Want: Reviews on two games

Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Fear 2 and BF: Bad Company</div>I know Bad Company at least has been out for a few months and F2 probably just two.

But I've been considering getting these games. (Playstation 3 is my console).

Does anybody have any experience with these games?

I've played the first Fear when it came out ages ago and loved it. I also liked the demo for Fear 2. Only game to actually scare the crap out of me haha, Fear 1. I'd like to get it for the PS3, but I don't know how long the solo campaign is and how is multiplayer, is it any good or just simple deathmatch/team deathmatch? Just hate a game that I can beat in 1-2 days. Which I've done before. Good buy? Renter? Buy used?

Same thing goes for BF: Bad Company, I did the demo/beta a while ago and it wasn't too bad. Just curious because BC2 is coming out and it looks really good. How's the multiplayer balance on BC?

Anyways, those are my questions.

Now to consider sleep or not. -.-
Airsoft in 3-4 hours, play for 4-5 hours, then work til 1am.
or
Stay up til I get tired, sleep, then work.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Fear 2 was supposed to be a lot worse than Fear 1 in almost every way, and why bother with BC when BC2 is coming? If you need something to tide you over, BF1943 is on the Bad Company engine and it just came out to rather good reviews.
  • Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
    By worse, do you mean like bad game or worse as in freakier?
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I would say FEAR2 is not as good as FEAR, but it is not a bad game. In fact, it is a pretty good game, just not as awesome as FEAR was. I liked the story, except it ends in a cliffhanger and an opening for FEAR3. In terms of gameplay, it was challenging enough(i played on hard difficulty) and fun. The AI is still pretty good and the bad guys don't have excessive radio chatter anymore like in FEAR. The level design has improved dramatically and there are more weapons. Multiplayer is mostly unchanged and is about the same as the first game.

In terms of scares, in some places, it ups the previous game but in others, it falls short. It relies more on the shock factor now than the creepy factor. It is still scary, just not as much as FEAR and nor is it as groundbreaking.

I'd still recommend it.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    I found FEAR2 more of the same if I were you rent it complete it in a day then you haven't wasted so much money.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Since this thread is here I'll just tack on to ask if anyone is enjoying Battlefield Heroes? I know it's free, but time is more precious to me than Money ATM.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717066:date=Jul 12 2009, 08:27 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 12 2009, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since this thread is here I'll just tack on to ask if anyone is enjoying Battlefield Heroes? I know it's free, but time is more precious to me than Money ATM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's slow, a little unbalanced, and full of idiots. All the guns/items you purchase with XP are only rented, meaning you'd have to play forever just to keep your character outfitted with anything other than the basic gear.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    And you can only create a limited amount of characters that you CAN'T DELETE.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I still enjoy Heroes though. Not as much as Quake Live(Which, btw- the community there has died, completely. The other night, the entire WORLD had 9 players. I'm pretty confident Quake 2 still has more than that right now), but enough to pick it up. Also, it's really good for teaching my girlfriend shooters(she's been a WoW player for awhile, so the persistence at least is comforting).

As to BC and Fear 2:

Fear 2 is really fun. Just pure fun. The scares aren't as severe as before, but for someone like me, that's a good thing. The combat isn't as good as before, but it's close. "More of the same" rings true here, but in the case of Fear, that isn't a bad thing.

Battlefild: Bad Company is awesome. At least, the multiplayer is. Tons of fun. Dunno how the community is these days though. But awesome even still. If you can even get 1 game going, I can say definitively now, that the Frostbite engine is just fantastic for multiplayer.

Side note: Apparently Red Faction is ###### awesome, so if you're going for console games, keep it in mind. Or wait a few months for it to come out on the PC. Apparently a gigantic sleeper hit.
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    FEAR 2 is an awesome game. Liked the PS3 demo, but bought the PC game - hey it's a shooter :p. It's better paced than FEAR 1 and has more variety both in enemies and environments; though nothing groundbreaking environment-wise if you played other Monlith games like Condemned (or even the FEAR expansions). FEAR 2 doesn't do anything new compared to FEAR 1 but it's damn polished and just alot of fun. So much fun that I've played through it 3 times now and thinking of replaying it again. The only downside is the controls in the PC version (no side mouse buttons support...), but that's a non-issue if you're going with the PS3 version. Haven't played alot of MP, so won't comment on that.

Only tried the (PS3) demo of Bad Company, so -again- won't comment. It's one of those games that's on my "to buy if it hits 10 €"-list :p
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    FEAR2 was just OK. I loved the AI, the more varied environments, the feel of the weapons, etc. The scares weren't that good anymore for me. I'm not in to the shock and horror style. My favorite part of FEAR1 was in the hallway when Alma shows up and sets it all on fire. I screamed shooting at her, then turned around and ran like mad activating the cut scene. That was pure awesome. No moments like that in FEAR2 sadly. Maybe because I felt like a macho buff dude with awesome guns this time. meh. Also, the ending was kinda stupid and sometimes it feels a bit forced. For example, they talked in an interview about how they liked re-using certain themes. Unfortunately, for me, those turned into cues of whether I should prepare for a scare or not. Truly disappointing in that aspect. Otherwise a solid game.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716979:date=Jul 12 2009, 04:19 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 12 2009, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fear 2 was supposed to be a lot worse than Fear 1 in almost every way, and why bother with BC when BC2 is coming?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You managed to answer your question with your previous sentence. The reason you might try the first game even if the second is coming out, is that the second one could well be rubbish.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717776:date=Jul 17 2009, 09:24 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Jul 17 2009, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You managed to answer your question with your previous sentence. The reason you might try the first game even if the second is coming out, is that the second one could well be rubbish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The difference being that we <i>know</i> FEAR 2 is rubbish, whereas BC2 might be much better, so it makes sense to wait and see. Especially considering BF1943, the stopgap between BC and BC2, just came out.
  • Paranoia2MBParanoia2MB Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7832Members
    BF1943 btw. Worth the 15 bucks. :D

It's holding me over for now.
    Thought I don't know how you can call in the air raids yet.