Hive Commander Mode?

DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Can we get a bit of a "sneak peek" at that ?? =)</div>Just noticed a tidbit of information "Hive Commander Mode"... so no more gorges spamming towers stupidly? There's a bit of control to it??

Comments

• MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    They haven't given us any information regarding it yet, and given that the game is pre-alpha who knows if it will make it in :P
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited June 2009
    The hive has been designed to allow animation of the tentacles for commander mode...

Looking at images we have <a href="http://www.artbullyproductions.com/portfolio/characters_creatures/samples/NS2AlienHiveModel01.jpg" target="_blank">not one</a> but <a href="http://www.artbullyproductions.com/portfolio/characters_creatures/samples/NS2AlienHiveModel02.jpg" target="_blank">two different</a> "modes" for the hive... ?
    But then again, the second image could be based on the fact they plan to make it semi-transparent with a glowy effect... and that's just what the insides look like.

Either way, design concepts are for the longer tentacles for the aliens to interact with to go commander mode.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    edited June 2009
    interesting. I wonder if buildings will be erected from the infestation in NS2, kinda like Starcraft where zerg can only build on creep. From what i understand so far, the hive produces infestation around it but we don't really know how far that infestation spreads. Also if alien buildings can only be built on infestation, will we have a building that allows the expansion of said infestation, similar to the creep colony in Starcraft?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i believe I read somewhere that the marine commanders role will not be as significant as in NS1,
    maybe that also answers your question with the alien commander? So I guess gorges will stay
    like they are (in terms of freedom in placing their structures).

and the question about placing only at dynamic infestation: I was always asking myself (in NS1)
    which race was initially intended to be the one who is adapting their tactics to the others race.
    How NS1 is worked out nowadays its clear: The marines can adapt their tactics to the aliens,
    since aliens have to make their chambers choice once what is irreversible afterwards (SC -> HA,
    DC -> JP), but how was it intended to be? :)

Following the blog and news updates gave me the hint that gameplay should be as dynamic as
    possible (power grid system, tweaking stats of aliens which is in alien commanders responsibility,
    mobile sieges, weldable doors / breakable doors, etc.) BUT: I still dont know the purpose of
    the dynamic infestation (except of atmospheric reasons). I hope it will only support the aliens
    and not be a necessity

Hope we will get some more informations on this soon, Im curios :)
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    Perhaps the alien commander will have some kind of spellcaster role. I think it has already been mentioned that he can send off nymphs to scout.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was stated in a recent interview ( I think the polish one, I forget) that chambers can be placed anywhere. It doesn't have to just be the infestation. Although what I would like to see is that, in order drop chambers anywhere, the first instance of them MUST be dropped on the infestation, for balance reasons of course.

My other guesses for the infestation, is that it allows for the tunneling system. You can't just use a tunnel into a steel floor. (This idea was mentioned a long time back. I hope it'll be implemented still)

Infestation will deform hallways, possibly making it more difficult for marines to travel. (Hence the reason for the flame thrower)

That's really all I can think of at the moment.

Oh and plus there are the alien traps. (This is mentioned in the overview section on the NS2 official website)

All we can really go by is what is mentioned in that overview, and what we've heard in past blogs.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    I could be way off here.... But make it so chambers can only be built on creep.... Chambers built on creep expand the creep around them, and GORGES can "spray" creep anywhere... helping infestion along and/or starting a new infestation somewhere else

But any un-attached infestation that a gorge creates slowly dies (after like 20 seconds, whatever) unless there is an alien building to sustain it (Like OC, DC, MC, SC, HIVE, RES ETC)

AND LASTLY.... Creep "erodes" welded areas.

Therefore encroaching infestation from aliens expanding "unlocks" the weld points humans put in place.... AND... Gorges can also erode weld points by spraying their temporary infestation (temporary creep... or add a OC nearby to "hold" the weld point open)

Also, obviously, if an OC is feeding the infestation around it, and the OC gets destroyed... the infestation retreats/dies

And lastly.... Electricity pushes back infestation, so a powered on room will start to clear out infestation (just leveraging off the grid design concept here)
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    You guys are increasing the learning curve here.

I dont want to run around welding stuff and pressing my USE key.

Can I just shoot things?
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714158:date=Jun 26 2009, 12:32 PM:name=efektz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (efektz @ Jun 26 2009, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys are increasing the learning curve here.

I dont want to run around welding stuff and pressing my USE key.

Can I just shoot things?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, go play CS:S
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714168:date=Jun 26 2009, 07:05 PM:name=flying_moose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flying_moose @ Jun 26 2009, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, go play CS:S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He does have a point though. If the whole team is so busy with all this set-up territory stuff who is left to fight?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    ocs and turrets fight.
    They play the game for you, didn't you know?
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    The appeal of NS to me always has been that it was an RTS with FPS elements. Without the strong RTS elements then it is just another run and gun game (which happen to be a dime a dozen these days) so I truly hope that you do have to build your environment before you fight in it.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I don't know any RTS where the units run around pressing the USE key.
  • XainXain Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62281Members
    The way people are saying doesn't require your entire team to run around using there USE key. The Idea of infestation and welding to me is
    as follows in these two scenarios.

Aliens have One hive and a DC down. They come in and over run one of the marines rooms. The marines try to reclaim the room but fail to do to skulk rushes.
    Marine "Commander" decides to shut that sector down, so he gets a team of 3 guys a guy with a welder and two guys with shotguns. The two shotguns cover the welder as he
    welds the door (the door staying shut by one of the marines USING a button only once to deactivate the motion sensors on the doors) The aliens, being strategic, know at this point opening that door would not be a great idea, so they let the marines weld it shut and instead infest (gorge idea, or however its gonna happen) the room taking the RC.

Marines have been backed into a corner, this corner has the same door as the previous scenario and there playing the same match (so the door is still welded and the aliens own the room behind the door) being the last couple of guys alive, besides the commander who has set up a vast number of turrets around marine spawn, the marines decide to unweld and reclaim that room. This time there are 5 marines, 2 with shotguns, 1 with a Flamethrower, and 2 with just the normal machine gun. All of them have welders, again the shotguns cover as does the Flamethrower while the two with the MGs unweld the door (more people faster unwelding / welding) as its almost done the MGs single the FT and completely unweld the door. The door is than activated with the Use key again on the motion activation, and the door opens. The room is indeed infested but completely empty of aliens, the Flamethrower does what he needs to do to reclaim the room and finishes. They than reclaim the room with there own RT.

In both times someone used the "USE" key once, I know what you will all say now "Tools aren't guns" (such as the gorge infestation tool, or the welder) well seriously, if you are all upset about this not being a guns blazing shoot em up, than go to Best Buy and grab the first FPS you see. There all pretty much the same, cept this one is in WW2 oh and this ones in the future. Adding things like infestation and door welding is separating NS2 from just any other FPS.
    Sounds more like SimCity than an RTS to me.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714273:date=Jun 26 2009, 11:02 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 26 2009, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know any RTS where the units run around pressing the USE key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Siege maps are fun :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1714168:date=Jun 26 2009, 02:05 PM:name=flying_moose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flying_moose @ Jun 26 2009, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, go play CS:S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

too late
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    i guess:

alien commander like = dungeon keeper ;)
    Cast spells, place traps and stuff.
    We will see in alpha, when ever it comes out.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714278:date=Jun 26 2009, 11:31 PM:name=Xain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xain @ Jun 26 2009, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens have One hive and a DC down. They come in and over run one of the marines rooms. The marines try to reclaim the room but fail to do to skulk rushes.
    Marine "Commander" decides to shut that sector down, so he gets a team of 3 guys a guy with a welder and two guys with shotguns. The two shotguns cover the welder as he
    welds the door (the door staying shut by one of the marines USING a button only once to deactivate the motion sensors on the doors) The aliens, being strategic, know at this point opening that door would not be a great idea, so they let the marines weld it shut and instead infest (gorge idea, or however its gonna happen) the room taking the RC.

Marines have been backed into a corner, this corner has the same door as the previous scenario and there playing the same match (so the door is still welded and the aliens own the room behind the door) being the last couple of guys alive, besides the commander who has set up a vast number of turrets around marine spawn, the marines decide to unweld and reclaim that room. This time there are 5 marines, 2 with shotguns, 1 with a Flamethrower, and 2 with just the normal machine gun. All of them have welders, again the shotguns cover as does the Flamethrower while the two with the MGs unweld the door (more people faster unwelding / welding) as its almost done the MGs single the FT and completely unweld the door. The door is than activated with the Use key again on the motion activation, and the door opens. The room is indeed infested but completely empty of aliens, the Flamethrower does what he needs to do to reclaim the room and finishes. They than reclaim the room with there own RT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:) This is how I hope it plays. Adds depth without being difficult to grasp. I want more scenarios then just X amount of marines verses Y amount of aliens.
  • XainXain Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62281Members
    Well t he scenarios were just examples of situations in where you wouldn't necessarily use spam.

<!--quoteo(post=1714282:date=Jun 27 2009, 04:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 27 2009, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds more like SimCity than an RTS to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try to come up with more constructive criticism or just don't say anything at all.

Who knows we could all be in for a treat. I'm just sitting tight till Alpha.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714373:date=Jun 28 2009, 02:35 AM:name=Xain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xain @ Jun 28 2009, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try to come up with more constructive criticism or just don't say anything at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I prefer to speak in a round-about manner. You know, let people infer things from what I say and imply, and come up with their own conclusions. I'm not only being constructive, I'm also fostering mental growth in the community.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714438:date=Jun 27 2009, 11:41 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 27 2009, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer to speak in a round-about manner. You know, let people infer things from what I say and imply, and come up with their own conclusions. I'm not only being constructive, I'm also fostering mental growth in the community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was the most pretentious thing I have read in a while. A discussion is the exchange of concepts ideally done in the most clear and concise manner possible. To have on-going dialogue, we need to be able to understand each other points without having to guess the meaning of those points. Your comment does not contribute to the dialogue because, as you admitted, you haven't said anything. You are not fostering mental growth in the community, you are trying to cover for the lack of credence behind your statement.
    Let me spell it out more simply for you.
    SimCity - build.
    RTS - kill units other people build.
    Alien comm needs less build suggestions and more kill suggestions. You dig?
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    If there are no gorges, I think building is going to be at least one crucial aspect of the hive commander, and I don't think that's avoidable without having gorges again.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714465:date=Jun 28 2009, 03:19 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 28 2009, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me spell it out more simply for you.
    SimCity - build.
    Alien comm needs less build suggestions and more kill suggestions.
    You dig?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your incorrect.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714465:date=Jun 28 2009, 04:49 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 28 2009, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me spell it out more simply for you.
    SimCity - build.
    Alien comm needs less build suggestions and more kill suggestions. You dig?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd say that depends on your playstyle and which RTS you are playing.
  • FrostFire626FrostFire626 Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63207Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RTS - kill units other people build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That just doesn't make any sense AT ALL.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien comm needs less build suggestions and more kill suggestions. You dig?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the alien commander is primarily an attack entity, than it is more a lifeform than a commander.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714475:date=Jun 28 2009, 08:38 PM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jun 28 2009, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If there are no gorges, I think building is going to be at least one crucial aspect of the hive commander, and I don't think that's avoidable without having gorges again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe gorges are still in, the concept artwork shows 3 stats a gorge moving upto hive, a gorge "under" the tentacles and then the tentacles retracted and the gorge gone (IE: in commander mode)
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714560:date=Jun 29 2009, 12:25 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jun 29 2009, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe gorges are still in, the concept artwork shows 3 stats a gorge moving upto hive, a gorge "under" the tentacles and then the tentacles retracted and the gorge gone (IE: in commander mode)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They've talked about gorges a lot before too. They have always hinted that there are no real changes to the lifeforms other than abilities.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Infestation and the tactic of spreading it is completely a RTS concept.... not unlike the power grid.

Put simply, adding options for changing the face of the battlefield makes for a deeper experience. Right now the original NS is pretty dynamic... but... the game is so well played out everyone is aware of the "pendulum of power" that a NS game has. A majority of games swing towards the aliens to start. It's up to the aliens to topple that swing over to a win. If the marines get a chance to push the pendulum back (Or even just stop it), the game mostly, eventually, goes to the marines. I actually like this, and to me it suits the personality of the teams (Aliens infest, marines turtle)

Giving the aliens the ability to push out infestation (Via gorge spray, or chamber support) is a valid way for aliens to weaken the effectiveness of marine turtling.

Shut off lights in surrounding areas
    Make some intersections more alien friendly (Like disable lifts, conceal hiding places etc)
    Undo weld points (Or let aliens gum up a door)
    Provide cover for egging
    Infested areas make alien sounds that distract the marines (Like random skulk footsteps, egg evolving sounds, anything that might make a marine check his 6 and fire at something that isn't you)
    Marines walk slower in infested areas (This is an obvious suggestion that's probably too unbalancing, and therefore a bad idea)
    Infested areas can be webbed but since it's under the infestation, marines can't see it

Imagine maps that have each area change in tactic as each side claims it. Infested, it's opened up for alien advantage (vents accessable, hiding places, ladders blocked/disabled). Powered up, it's open for marine advantage (viewing windows to see incoming, security cameras available, vents closed off, back rooms accessable).

And the opposite can be true... What about maps where claiming a spot gives the advantage to the enemy? Infected areas leave doors wide open and fill the room with light, but closes vents. Powered up areas cause the vents to open up and fill the room with smoke, creates a "airlock" entrance being a double door system that is the only way for marines in and out. It's easy to get that area, but hard to hold it.

Sorry but I don't play this game for the kill count, I play it for the surprises. This is one game I don't mind losing at because even a lost game can be satisfying by doing something unexpected that kinda almost coulda worked.