Neotokyo released

DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
<div class="IPBDescription">get mirrors, now!</div>The torrent is out right now but its clogged with leeches, we needs a mirror!

<a href="http://www.neotokyohq.com/" target="_blank">http://www.neotokyohq.com/</a>

Comments

• WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Is there a reason to play this if you've already played Dystopia?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Yes, it's actually somewhat fun.

I like the assumption that two games that have a similar art style have a similar playstyle. That's smooth logic.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Didn't I hear about this game back in, like, 2003?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2009
    they have a similar art style?
    what?

just my personal opinion, but the feel and (art)style of neotokyo is <b>vastly</b> superior to dystopia.
    while dystopia draws from rather retro cyberpunk fiction, neotokyo on the other hand is heavily inspired by ghost in the shell and akira, two media i loved. in addition it's got a near-future setting, which always sells, to me.

the only things i see similar are:
    1) there are three classes per team, 'light', 'medium' and 'heavy', if you will
    2) cybernetics
    3) and i can't think of anything else right now.

a couple blatant things that are dissimilar:
    1) neotokyo doesn't have 'LOL CYBERSPACE'
    2) neotokyo is a somewhat realistic shooter (less than Insurgency, more than CS), while dystopia is far far more arcadey shooter

I've been following this one, and might grab it sometime. Hopefully before uni starts up again.
    Anyone know if there are any australian servers?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715624:date=Jul 4 2009, 12:07 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 4 2009, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they have a similar art style?
    what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Japanese dudes in futuristic armor.

That's why the word 'similar' was used, as opposed to a word like 'identical.'
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Just played it for about 45 minutes.
    I think it sucks. It's basically CS, but even slower. Glaciers could carve a new valley given the time it takes a round to finish. Even the Recon's class "sprint" is this leisurely stroll, while the regular running speed is about as fast as a turtle trying to swim through molasses. Everybody has cloaking, so you can basically run around and die instantly from an enemy you didn't even know was there, or find a hallway to crouch-peek camp (Which is how I topped the scoreboard). You actually need to manually bring crosshairs up (Or alternatively, draw a dot on your screen). Weapons get unlocked as your score increases. I can't find a single server running a game mode that isn't Capture the Ghost, which is essentially CTF with one flag. They sort of have a token gesture towards squad gameplay by allowing players to join one, but as far as I can tell all it does is let you know what their health is. Shotgun seems almost useless, beyond arms length it barely does any damage. It took me three point blank shots on a stationary target to kill him, whereas with a rifle I'd just have killed him in a single burst. I can't even speak pleasantly about the aesthetics because I just ran around with my thermal/motion vision on, which turns everything into this monochrome grain.

Bland, uninspired ######. I want my bandwidth back. Not even Tachikomas can save this terrible game. I'm honestly offended by all the hype surrounding this game.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited July 2009
    Woah i was playing with bijiy for about 3 or 4 hours. Cant believe how fun this mod is :o (then again i've been dominating the games >.>)
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'll give it a download now. How team based is it? That was pretty much my most liked thing about Dystopia, and indeed, NS.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'm downloading too. Not happy to hear you sit out the round when you die- I can't play C-S for that reason.

The only slow-paced CCQ game I can stomach is CoD4- and at least that has respawning game types.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Sitting out a round when you die is a great gameplay mechanic. I mean, why would you want to play the game if you can just watch it instead? It's why everyone loves Sudden Death in TF2.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If I wanted to play a game I'd go watch the Matrix Trilogy.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715627:date=Jul 4 2009, 01:22 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 4 2009, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everybody has cloaking, so you can basically run around and die instantly from an enemy you didn't even know was there, or find a hallway to crouch-peek camp (Which is how I topped the scoreboard)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I haven't even played it yet, but I'm pretty sure there is some kind of thermal vision you can use to see people with cloak.
    gg

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sitting out a round when you die is a great gameplay mechanic. I mean, why would you want to play the game if you can just watch it instead? It's why everyone loves Sudden Death in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Teaches people to play more cautiously. CS had the right idea.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Cautious gameplay = camping. When does the fun begin?
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    So... three word review:

"DOD for weeaboos."

Harsh? Probably, but I can't see yet anything that differentiates this from any number of other games, except things like cloaking etc actually encourage MORE camping.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715677:date=Jul 4 2009, 04:57 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jul 4 2009, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Teaches people to play more cautiously. CS had the right idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A half-hour respawn timer would teach people to play even more cautiously.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    If you die your pc explodes, That should do it..
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715684:date=Jul 4 2009, 11:58 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 4 2009, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A half-hour respawn timer would teach people to play even more cautiously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, it probably would. However, there is a ratio of caution:fun that you need to keep in mind. ;)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1715666:date=Jul 4 2009, 07:46 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 4 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sitting out a round when you die is a great gameplay mechanic. I mean, why would you want to play the game if you can just watch it instead? It's why everyone loves Sudden Death in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well there goes my excitement for this game. And cloaking camping? I had the impression this was a fast paced game from the previews somehow, not some slow tactical shooter. Sad day. Guess I'll still give it a shot at least...
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715699:date=Jul 4 2009, 12:46 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jul 4 2009, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well there goes my excitement for this game. And cloaking camping? I had the impression this was a fast paced game from the previews somehow, not some slow tactical shooter. Sad day. Guess I'll still give it a shot at least...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its fast paced, but when you die, you die lol

the whole game is about how you use your class, use cloaking and run in fast, lean a lot, and just pop heads off constantly. Leaning is what really makes the magic happen.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Cloaking isn't used for camping. It's duration is too short for it to be properly used as a method for hiding. People who think they can get away with this now will get their faces blown off once the average player gets slightly better at using the vision modes. It's short timer makes it useful for ambushing and rushing, which makes for some intense fights once you get the feel for it.

And yes, you sit out once you die... But no where near as long as CSS. In Counter-Strike, you can be waiting for 10+ minutes. In NEOTOKYO, the rounds themselves are much faster. There is a "Tie" ending for that very purpose. It's not as bad, believe me. I hate waiting 15 seconds in TF2 way more than a few minutes in NEOTOKYO. It's odd to say, but true. Give it a chance.

Earlier in it's development, NEOTOKYO was much faster paced. Player speeds, sprinting speeds, and stamina values were all very different. I personally enjoyed it more when the game was faster, but the devs said it wasn't what they wanted. They saw NEOTOKYO as a tactical shooter, rather than a twitch shooter. Since then, they slowed it down and made it much more dangerous for the headstrong rambo player. I came to love it just as much.

NTS is a box of chocolates. Hate it or love it, Winrai for life.
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    edited July 2009
    Wow some of these comments just make me wonder. Neotokyo definitely is not for everyone but nor is every game, we chose no respawning for a reason, it fits our gameplay model. There is alot more going on under the hood than the people putting it down apparently have not picked up on which is unfortunate. I guess going in if you expected a run of the mill shoot em you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. To each his own, but we are definitely not counterstrike.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    so... against we have: loads of people I know
    ...for we have: the guy who made it, some guy who thinks you are dead for 10minute periods in cs, a coupla people i dont know

hmmm
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    edited July 2009
    I didn't remember HL2 deathmatch looking like japan. Was that a patch valve did?

I tried taking the ghost, but my character got stuck in the briefcase the robot was in and I spent the remaining of the round being anime'd at by the dead robot lady.

(Also: Robot boobs are effin' hot, do more naked robot lady models - increase the size of the nipples.)

I will compliment you on the customization you can do in the mod. Never before have I been presented with such an array of equal looking, similar sounding guns. And kodos on having both a female with blonde hair, and a female with black hair - It's really in the little things that you truely find the replay value.

No seriously, It's just HL2 deathmatch. It is really incredibly shallow.

You really should be ashamed of the hype this mod gained.

Edit: I just played another round.. seriously dudes... really? Did you even have a plan to begin with other than "JAPAN!!!" ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1715693:date=Jul 4 2009, 06:17 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jul 4 2009, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, it probably would. However, there is a ratio of caution:fun that you need to keep in mind. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If we have to balance fun against caution, can't we just throw caution out completely and have more fun instead?
    <!--quoteo(post=1715706:date=Jul 4 2009, 06:23 PM:name=[R8]DJBourgeoisie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([R8]DJBourgeoisie @ Jul 4 2009, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    There is alot more going on under the hood than the people putting it down apparently have not picked up on which is unfortunate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm going to call on this one. :)

By all means, I did express that I thought my view could easily be construed as overly harsh (and please try to be objective, difficult when a mod requires such personal input). So I'd genuinely like to ask what things I'm missing. From a pure style POV, I liked the look of NeoTokyo pre-release, but the game itself felt as described very quickly. If there's nuances to be discovered, whet our appetites, get us to keep playing. :)
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    edited July 2009
    *ok, you don't like it. Leave this thread before you say something really stupid* --Comprox
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well, I gave it a good run through and was pleasantly surprised. It was fun for a bit and has potential but is not something I will play too much right now. The art is very well done but nothing else really stood out. Like I said, I don't like games that force me to wait being dead but that is needed for this gameplay. Even though it's only been out a day, teams were already ignoring the objective and just killing each other. Someone suggested they actually complete the goal and others just laughed. :P I thought the tactical advantage of holding the ball-thing was worth it, but no one else did, am I missing something?

And I felt the game was confused between tactical and run n' gun. For a first release it is very good and I will check it out later for sure, but it just didn't hold my attention yet.
    edited July 2009
    Before I said it's "somewhat fun," and that's true. It really doesn't go beyond that though. I didn't realize we had an NT dev in here, so I'll use this opportunity to ask some questions.

<!--quoteo(post=1715706:date=Jul 4 2009, 01:23 PM:name=[R8]DJBourgeoisie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([R8]DJBourgeoisie @ Jul 4 2009, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> we chose no respawning for a reason, it fits our gameplay model.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some of my favorite games are round based. Having round based combat does fit 'capture the ghost' very well, however, the map layout is horrible. They're way too big and don't seem to be planned out too well. I'd be very interested in learning why NT choose to go with these types of maps, as opposed smaller maps. Usually, when a game wants to be 'tactical,' they balance their maps to play on smaller servers (5v5, 6v6, etc). With NT, it feels like you want that small tactical feel, but we have huge as hell maps and huge as hell servers. It turns into an arcade-like game where a few bullets can kill you.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is alot more going on under the hood than the people putting it down apparently have not picked up on which is unfortunate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love for this to be explained more. From what I can tell, NT is counter-strike with leap and stealth abilities. What, exactly, is going on 'under the hood?'

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess going in if you expected a run of the mill shoot em you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. To each his own, but we are definitely not counterstrike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately, I expected something unique. Instead, I got a run of the mill shooter that comes off as bland. There's nothing special, or memorable, about NT. Not trying to be a ######, but if you think NT is something other than CS with a few gimmicks then you may be too close to the project.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Hmm, lot of hate in this thread.

I spent all night playing it, and with voice comms and teamwork the game felt very good to play, though in retrospect that may be based on how long it's been since I've had a working internet connection and the ability to actually play online games. Coincidence that my internet starts working when NeoTokyo is released.

The art is very very beautifully done though the player models seem... difficult to differentiate. It's very, very difficult to tell the difference between the classes to the frantic and untrained eye. Team colours and awareness were a little spotty at times as well. The small green or blue cross in the middle of a friendly player is VERY easy to miss in a firefight, especially when using vision modes. (Like motion video mode)

Some maps are extremely fun while others feel a little too large or 'random', like that godamn snowy temple map. Way too many ways to get your head popped off by some giggling twit hiding in a snowbank a mile away. While other maps like that 'Sub' one that feels like a mix between a military bunker and a submarine, or Skyline or any of the 'office building' type maps are really really good, if some of them may be a little large.

For a first release I'm really fond of the game. The most innovative aspect of the game would be the 'football/soccer' style focus on the SINGLE ghost in the entire map. Since it's visible on everyone's screen, and who owns the ghost (friendlies or enemies). It really really helps focus the players and teamwork TOWARDS the ghost, since not only is it an occasionally easy mission victory, but also a useful tactical device. This is in my opinion the greatest gem of the game, and an incredibly useful way to focus and funnel player movements towards a single point on the map.

It does occasionally feel a little too easy to get killed by a guy cloaking in the bushes somewhere giggling like a moron, (which gets very annoying) but aside from that the game is entertaining.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715706:date=Jul 4 2009, 10:23 AM:name=[R8]DJBourgeoisie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([R8]DJBourgeoisie @ Jul 4 2009, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Wow some of these comments just make me wonder. Neotokyo definitely is not for everyone but nor is every game, we chose no respawning for a reason, it fits our gameplay model. There is alot more going on under the hood than the people putting it down apparently have not picked up on which is unfortunate. I guess going in if you expected a run of the mill shoot em you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. To each his own, but we are definitely not counterstrike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're commenting on the Natural Selection boards. I'm sorry, I'm just not sure you have a clue about what this audience expects.

Edit: I'm not commenting on the mod whatsoever, by the by. I haven't played it, though I'm going to tomorrow morning most likely. I will say, I remember playing the Unreal engine versions, and having absolutely no fun whatsoever.