Field Commanders

AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
<div class="IPBDescription">As a supporting role to Commanders?</div>I don't mean field commanders that are experienced players telling commanders what to do, but a gameplay mechanic that lets the commander nominate people(s) as field commanders... or spotters... or scouts... whatever.

An extention on "Need Order", these players can actually assist in placing items. The idea is like Tribes2 and lasering, except instead of guiding mortors, you're helping place buidlings.

Commander says "Hey I want to build a turret factory on that ledge near you BoogyDudeXXX"
BoogyDude presses a "build here" button that points a laser at the exact location
Icon appears on commanders hud for boogydude
Commander can then click on the turret item, and then "place" on that icon.
A turrent is placed at the location of the laser (If applicable... Placement might fail due to lack of room, in which case boogydude has to move his laser away from the obstruction and commander clicks to place again.

Added to this, the "field commander" can also hint at the building he's requesting. Similar to the "q" menu in battlefield 2, "Enemy spotted", or "Attack here" etc. Holding the "buildingplacementlaser" button brings up a radial menu like RMB but for building, and the marine can select "phase gate". This prompts an icon on the commander hud from boogydude that is PhaseGate. Commander can click that icon, selecting phase gate, and then click again to drop phase gate at the nominated place.

This solves placement issue based on map design and multiple floors, as well as assists comms/makes noob commanding less frustrating for all involved. Instead of people screaming "OMFG NOOB THATS A RETARDED SPOT FOR ARMORY", they can scream "COMM GIVE ME FIELD COMMS, PLACE ARMORY HERE <points>" and help rather than rage.

Lastly... and the whole point to this thing... items can be placed in the walls. There's a thread about sticky cameras. Why not do that with motion tracking sensors? Or better yet... turrets? Turret Factories still have to be placed in the normal areas, and still have an area of effect, but walls and ceilings within that area of effect are free game for turret placement. And maybe do the same for OBS (or a smaller, motion tracking/remote camera type item) that can be placed on the ceiling or walls. I can't think of anything else that makes sense to be on the walls.... except *maybe* a rock climbing type thing so marines can build ladders anywhere with the assistance of commander.... but that's getting a little.... wierd...

I don't see turrent on walls and ceilings being an unbalancing feature, but more of a cool gimic that balances some map design where you can't have turrets on the floor (Cause the floor is too far away from where the turret factory is for instance), and having turrets on the roof exposes the factory for rush attack.... so it's a gamble.

Anyway... field commander...

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Charlie beat you to it; NS2 will reportedly have "multiple commanders". {<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106143" target="_blank">link</a>}
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    But are all commanders equal?
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited June 2009
    Without reading the blogpost itself, having a quick perusal, where does Flayra say there will be multiple commanders?

EDIT:
    Decided to read it ... I see now

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Building here lets the team have the ability to have another commander, and also is needed for "teching up" to tier 2 or tier 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714865:date=Jun 30 2009, 01:28 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 30 2009, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But are all commanders equal?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes.

But some are more equal than others.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    edited June 2009
    Okay, did anyone actually read the OP? Don't worry, I don't blame you if you didn't, cause what I'm talking about is very similar to a second commander.... but not quite

I should have titled the OP "Field Surveyer", which is more specific to the game mechanic I'm talking about. Instead of marine taem spamming "Need Order" which is like saying "Comm, pay attention to me!!!", the marine should be able to provide more information, so that instead of the comm having to go to the marines location, try and figure out what he wants, find it in the list of buildings, and drop in a suitable location... The marine can have half of that task already worked out. The marine uses his HUD to say "I think you should drop a TF in this corner", and all the Comm has to do is basically click on "I accept", and it happens.

Obviously the Comm can give this power to whoever he wants, so as to avoid griefing

Lastly, this mechanic would let the marines build items (like turrets) in the walls and ceilings, which you can't do from the comm chair even if the game allowed it.

And fyi, I'm not trying to say that NS2 will suck if the devs don't do this.... I'm just throwing out "doable" solutions to gameplay problems that may or may not work
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    Wow, great idea. Having a squad leader is what your saying. This is great. I think that the squad itself should nominate the person. To be honest though, I wouldn't like the other squad members to be limited in anyway. Like, if I need a medpack or want the commander to drop something, I should be able to do that whether I'm the leader or not.

Wow, I didn't think of this but I really like what your coming from. This would add a lot more strategy to the game. I just think it's missing something, and needing more. I'm sure the development team can do so much with this idea and I really hope that this look into this.

It will be great as long as they keep it user friendly, because the simple NS1 was already a little much for newplayers to know what to do. Especially when it came to welding, or covering, and requesting drops and what not.