Disabled viewing "dead" players in score.

DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Adds a depth of unknown tactical play.</div>Taking a leaf out of AA3's book, can you disable (or allow a server setting) to "disable" the status of someone as alive or dead in scoreboard?

This means come end-game of a round players don't know if it's 1 - 2 or 3 enemt left on a map alive.
Means you also won't be able to see when the enemy has respawned and plan your rushes around it to clean them up as soon as they spawn before they can gestate / buy weapons etc.

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited July 2009
    I think the spawn queue control adds more depth than disabling the information. Right now you can try to rack up consecutive casualties to the enemy team to stack up their dead count and take the map control that way. The end game hive respawning count is quite irrelevant to me. A decent comm/alien team can check the spawning status in a second anyway.

Of course the spawning mechanics would still be the same and clogging up the IPs/hive would still work, but I think it's difficult enough even if you know the enemy status. At least it wasn't used as much as it probably could have.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I agree with this. The enemy shouldn't be able to get any information about the other team that can help them make decisions from the scoreboard. Stuff like score, kills/deaths etc doesn't help in anyway except knowing if your getting pwned or not. Deaths lets you time a attack so that there's less resistance. Also adds a sense of unknowing which is always good.
  • Eternaly_LostEternaly_Lost Join Date: 2004-11-20 Member: 32907Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    except that you can tell about how many players are dead on a team by watching the kills. Sure it not exact, but I find more often then not, attacking say a hive is more on when the comm says to go, then when most of the opponents are dead, and often the rush into the hive room happens when one person is dead ( the fade ) more then those 3 skulks that are with him.

You don't add much by removing the dead, other then pain hunting down last man, and make the true counts of players a lot less clear. ( so team, how many of you are still alive? )

Dead/alive status is fine, as well as seeing who the commander is. Everything else you need to learn on your own.

EDIT:
    You also want to see what your team has in res/lifeforms as well.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Yeh all the information should still be displayed on the scoreboard, but only your team should see it. So your point of "so team, how many of you are still alive?" wouldn't come up. And watching kills to know when someones dead will require a lot of attention and wouldn't show when they've respawned.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Yeah. I think you shouldn't know whether the other team is alive or dead. Makes it a bit more realistic that way.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I don't think removing this really helps the game. Not a big deal either way though.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    Could remove entirely any visual score keeping or death confirming until the end of a match.

People get too sucked into how many frags they get, and that really only belongs in a death match.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715301:date=Jul 2 2009, 08:00 AM:name=Wyattx3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyattx3 @ Jul 2 2009, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could remove entirely any visual score keeping or death confirming until the end of a match.

People get too sucked into how many frags they get, and that really only belongs in a death match.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. When a comm is assigning roles to people, it's very important to be able to recognize which of his players are reliable and which are not. It's also important for a player to recognize that if they're going 0-20, they're probably doing something wrong.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I'm not going to disagree, but we don't even know if commanders will have that kind of ability in NS2.

There are certainly other ways to obtain the same information. An involved commander would know who his go-to players are.

And you could even stop that kind of favoritism. The players with the best Kill/Death ratio aren't always the best players.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I should clarify... remove seeing the ENEMY dead/alive status.

Sure, keep the things like K/D ratio up. But perhaps just having visibility of your own team would be better. I just feel it'd add that certain "unknown" element into gameplay.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715192:date=Jul 2 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 2 2009, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Means you also won't be able to see when the enemy has respawned and plan your rushes around it to clean them up as soon as they spawn before they can gestate / buy weapons etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure why this is a bad thing.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715382:date=Jul 3 2009, 01:27 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 3 2009, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, keep the things like K/D ratio up. But perhaps just having visibility of your own team would be better. I just feel it'd add that certain "unknown" element into gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know if the unknown element is reasonable here. Commander can check the hives in the present system and I hope the he can gather at least some information like that in NS2 too. Of course it's more interesting if the commander can't tell the hive status, but I don't know how much it actually adds to the game anyway. Most of your examples refer to the parts where the game is already over for one team.

Meanwhile the present information system gives you a good overlook of the game and rewards players that want to adjust their play depending on the situation. Most of the information that scoreboard gives is avaible anyway by common sense, denying it would just fill in the voice chat a bit more.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. When a comm is assigning roles to people, it's very important to be able to recognize which of his players are reliable and which are not. It's also important for a player to recognize that if they're going 0-20, they're probably doing something wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Frags alone don't say squat about the quality of a player.

Also I agree that it doesn't change anything in the gameplay, until endgame when one team is on the verge of extermination (no ips or no hives).
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    Wow, didn't think of this before. This would definitely make a lot of sense. Of course, it would only have to be for opposing teams. I'm sure that since there are alien commanders, and marine commanders, then they should be able to tell when most of the players are dead, by observing marine start or the last hive.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715478:date=Jul 3 2009, 04:49 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 3 2009, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frags alone don't say squat about the quality of a player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    K/D isn't everything, but it is something. Claiming a player going 0-20 with a low score indicating he hasn't built or killed any RTs isn't dragging down the team is a pretty hard sell.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You may laugh, but I managed it in my 3rd game as marine.
    I concentrated on building the comm's drops, and was a snack for the skulks because I threw my guns away to be faster.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715849:date=Jul 5 2009, 01:15 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 5 2009, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You may laugh, but I managed it in my 3rd game as marine.
    I concentrated on building the comm's drops, and was a snack for the skulks because I threw my guns away to be faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then you were just a retard. Not having any ammo increases your speed negligibly and reduces your ability to kill anything that doesn't stand there and let you knife them to nearly zero. I wouldn't trust you to do anything other than die.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715873:date=Jul 5 2009, 07:56 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 5 2009, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then you were just a retard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay well umm... hostilities aside... Whether this idea is implimented or not doesn't really matter much, because the advantage/disadvantage is even for each team.

Except for one thing... On occasions when a marine start or hive has just been wiped out, you think you're winning, unless the team has relocated... Currently you can know for sure by checking the scoreboard... and seeing if the team is spawning.

If the status of the enemy is removed from the scoreboard, there is more chance that they will get back up and running without the winning team realizing.

And since I love a good comeback.... that idea suits me.