to describe them) instead of bullets for the primary / replace the pistol functionality, seems like it's just a rationalisation in order to allow for one weapon. You guys sure you didn't decide you wanted a taser knife combo and then come up with the reasoning posted in the blog to justify it?
  • FrostFire626FrostFire626 Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63207Members
    What a brilliant idea. This concept fulfills so many design requirements while remaining streamlined... one of the more inspired concepts i've seen thus far.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718700:date=Jul 23 2009, 05:14 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jul 23 2009, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it won't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    more importantly - will it replace the flamethrower?

To save even more time - why not add the electricity transponders to the LMG model? kind of like the way grenade launcheres are attached to assualt rifles - you'd tsill have to change weapons, like you do

The concept is great, and it sounds like it will bring out a lot of new gameplay options - can't wait to see how it works in game and how players will get creative with it.

BUT i gotta admit there was something bada$$ and desperate about pulling out a knife and going up against a creature the size of a tiger.

Also i feel that perhaps an electrified baton type device could be more cool looking (the taser is a bit wussy star treky) You hit things normally, but to damage structures you the hold the baton on it and pump it with eletricity - wit more damage over time just like the taser

EDIT #4: will the taser open up new game play options, such powering up doors and computers, control panels? the welder is for fixing physical things, but the taser could be used to modify electrical and computer items.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    I think thats a bold experiment, I like it. If you guys really can implement an interesting mechanism for doing multi-target chaining as you say then it could be great. You can always add a lowly pistol if need be. Go for it!
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm looking forward to see a bunch of marines electrifying a lerk in mid-air, by combining all their electric beams into one powerful bundle - ghostbusters-style

If it hadn't been stated in the text, just from the concept arts, i wouldn't have thought this to be a ranged weapon. Looks too much like an ordinary electric shocker. Maybe a laser pointer would help.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    While this might be a daft question, I have to query the amount of processing that would need to go in to handling the taser wires (they need to be visible), working out how they should "fall" over surfaces, and so on...

i.e. if you shot a lerk as it flew at you, the wires would then go slack as it approached and would land on any surfaces between you and the lerk

I'm not even sure if a "simplified" model, where the wires are "elasticated" to remain taught would work either, as you'd then have issues if the the opponent ran around an object (such as an RT), disappeared into a vent, or other players
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    I got to be honest, this is 50/50 with me, I'll wait for more details but this is what I am wondering...

<b>Questions:</b>
    - Is this <u>completely</u> replacing the Pistol/Knife/<b>Mine</b>?

- Can you only shoot two (2) "darts" at any given time? How will they recycle the previously deployed "darts"?

- If you shoot both of them on opposite walls facing each other, does it form an electric current connecting the two when the right mouse button is activated? I read about a wire connecting the two but wouldn't that be to obvious for the alien class? There is no element of surprise there, and would take no skill from the player in an attempt to avoid them.

- Can a team mates "darts" activate another team mates "darts" if they are both placed close to each other?

- Will you be able to swing the "Taser" in extremely close combat to defend yourself?
    This is a big question as the knife was key when you were face to face with an alien class as a heavy and had no ammo... how will the "Taser" work in face to face combat?
    <i>(ex: heavy with no ammo vs. a skulk. having to move around and try to shoot the skulk and activate the "darts" will be a lot more difficult then being able to swing your knife aimlessly. this may cause new comers(public servers) to be pushed away with the lack of defense in close combat for the marine class.)</i>

- Will this weapon be upgradable? If so, what type of upgrades are we talking about? More than 2 (assuming that's the base maximum) "darts" allowed to be shot at a given time? More damage inflicted? Larger area to activate the electrical charge? hmmmm...

- Can these "darts" be disabled or de-activated by the alien class? The mine object in NS1 could be activated and exploded by a gorge very easily. Will the "darts" carry the same functionality as the mine?

- Do the "darts" need to be activated by the player or will they be activated by the player and when coming in contact with the alien class without the marines knowledge?

Hopefully none of these have been asked/answered... :)
  • mylastbreath1912mylastbreath1912 Join Date: 2009-07-22 Member: 68236Members
    GREAT! I love it. I want to hear more about the aliens though!!
  • johnny truantjohnny truant Join Date: 2008-03-09 Member: 63827Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Wicked idea guys, loving it!

I think I know what weapon i'll be using 24/7 now as well :D
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718758:date=Jul 22 2009, 04:06 PM:name=grepdashv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grepdashv @ Jul 22 2009, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, the solution is not to give players a <i>melee</i> weapon. The solution, at the most basic level, is to give players a weapon that does not run out of ammo. Typically, such weapons are implemented as melee weapons, but that need not be the case. Another reason to make the "weapon of last resort" a melee weapon is that such weapons have a significant disadvantage in terms of range. For better or worse, the Kharaa rely heavily on melee attacks, so it would make sense for the marines to lack melee attacks altogether or to be limited to very weak melee attacks. The NS1 knife was far from weak, and the "chance" of a marine killing a skulk in a melee battle was far too high, given that such combat should have given the Kharaa a significant edge (as a reward for living long enough to get that close).

Whatever you do, don't have a melee weapon that continuously fires or that has a high rate of fire or that is any other way more effective at killing than the weakest Kharaa melee weapon. Otherwise, you're taking away one of the advantages that the Kharaa should have, and you're taking the marines out of character. And, don't muddle in problem #3 with the others, as they are basically unrelated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not make it so that every weapon within NS2 as a Marine can be "swung" or used to defend yourself. Think about reality here, in combat you can swing anything to defend yourself. Gun, Knife, Rifle, GL, Welder, Fork, Spoon... whatever it is, everything can be "swung" and used as a weapon. Why not make everything able to be used as a melee weapon for the Marine class? It will inflict very little damage, but still provide your protection under any circumstances...
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    just wondering, will the taser go around corners if the enemy runs around one?
  • psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
    I'm not sure what to really think of this so far. I guess I 'll have to wait for more info before I can really express an opinion.

I do like the design though.

I'm a little worried as this game is supposed to come out this year, but it doesn't seem like the game is very far along at all. I think a delay is inevitable.
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718727:date=Jul 22 2009, 08:48 PM:name=wouho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wouho @ Jul 22 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe burning the buildings or some thing, or some sort of a equipment thats single purpose is to destroy buildings quickly (but not too quickly to upset the balance of the game, and still allow aliens to respond). For most parts this seems to try to "solve" the problem of a single marine (or a group) seeing an alone resourse tower and beginning to knife it, this does need some kind of a solution, just personaly don't think a "tazer" as for destroying buildings is such a great idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some people clearly can't accept non-spoken concepts or truths. Taking down buildings will always be easier with a real gun than a mellee type weapon, especially when that big gun is a heavily researched one. No-where in this article is it even suggested that the first course for taking down buildings will be to taze them. This article is an in depth insight to an extremely well thought new angle on the "what do we give people that need to conserve ammo or have no ammo?" problem. It's sad that it even needs to be said, repeatedly no doubt.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personaly I like that pistol, just make it not so superior as you made it in ns1, it is a back up weapon and that its purpose should be to whip it out if you dont have time to reload or are out of ammo for your primary weapon. And no knife, you get the melee bashing with your primary weapon already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the pistol too. But I also like new dynamics and things that make games more interesting than the rest, and I also trust a dev team that clearly understands what it's like to play games (unlike what one of the asinine responses at the top of this thread would try to insinuate) to balance the dynamics so they work fairly.
  • Dark RageDark Rage Join Date: 2007-12-05 Member: 63081Members
    I'd rather see a remote detonation c4 like device to take out structures. It could be an upgrade like mines and hand grenades used to be. Knifing an onos or a skulk used to be EPIC because it happened so rarely. What about a mini saw like a handheld version of a chainsaw so that it does more to structures but can still be used as a melee weapon.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718789:date=Jul 22 2009, 05:38 PM:name=psykotik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (psykotik @ Jul 22 2009, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->'m a little worried as this game is supposed to come out this year, but it doesn't seem like the game is very far along at all. I think a delay is inevitable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I sadly am thinking the same...

<!--quoteo(post=1718791:date=Jul 22 2009, 05:44 PM:name=Dark Rage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Rage @ Jul 22 2009, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about a mini saw like a handheld version of a chainsaw so that it does more to structures but can still be used as a melee weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *cough* gears of war *cough*
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    When I first read the headline and the article, and without looking at the picture in the news article (my phone wouldn't let me) then reading everyone's comments in here I was hesitant about this idea.

However looking at the image in the article it puts a lot more into context about the use of the Taser.

I am liking the idea very much and it's far from "star trek", looks like the standard taser idea that's starting to become more popular with law enforcement (and personal protection in some areas), just a little more "amped" and "modified" in it's functionality.

As other's have said.

This is NS2 not NS1 or NS1 v4 even!

But NS2...

Take for example Left 4 Dead, L4D2 comes out later this year I think I saw mentioned, and without delving further into it, looks like it's a lot more melee based going purely on the trailer I have seen. Fry Pans / Chain Saws... come on.

Also the idea of a rotary saw on a pistol? Gears of War much?
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    "When covering a position at the end of a long hall, some players actually preferred to use pistols, switching to "primary" weapons only if the enemy could live long enough to close in. With weapon upgrades and good aim, two skulks would fall to a single pistol clip. Pistols really proved their worth once welders and mines were moved to other slots, allowing the marines to carry a pistol at all times."

I know I did, but isn't this part of a problem that needs addressing? The trouble is that a balanced pistol, through capped RoF or stupid "cooldown" inaccuracy is not fun to shoot with, and unless it's going to be unlimited ammo it feels fairly pointless as anything except a quick switch for an intense situation when you need to reload your primary. I'd very much rather have an interesting solution that takes off on a different path than the conventional solution that makes a weapon boring.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718761:date=Jul 22 2009, 04:15 PM:name=ckreon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ckreon @ Jul 22 2009, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->quoted so devs have to at least see this seriously great advice a second time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have agreed with CK and Grep this entire thread! Great advice. Tasers sound fun but in the end may ruin it a bit for me since i am an old school NS'er. Give me a gun over a hopped up static shock any day. (stuns would ruin skulks tbh. If stuns were planned that is.)
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718751:date=Jul 22 2009, 02:48 PM:name=T-Striker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (T-Striker @ Jul 22 2009, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's face it, the KNIFE and the PISTOL, were KEY items in NS1. Knifing was just histerical in the hands of a heavy and all around great for shanking an onos. The pistol was fast, accurate, and one of the most deadly weapons to fire instantly at the longest range. it was our own mini sniper rifle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And you've just pointed out part of the reason why they needed to go.

We don't know yet whether the taser has infinite range, nor how accurate it is. So all you're losing for sure is the fast.. and perhaps not even that. What you will lose, though, is the ability to script the pistol so that it works like a sniper rifle, downing a skulk almost instantly.

Personally, I hope they leave infinite range and pinpoint accuracy with the taser. It'll be a blast seeing lightning arc across the room.
    "Neither side should face such monotony, so the larger issue is gameplay related to structures on the whole."

Maybe I misunderstood the article, but I didn't take it to mean structures should be quicker to kill, rather than the experience of killing a structure should be more than staring at a brown blob and holding down knife slash. Admittedly changing that to firing electrodes at it (and having to redo this over a period of time) and holding down electric current doesn't do *much* to change it, but it does mean that you're able to be a part of the game if you choose to do it that way, and to be more defensive while taking down structures...which in all honesty was the one big issue about attacking alien structures in the first place, more so than the time it took.
    "(stuns would ruin skulks tbh. If stuns were planned that is.)"

Yep, stun mellee would be put in and tweaked to perfection for the marines, then the game would be released without considering the balance of it all. This is how it happens, amirite?
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718753:date=Jul 22 2009, 09:52 PM:name=briktal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (briktal @ Jul 22 2009, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except Syphon Filter, you could set people on fire with it.

~~Sickle~~<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh hell I remember that that was the the most awesome thing. I would set literally every single enemy on fire even though it took <b>ages</b> to complete each mission that way. Fun times.
  • Av8Av8 Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68184Members
    edited July 2009
    I like it. Its a bold new direction to take, but i think it could work. So many FPSes have relied on the pistol/knife combo as backup weapons, its refreshing to see a fresh angle being taken.

And for those who prefer things to be a little more traditional, Im sure you can expect to see pistol+knife mods appearing soon after the tools are released.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that ive always been unhappy with the pistol design in NS1. It's accuracy and high ROF made it more effective than it should have been at long range.
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718750:date=Jul 22 2009, 08:48 PM:name=dirtymojo817)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dirtymojo817 @ Jul 22 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I think a tazer in a battle against aliens is kind of unnecessary. When it comes down to fighting fades and onos I don't want to feel like im subduing a suspect, I want bullets. I think it would be a cool idea if there were a melee tazer under the barrel of the pistol so it would give the marines a feel a technological advancment from a knife while still keeping the firepower of the pistol, but just having the secondary weapon being only a tazer wouldn't make me feel safe roaming around in alien territory lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Completely agree with you ^ aliens who are about to tear your limbs off should not be treated as a suspect, a Taser-pistol would be much more fitting to the NS storyline